how to get moon sharper

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Because i am the newest of the new please be kind lol
How would i take this photo of the moon in broad daylight and get it sharper because it seems a little hazy or is it because i was not useing a tripod
404223972.jpg

is this cropped in?
get the sweet spot of your lens, which might not be wide open
you've shot at f5.6...maybe f8 would be better
also my 70-300 was just softer at 300mm so I pulled back to 280 ish to get some extra sharpness most of the time.
if you shoot at night, then effectively you're shooting daylight as that's what you're trying to capture, it's more complicated I'm sure when you are shooting before the sun sets

If you mean crop on computer no I zoomed to full 300 on lens just seems to lack detail so wondered if it should have been on a tripod for a longer exposure

cannot afford hubble and I thought the sky looked perfectly clear.
Or is it just a sarcastic comment ? with me been new to photography i would not know so not that helpful

I took this held held with a 70-300mm VR, f5.6, 1/500s, shot at 300mm. It's far from perfect and isnt edited ( apart from a crop ) but there is some detail.

afternoon moon by damianmkv, on Flickr

What looks clear might be hazy. What's your shutter speed because handheld at 300mm, you need atleast 1/500s to minimise shake.

cannot afford hubble and I thought the sky looked perfectly clear.
Or is it just a sarcastic comment ? with me been new to photography i would not know so not that helpful

no sarcasm at all, presuming you want a big enough frame filling photo for printing. The moon looks very small to us!

A tripod and long exposures are useless for the moon usually. As shown above, you want a fast shutter speed, especially if you try to shoot it at night. The moon is mega bright, longer exposures just wash it out. And your average lens with 200-300mm reach will require major image cropping in post.

Half moon November by Cagey75, on Flickr

A tripod would help, but not, as already mentioned for a longer exposure.

There is no need for long exposures for the moon because it is so bright.

As you took the shot during the day it is likely the atmosphere is more turbulent than it would be at night. The moving air would, unfortunately, tend to make the image less sharp.

A shot using a tripod and at night, along with stopping down a tad and just back from full zoom is likely to give better results.

Dave

i took this last night on a tripod wit a 400mm 2.8 with a 2x converter but still need to improve any tips

Last edited:
Excellent, Robert. You should be well pleased with that one.

Dave

Here's a few I took a few years ago using a digiscoping set-up.
My D300 and Nikon spotting scope.

The moon can be blindingly bright so speeds of 1/800 or faster can easily be used.

I used a tripod and remote shutter release to try and minimise any camera shake.
Be aware that the moon moves quite rapidly.
I'd set it up just before the trajectory of the moon to give me a few seconds as it passed across my view to take the shots.

3262895760_42a9b00118_n.jpg

2274045407_abac610256_n.jpg

485243477_3f1ffc4691_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just read the topic and decided to give it a go with 70-200 on 1dmk3

Quite surprised that got anything decent ...

small_moon.jpg

Basically, as long a lens as you have, with a TC if it gives good enough quality with the lens it's to be used behind, then start by using the sunny f/16 rule of thumb, check on the rear screen and adjust the exposure accordingly.

... then start by using the sunny f/16 rule of thumb, check on the rear screen and adjust the exposure accordingly.

I'm trying moon shots with a humble Canon 55-250 IS, doing reasonably well, considering. What is this f/16 rule, Nod, & will it help me?
Thanks,
Mike.

and after it all remember that turbulence in the atmosphere can affect the 'seeing' quality of the moon (and night sky) which can make it look soft

I'm no expert but good sturdy tripod, calm night, mirror lock up would increase your chances of sharp images.

2 second timer or remote trigger make a huge difference.

Forgot to say in my previous link.

I always use live view for the moon.
You can then use the image magnification facility to fine tune the focus.

Back