How many pictures would you take to make sure new/used equipment is working?

Name
Dex
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all

The reason why I as this is because On the 19th I bought a sigma 300 for what I thought was a bargain price from mpbphotographic, that weekend I took to the super bikes and after 500 shots the viewfinder went grainy and the lens wouldn't focus, after an hour of trying to get it to work it started up again. I tried to google it but couldn't find anything and as it had fixed itself I thought nothing of it.
This weekend I tried to use it for the British gt and just got nothing, the viewfinders gone grainy again and the lens is simply refusing to work.

Have phoned up today and they say 7 days is adequate time to test a lens, the trouble is I am busy all week so I literally done about 20 shots and all was perfect. I don't know if it was just me but I would of thought 20 or around that number would be ample.

So as the title says How many shots would you take to make sure all is ok with any new/used equipment?

Dex

Mite be the connection between the lens and the camera body, does it have a slight bit of play with the lenses movement? If so it could be lose and the connections mite not be working as they normally should

As you've already discovered a fault, I'd be querying it with MPB straight away and looking for either a refund / exchange immediately, or the promise of a refund or exchange if the same symptoms are present next time you use it. As Joe said above, first make sure it's not user error, or something simple like the lens connection.

However, in answer to this:

How many shots would you take to make sure all is ok with any new/used equipment?

In general I'd initially take 50 or so shots upon delivery of an item (then leave feedback if eBay or TP), and then just use it casually after that.

If anything went wrong fairly soon after (that wasn't user error) I'd be looking to query the purchase whether it was a private seller or business.

Last edited:
Mite be the connection between the lens and the camera body, does it have a slight bit of play with the lenses movement? If so it could be lose and the connections mite not be working as they normally should

Hi Joe, I have just tried it with my 70-200 and my sigma and they both have the tiniest bit of movement. Have looked all round and there is definitely no slight gaps or anything.

As you've already discovered a fault, I'd be querying it with MPB straight away and looking for either a refund / exchange immediately, or the promise of a refund or exchange if the same symptoms are present next time you use it. As Joe said above, first make sure it's not user error, or something simple like the lens connection.

However, in answer to this:

In general I'd initially take 50 or so shots upon delivery of an item (then leave feedback if eBay or TP), and then just use it casually after that.

If anything went wrong fairly soon after (that wasn't user error) I'd be looking to query the purchase whether it was a private seller or business.

To clear up the confusion in my first post, When I first received the lens I took pictures outside in my garden, around 20 shots.

On the 24th august I went to Cadwell Park for the British super bikes, after 500 shots the viewfinder just went grainy and the autofocus would not work.

The last two days 29-30th I went to Brands Hatch where the lens would not work at all.

Have phoned up mpb and they say as the lens is out off 7 days I am not entitled to refund but they will fix it or I can exchange it but unfortunately they have nothing off interest at the moment.

My confidence in MPB is shattered in all honesty after four perfect transactions my purchase before the sigma was a 1d mk3 described as exc+ was absolutely caked in sensor dust (thankfully I have a rocket blower) so I would prefer a refund.

Last edited:
Viewfinder going "Grainy" ?
Sounds like the lens is stopping down a few stops which would point to an electronic signalling/connection issue. Poor service from MPB from the sounds of it. I have never used them but they seem to be well regarded on here.

Sounds like the lens is stopping down a few stops which would point to an electronic signalling/connection issue. Poor service from MPB from the sounds of it. I have never used them but they seem to be well regarded on here.

That's the best way I can describe it, grainy and really dark.

As soon as I swap to other my lenses problem goes away.

Have phoned up mpb and they say as the lens is out off 7 days I am not entitled to refund but they will fix it or I can exchange it but unfortunately they have nothing off interest at the moment.
The 7 day return period (as per their terms and conditions) has expired so why not let them fix it....as they've offered (under their 6 month warranty also detailed in their terms and conditions)

My confidence in MPB is shattered in all honesty after four perfect transactions my purchase before the sigma was a 1d mk3 described as exc+ was absolutely caked in sensor dust (thankfully I have a rocket blower) so I would prefer a refund.
If the 1D MkIII was a recent purchase then it was likely to be 4+ years old and it's not unreasonable that it would have some dust in the mirror box that gets moved around during shipping. Does sensor dust really change a dealer's grading of a camera body?

