How much for a 2nd hand Canon 300mm f2.8?

Depends on condition obviously, and new prices are due to rise shortly which will have an effect on 2nd hand prices. There's a mint UK one on ebay at the mo with a starting price of just over £2,100 and no bidders last time I looked.

I take it you mean the IS version? Non IS versions tend to be quite a bit cheaper.

Depends on condition obviously, and new prices are due to rise shortly which will have an effect on 2nd hand prices. There's a mint UK one on ebay at the mo with a starting price of just over £2,100 and no bidders last time I looked.

I take it you mean the IS version? Non IS versions tend to be quite a bit cheaper.

Yeah IS it is.... Had a play with one and damn they are one heavy bugger!! Certainly not hand holding one of them

Yeah IS it is.... Had a play with one and damn they are one heavy bugger!! Certainly not hand holding one of them

It's certainly handholdable. I paid £2400 for mine in mint condition.

HTH

Bob

Looks nice this one...

CLICKY

Well, it is heavy, but it would be like having a day off compared to carting the 500mm about all the time. :D It will also AF on a non 1 Series body with a 2X TC - so 600mm 5.6 with a 2X TC - can't be bad.

Oh well so they still hold the price well then in the 2nd hand market. I looked on Ebay but to be honest there isnt many there that are used, the majority are BNIB from Hong Kong.

Looks nice this one...

CLICKY

Well, it is heavy, but it would be like having a day off compared to carting the 500mm about all the time. :D It will also AF on a non 1 Series body with a 2X TC - so 600mm 5.6 with a 2X TC - can't be bad.

Your link just bounces me, says referral denied??

It's certainly handholdable. I paid £2400 for mine in mint condition.

HTH

Bob

Sorry I didn't mean it isn't possible to hand hold, I meant I wouldn't be to keen on doing it... my arms would be dead using one for any length of time!

I'd say a decent price would be about £2,200/300 at the mo, for a good condition one

Because it has been described (correctly!) as f/2.8

I reckon £2200-2300 for a good un

I don't use mine much but its a great lens to have. I do hand hold quite a lot and it is a good bird in flight lens. As Cedric says, 600 f/5.6 is a nice option!

Paul

I think they're always going to be a sought after lens which will retain good value. It's a fast comparatively light lens, and the converter options make it very flexible.

I looked on Ebay but to be honest there isnt many there that are used...
I think that must be because people who've spent the best part of £3,000 on one of these are pretty sure they want one. So the only used ones will be distress sales.

And if you think used 300mm f/2.8s are rare, try buying a used 500mm f/4. They're non-existent. I had a situation last autumn where a customer dropped my 500mm f/4, causing damage which was quite noticeable but ultimately only cosmetic, and she offered to buy it off me rather than pay to get it repaired. Trouble was, we had no way of working out what would be a fair price for a used 500mm f/4 because there's just no market.

I think that must be because people who've spent the best part of £3,000 on one of these are pretty sure they want one. So the only used ones will be distress sales.

And if you think used 300mm f/2.8s are rare, try buying a used 500mm f/4. They're non-existent. I had a situation last autumn where a customer dropped my 500mm f/4, causing damage which was quite noticeable but ultimately only cosmetic, and she offered to buy it off me rather than pay to get it repaired. Trouble was, we had no way of working out what would be a fair price for a used 500mm f/4 because there's just no market.
Got my 500 used for £2700 mint with lenscoat and wimberly foot.

dont want to hijack but seeing as people have discussed other lenses how much would you pay for a second hand 300m f4? :p

I sold mine for 590 inc postage a few weeks ago on here

Looks like 2K then

I got mine just before Christmas from Kerso.The only thing I can say is I'm in Heaven..................

IMG_2256_Medium_.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys. The reason I asked is that someone has offered to buy mine off me because I simply dont use it and I had no idea what the resell value was.

I may just consider letting it go seeing as it has been used once in the last 3 months and I dont think motorsports or football is going to be my thing.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Well I must have been very lucky when I got mine then. £1200 with a 10-22 thrown in. Its the 2.8 IS and is in good nick. Probably right place right time.

I can't ever remember seeing one for less than £2000.
£1200 with a 10-22 brings it down to around £900.....I have to say I'd be more than suspicious if I saw one anywhere near that price and even the older non-IS ones are usually £1500+ in good nick.
You got the bargain of the decade there Neil.

Bob

Let me elaborate a little.... The 10-22 was erroring so I sent it off to see what the damage would be for a full fix. Was quoted £230 so i declined, I think it probably had a knock and maybe the fact it was taken apart helped fix the issue. so I got lucky on that lens.
Interesting that with the 300 the chap was emigrating too Oz and I mentioned it in passing that if he went and didn't want the hassle of taking it, I'll have It off him. In the end he asked £1200 for it. With the 10-22 thrown in, I remember speaking to CT aboutbit at the time and he said something along ''madness'' lines if I didn't go for it.
He even let me pay for it over 3 months :)

thats awesome...:D

wish someone would sell me a 100-400 or a 300m f4 like that ;p

Well I must have been very lucky when I got mine then. £1200 with a 10-22 thrown in. Its the 2.8 IS and is in good nick. Probably right place right time.
That sounds extremely suspicious to me.

Well, I hadn't refreshed the page so I hadn't seen your explanation of the circumstances.

But usually, if someone is selling something for w-a-y below the market price, then there's a fair chance that it hasn't been acquired by entirely legitimate means.

Well the cheapest I've ever seen one is £1,800 and that was for a pretty scruffy one, so if it was sold legitimately then you've got the bargain of the century :eek:

What condition was it in?

I think the fact that these do not come up very often caused problems with estimation. I generally think that some of the top end prices quoted here seem quite high. That's a gut feel and not at all based on fact :)
The lens came from a pro-tog so it's been used but is still intop condition. The original carrier and floppy leather lens cover are both still in OK nic.
Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

I got mine in similar circumstances, a mate of mine was buggering off to Oz and decided his togging gear wasnt what he wanted to take so I took his 300.

Only problem I had with it was he got rid of the carry case, the latch on the box wasnt very safe and once or twice it opened whilst he was carrying it , fortunately the inside strap that velcro's shut is quite strong and it saved it. Anyway was way too scared of it happening again so he ditched it.

Only problem is though you cant really get many discreet bags that will take a camera a few lenses and a 300 all at once, smallest one looks like a small suitcase!

Back