How does the Nikon IR Remote Work?

yeah I have a similar one for my D80. on hte D80 you have to turn on the ability to see the remote in camera ()on the d80 its the same button as the self timer and burst mode) then pressing the remote is like a full press on the camera. on my camera you an increase the time the camera is in 'remote mode' in one of the menus.

if you want to focus first then half press on the cameras shutter then lock the focus, I have my focus lock button programed for exposure lock so i just switch the lens to manual focus so it locks it in position.

for bulb mode you press the remote to start the exposure then press it again to end it. but i normally just take it in lots of 30 second exposures to save counting for however long i need. and then I stack the pictures afterwards either in pp or on camera in the touch up menu.

Well it's not the Nikon IR but a compatible with Nikon so best option may be email the seller?

D40 here

go into menu Shooting mode
options are single, continuous, remote 2secs, remote 10secs, or something similar

the brochure with mine said

"Nikon MLL3 Remote set is done on the camera
On the camera back left side press the bottom button when the screen shows press again, on the right side of screen one of the icons will be highlighted.
Use the directional button(with the OK in the ceter) to highlight the shooting mode (S) Press ok then scrool down to the last icon, press ok again and your
remote should work. Remember, this setting must be turned off to shoot normally.

holding the button down on the remote it will auto focus the camera and then snap the picture, and pressing it quickly will simply snap the picture."

Just a note, I bought a cheapy remote for my D60. For some reason, it sometimes auto focuses and sometimes it doesn't. Could be a dodgy remote or lens/settings issue. Rarely use it though so not had a proper chance to try it out.

I have one of these and they work great.

just press the timer button a couple of times and you will see a little symbol come up that signifies the remote control receiver is active. This can be with or wothout a little clock symbol (time delay)

The camera will af and shoot from the remote.

Its great for family/couple portraits and also for tripod work

If you want one with a decent range pick up a universal tv remote from the pound shop, works a lot better than the Nikon one, get's you odd looks from people though :LOL:

That's intriguing! :clap:

Could you explain how to set up a tv remote with a nikon :thinking:

Thanks

Pete

If you want one with a decent range pick up a universal tv remote from the pound shop, works a lot better than the Nikon one, get's you odd looks from people though :LOL:

haha good one... sitting there with a sky remote.. taking pictures haha..

ive sussed it now... the control is a bit hit and miss... if your wanting a shot straight away this control is no good... as there is some delay in it takign the picture..

Back