Bob

I expect the 7 days bit is a Distance Selling Regulation thing, and now that has passed I can see why they won't refund it. However, you're getting a 6 month warranty on all of their 2nd hand items so I would get them to fix it and provided that is done correctly (can't see why not) then you'll have the lens you wanted.

(Seems Canon Bob and I posted at the exact same time!)

The 7 day return period (as per their terms and conditions) has expired so why not let them fix it....as they've offered (under their 6 month warranty also detailed in their terms and conditions)

If the 1D MkIII was a recent purchase then it was likely to be 4+ years old and it's not unreasonable that it would have some dust in the mirror box that gets moved around during shipping. Does sensor dust really change a dealer's grading of a camera body?

Bob

I understand where your coming from but it's the fact that I've spent a lot of money and it has gone wrong on only the second time off using the lens.
It does not seem fair that I cannot get a refund through a lens that is faulty after 500 pictures, I know I am over the 7days by 14 days but I had hoped this lens will last me for years rather than less than 1 month.

Someone I know purchased a camera which had gone by its year guarantee and it went faulty. He got in contact and they refunded him the ŵhole amount he paid.

I'll be completely honest I never thought about dust being in the mirror box then being jiggled around onto the sensor from where it had been posted.
I just assumed it hadn't been cleaned very thoroughly.

I understand where your coming from but it's the fact that I've spent a lot of money and it has gone wrong on only the second time off using the lens. It does not seem fair that I cannot get a refund through a lens that is faulty after 500 pictures, I know I am over the 7days by 14 days but I had hoped this lens will last me for years rather than less than 1 month.
A brand new lens could go wrong shortly after getting it, being electronic there is always the risk it'll have a fault at some point over it's life. It isn't fair but there is no legal reason for MPB (or any other company) to give a refund after the 7 days cooling off period the DSR provides. On this occassion, I think you are being a bit unfair to MPB, I don't see what else they can do for you, other than honour their warranty which they obviously will if they've said they'll fix it for you. And once it's fixed, I'm sure the lens will give you many years happy service.

A brand new lens could go wrong shortly after getting it, being electronic there is always the risk it'll have a fault at some point over it's life. It isn't fair but there is no legal reason for MPB (or any other company) to give a refund after the 7 days cooling off period the DSR provides. On this occassion, I think you are being a bit unfair to MPB, I don't see what else they can do for you, other than honour their warranty which they obviously will if they've said they'll fix it for you. And once it's fixed, I'm sure the lens will give you many years happy service.

Would you take 500 pictures or more to see if a lens is faulty in the first week? Maybe it is me being unreasonable but I do not think many people would take that many pictures. I know some people who take a few months to take that many pictures.

If worse comes to worse and it cannot be repaired what do you think should happen then?

Would you take 500 pictures or more to see if a lens is faulty in the first week? Maybe it is me being unreasonable but I do not think many people would take that many pictures. I know some people who take a few months to take that many pictures.

If worse comes to worse and it cannot be repaired what do you think should happen then?

I wouldn't take 500 pictures in order to test it no, but I wouldn't need too on this occasion at the lens has a 6 month warranty on it and that's what it's there for. So many second hand lenses have no warranty at all so MPB offer a good service here. Only Calumet (to my knowledge) do longer at 12 months.

If they can't get the lens fixed (and presumably it'll go back to Sigma or an authorised repairer so I can't see why it couldn't be fixed) then if it were me I'd expect MPB to replace the lens with another copy or if they can't do that then a full refund. But you can't expect them to make a full refund until they've at least had it back to be repaired.

