How low can you go?

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
lets see some car/transport/motorsport shots taken at some real low shutter speeds!

Lets see who can go the lowest and still produce a good shot.

I know some of you can go lower, but i'll get the ball rolling with a 1/8 sec

main.php

my money is on ukaskew to produce a winner :)

1/30th

depending on what browser you are using, you can download an EXIF reader plug in (i'm using firefox, but its built into safari) then you can find out all the data you need from everyones shots (inc your own LOL)

I've yet to finish processing them but I got a few at 1/40 at Goodwood.

With or without IS/VR?

1/30th Matt.

I can't get anything sharp below 1/125! More practice required :p

1/30th

depending on what browser you are using, you can download an EXIF reader plug in (i'm using firefox, but its built into safari) then you can find out all the data you need from everyones shots (inc your own LOL)

Thank you!!

Will look into one of them :D

1/25th at my wee shutter speed experiment in August.

_mg_6347wee8slow.jpg

1/25 at the revival, this is the lowest I've managed, I got it wrong earlier.

IMG_5629.jpg

1/80th is the lowest I've ever gone and got anything useable. Crap compared to the other shots on here but hey ho. I'll try some silly-slow stuff this Satuday and see what I get :)

2865105789_1d877a58fb.jpg

Cool thread. Well my slowest as far as I know is this one at 1/20th (no VR). I posted it recently in my Pirelli Rally Medley thread :D

pirelli051.jpg

Richard, doesn't look carp at all, it's a good one. Good shot Oli. I should point out, mine was taken with IS turned on, I only ever turn it off on the 55-250 when the camera is tripod mounted.

Hi Guys
Kinda been a lurker for a while but thought it was time to come out in the open.
These are not quite as slow as some of you guys .
This first shot was taken at 1/60th of a sec at 102mm. I know its a bit tight in frame but i have learnt a little since then (2 1/2 years ago now) and now tend to give my cars a bit of space to drive in to.

2888927381_125abfcc12_o.jpg

This next one is a little bit faster at 1/80th sec but at 200mm this is from the inside of Druids.

2888927611_ec8c793726_o.jpg

I hope you guys like and look forward to chatting and posting with you more in the future.

Pete

Last edited:
This is managing to pull some cracking shots out the woodwork! I'll have to have a rake through my images.. but off hand I cant think of anything slow speed that's been remarkable.

Richard.. that pic is really good!
Notorious good to see you posting some images.. a bit tight yes but never the less great shots.

Welcome Pete, they both looks pretty darn good to me (y)

my money is on ukaskew to produce a winner :)

Hehe, I have shots at 1/2sec and ridiculous things like that, but I'm not a big fan of the effect as I like a fairly solid area of defined sharpness (my own rule is that 1/4 of the car has to be sharp, otherwise I discount it). I also generally like to shoot at the fastest point of a given circuit as well for a bit of a challenge, which makes anything much slower practically impossible, I'm sure on slow corners it would be possible to get some truly insane shutter speeds.

1/15th is what I'm comfortable with, I don't tend to push it further than that as getting the right sharp bit becomes a lottery otherwise, I like this one though...

1/15 @ 1/100
173258171_9USgW-L.jpg

As a general rule, 1/30 is my 'safe point', I find side-on pans are relatively straightforward at that speed...

1/30 @ 130mm
352902900_rBoiL-L.jpg

For head-on and 3/4 stuff, down to about 1/40 works far better than anything slower in my opinion if you still want a fairly clean image, as you still get a reasonable area of sharpness...

1/40 @ 200mm
290302623_RgzpZ-L.jpg

Enjoying these shots but wondering if anyone will get the paint and easel out soon!

1/60
BTCC_BRANDS0908_326.jpg

I'm sure I have something somewhere down to 1/50 just not on my laptop.

couple at 1/15 and a bike at 1/60

8W0A5425.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

This is my lowest to date 1/80th @137mm

IMG_0283-1.jpg

TBH i do not get involved in seeing how low i can go, as i am not a major fan of the blurr everything. But it also depends on focal length too, is much easier to sharp low shutter pans at anything below 200mm. Also define use-able?

For me this type of shot is about as low as i need to go to get the effect i am after
A mere 1/30, hand held with IS turned off.

Hosted on Fotki

or this at 1/60

Hosted on Fotki

Any lower on these then effect is OTT for me, i did a few lower at the weekend getting just the number sharp but deleted them not my thing.

But cars are easy, try something smaller and normally a tad faster too, all uncropped at 400mm
1/60

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

and a couple at of bread and butter shots, but why would i want to go any lower?
1/125 at 400mm uncropped

Hosted on Fotki

and again

Hosted on Fotki

At shutters slower then those, you lose the title sponsors, or rider/driver identification rendering them useless to alot of people in terms of sponsors etc, but as a work of art, or just maybe give a feel of the event then they may work.

Maybe i shall have a go at some 20sec pans next time out just for the sake of it lol

1/30th

How do you use the built in exif reader in safari?

1/15th
2123496194_a69bfa8039_o.jpg

Ah, cool. sounds good. Will check it out when I get back home. On my sis' laptop at the mo :puke:

Was playing around at Silverstone during qualifying and practice and this was the only half decent one I got at 1/25
IANS6204.JPG

Back