How to catch a Racing pigeon

Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the right place to post!
We've had a racing pigeon taken up residence in our back garden I noticed it about 4 weeks ago and it is still here, I've just started feeding it seed and can get within a whisker of it! Any bright ideas on what to do? Surely it should of set off again by now!!

Peregrine.

Seriously.. don't feed it :)

Not sure if this is the right place to post!
We've had a racing pigeon taken up residence in our back garden I noticed it about 4 weeks ago and it is still here, I've just started feeding it seed and can get within a whisker of it! Any bright ideas on what to do? Surely it should of set of ....usually if its been on a journey and absolutely knackered it will stay until it feels strong enough to go, just lay of feeding it for a few days and take it from there as it should go eventually

Last edited:
usually if its been on a journey and absolutely knackered it will stay until it feels strong enough to go, just lay of feeding it for a few days and take it from there as it should go eventually

It says on some pigeon website to feed and water it for a couple of days! Well I've only done that the last couple of days and it's been here for probably 4 weeks!
Must just be lost!

Seriously.. don't feed it :)

It says on some pigeon website to feed and water it for a couple of days! Well I've only done that the last couple of days and it's been here for probably 4 weeks!
Must just be lost!

Well the web link I posted has advice about how to report it a missing/lost/stray?

A fishing landing net with a decent handle of appropriate size, when its eating ;) ..............well that's what I used :)

Thanks I've already seen this, but if you go through it you have to catch it before they will do owt!!

Oh!! Best of luck sorting out/helping your avian visitor.

If you can get that close, could you throw a sheet / towel over it (carefully, of course)? Then you can pluck and roast it, return it to it's owner.

Shouldn't bother its probably happy,the owner may wring its neck if he thinks its useless.

Shouldn't bother its probably happy,the owner may wring its neck if he thinks its useless.
You think it's retired to the country? :)

"I used to be a racer in my youth. Then one day. I just didn't have the wings for it anymore."

I had this problem. A ringed racing pigeon turned up and so I fed and watered her for a couple of days.

The problem was that she very, very quickly kept bringing back other wayward racing pigeons with her. The numbers increased exponentially - like tribbles. I think neighbours actually thought I'd started keeping racing pigeons.

That was last summer. I had to stop putting seed out on the bird table. I'm still not sure if it was an organised gang or they came from a genuine pigeon loft who just preferred my food. Most of the birds were ringed and were in excellent condition.

I saw, what looked very much like, the original bête noir yesterday. Clearly trying to trick me again. A shiver ran down my spine. I closed the curtains and pretended I was out.

Good luck.

Feed it more then follow this guide.

A knob of butter
500g skinless pigeon breasts, cut into chunks
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 heaped tbsp. of plain flour
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 pint of chicken stock
A large glass of red wine - Or a few bottles if you feel bad about cooking the poor Pigeon.
A few sprigs of thyme
A couple of bay leaves
Salt and pepper
500g readymade all butter puff pastry or make your own
Egg wash

Method
1. Heat the butter in a pan over a high heat and quickly brown the pigeon. You don’t want to cook it for too long or the meat will toughen. Take the pigeon out of the pan and put it into a bowl for later.

2. Splash the pan with oil, reduce the heat slightly and chuck in the onion, leek, garlic, bacon and carrots. Stir until the vegetables are soft and golden and the bacon has browned. Stir in the flour and let it cook out for a minute or so, before stirring in the tomato puree and pouring over the stock and wine.

3. Tie the thyme and bay together with a little kitchen string and add it to the pot. Season generously and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.

4. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C Fan)/400°F/Gas Mark 6.

5. Roll out the puff pastry on a work surface lightly dusted with flour to the thickness of a £1 coin. Slice off a long strip as wide as the pie dish. Use a little of the egg wash to stick the strip round the rim of the dish.

6. Stir the pigeon along with any juices into the sauce and spoon it into the pie dish.

7. Brush the strip of pastry with more egg and lift your sheet of puff pastry over the top. Pinch the edges with your fingers (or alternatively press around the edges with a fork) before trimming the edges with a sharp knife. Brush the top with egg wash and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and deep golden brown.

I used to catch feral pigeons by hand as a kid for fun - best approach was to sit on a bench, lean forward with food around your feet - when the pigeon is directly below you facing away from you just drop your hands over its wings and pick it up - saves damage from a quick grab of a tail or one wing etc - must try that again sometime! The other method is box and stick - food under box fishing line tied to stick etc - but a bit tricky to get them out of the box with that method...

Yes..You're absolutely right. Several years ago I was in the same situation and checked the ring number.It had flown from the Republic of Ireland..I was asked to call a local fancier..a rather unpleasant man turned up..To this day I feel I made the wrong decision.

Den is right…Feed it as you are doing plus plenty of water,that's more important than the seed..same with humans, we can get along for quite a while without food but not water When you feel it has recovered you can stop doing that but you've given it a fighting chance.

Traubrey..That was a very funny account..:D They say pigeons are rather stupid..obviously not the one that called in on you. lol.

Neither is the sod trampling the seedlings on balcony. It's gone beyond Man vs Beast and I am now convinced he's mocking me.

He doesn't even try to eat the seed. He just lands on the right hand planter and then stomps his way right across the balcony, pausing only to check that I'm watching.

Neither is the sod trampling the seedlings on balcony. It's gone beyond Man vs Beast and I am now convinced he's mocking me.

He doesn't even try to eat the seed. He just lands on the right hand planter and then stomps his way right across the balcony, pausing only to check that I'm watching.

no good without a photo!!!

Adopt it and call it Fred or Freda..I don't know how you'd tell the difference though.

You could find out with either one of these methods.

Route 1. See if it lays an egg.

Failing that…. Get a DNA sample :D

Yes.. Agree with Bill..get a photo up.

Last edited:
Build a racing pigeon loft, buy a few more and attract this one in

They are not bad cooked in red wine

Do you want to be the keeper of a pigeon? If it's at your place then it's a pretty bad racer/homer and it's probably unwanted. If left to it's own it will probably eventually take up with the local pigeon population. And by the time winter comes around it should have acclimated and do just fine.

If you do want to catch it for some reason, these birds are generally pretty tame and used to cages... they are pretty easily lured inside w/ food as long as they can see thru/out of the cage/box.

Back