If the worse come to worse and it cannot be repair,because it came with an g/tee their would have give you a full refund,as i said get asap and the sooner it will get sorted :)

I wouldn't take 500 pictures in order to test it no, but I wouldn't need too on this occasion at the lens has a 6 month warranty on it and that's what it's there for. So many second hand lenses have no warranty at all so MPB offer a good service here. Only Calumet (to my knowledge) do longer at 12 months.

If they can't get the lens fixed (and presumably it'll go back to Sigma or an authorised repairer so I can't see why it couldn't be fixed) then if it were me I'd expect MPB to replace the lens with another copy or if they can't do that then a full refund. But you can't expect them to make a full refund until they've at least had it back to be repaired.

See this is the thing if It cannot be repaired I am not entitled to a refund, all my money is then tied up in mpb and I have to spend more money which I don't think is fair to be able to get a another lens.

See this is the thing if It cannot be repaired I am not entitled to a refund, all my money is then tied up in mpb and I have to spend more money which I don't think is fair to be able to get a another lens.
I've just read through the T&Cs and there isn't anything mentioned about what they will or won't do if a 2nd lens can't be repaired during it's 6 month warranty period, so I wouldn't just presume they won't refund you if they can't fix it - I expect they said you can exchange it for something now if you choose not to have it repaired under it's supplied warranty.

The 1st step really is send it back and get them to look at it, sounds like a dodgy electrical contact on the lens mount.

How do you know it can't be repaired ? ?????????
Send it to them & let them fix it - Your problem could have happened at 1 picture or 50,000 & while you have a Garantee make use of it..

If I bought a car - & put 500miles on it I GARANTEE I WILL NOT get a refund....

How many pictures you take over seven days has nothing to do with MBP, you could have taken 5000. Many cars come with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty, if the engine blows after 3 years and 2 months and you've only don't 40,000 miles that's your tough luck.

Get it repaired under the guarantee, that's what it's there for. If they can not repair it, they would have to refund you.

Also, did you buy the lens online or did you buy from a store.
The DSR stipulates a returns period of 14 calendar days now for goods purchased online

Last edited:
DSR is no longer law- replaced by Consumer Contracts Regulations. You have 14 days to cool off even it weren't faulty. If it bothers you, make a fuss and demand a refund. MPB sent me out a teleconverter missing a lens cap. I made a fuss- they sent one out by 24 hour courier- god knows how much that cost them.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Did not know that, doesn't seem like much of a fuss has been made of it. Anyway, by my maths today is the 14th day since you purchased, so probably 12-13 days since delivery so time to get on the old dog and bone!

..... Anyway, by my maths today is the 14th day since you purchased, so probably 12-13 days since delivery so time to get on the old dog and bone!
The return of goods under the old DSR and new CCR is based on how you would appraise your purchase had it been made in a shop and not simply use it and then decide it's not wanted or suitable
"The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop"

Taking 500 shots over two weekends doesn't really fit the intended safeguards of the system.

Bob

The return of goods under the old DSR and new CCR is based on how you would appraise your purchase had it been made in a shop and not simply use it and then decide it's not wanted or suitable
"The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop"

Taking 500 shots over two weekends doesn't really fit the intended safeguards of the system.

Bob
I do understand that, but we aren't talking about an unwanted lens here but a faulty one. I only said to get on the phone (on finding out it's now 14 days rather than 7) is because MPB had said they wouldn't refund as it was after 7 days, however if the new rule is a 14 day refund well at least there is somewhere to go - again given the case of this being a faulty lens rather than an unwanted one.

Agreed seems a electronic signalling/connection issue, I would send it back asap

I do understand that, but we aren't talking about an unwanted lens here but a faulty one. I only said to get on the phone (on finding out it's now 14 days rather than 7) is because MPB had said they wouldn't refund as it was after 7 days, however if the new rule is a 14 day refund well at least there is somewhere to go - again given the case of this being a faulty lens rather than an unwanted one.
I'd agree that it should go back to MPB but was just pointing out that the old DSR and newer CCR are intended to replicate the conditions one would expect in a shop....ie, you handle it, maybe take a test shot or two and then decide whether to purchase. This is a warranty issue, plain and simple.

Bob

Back