How to save big money on wedding photographer

Hahaha , I'm sure someone has gone down this route though .

Excellent kink.
Should be a mandatory read for those planning to sign their lives away...

Ha ha, I was getting more and more irritated the more I read until all became clear in the last part!

As soon as I saw the cost of equipment rental I could see where it was going :)

Would be really relevant if all the numbers were not rubbish. I have everything other than the skill to shoot a wedding.

If I just wanted some memories of a day, I would pay someone very very little and get them to do it for me. If I was in a position where it was either a photographer or my mortgage I'd give a student my camera and accept the photo's.

Making fun of those who cannot afford the best of everything is in very bad taste. Some people are struggling to pay the mortgage, and feed the kids. If they chose to save a few quid on something which is not overly important to them does not mean people on the internet should deride them for it.

Making fun of those who cannot afford the best of everything is in very bad taste. Some people are struggling to pay the mortgage, and feed the kids. If they chose to save a few quid on something which is not overly important to them does not mean people on the internet should deride them for it.

I don't think the point of it was to poke fun at those that can't afford it but rather to make light of the fact that people think if they had the top gear they could rival pro's images. Just because I go out and buy a Ferrari doesn't mean I can drive it like Michael Schumacher.

Would be really relevant if all the numbers were not rubbish. I have everything other than the skill to shoot a wedding. If I just wanted some memories of a day, I would pay someone very very little and get them to do it for me. If I was in a position where it was either a photographer or my mortgage I'd give a student my camera and accept the photo's. Making fun of those who cannot afford the best of everything is in very bad taste. Some people are struggling to pay the mortgage, and feed the kids. If they chose to save a few quid on something which is not overly important to them does not mean people on the internet should deride them for it.

Wooosh, that's was the sound of the joke passing by your head.

Think you may have missed the point.

Last edited:
Would be really relevant if all the numbers were not rubbish. I have everything other than the skill to shoot a wedding.

If I just wanted some memories of a day, I would pay someone very very little and get them to do it for me. If I was in a position where it was either a photographer or my mortgage I'd give a student my camera and accept the photo's.

Point. Missed :D

Go on then - I'm too tired and/or stupid to get the point...

What is hilarious about this?

I think the point is to justify the cost. People think togs charge a fortune but when it gets broken down its not that much profit after all.

I think the point is to justify the cost.

And like most of these stupid clickbait things, it spends most of the time 'justifying' the cost by adding up the price of gear. Which is missing the point. If you're selling your services based on the fact that you have a fancy camera, you probably won't last too long. Yes, it mentions training as well. But again it's justifying prices because the photographer spent money on training.

A product or service is worth whatever it's intrinsic value is to the end user. The cost of production is entirely irrelevant to anyone except the supplier.

I would think people with kids to feed and mortgage,are probably already married .

:)

Is the point of this story not to mock the people who would prefer to spend money on diamond encrusted cake toppers while complaining photography is a waste of money? Not those struggling to pay the mortgage. That's how I took it and it gave me a chuckle.

Is the point of this story not to mock the people who would prefer to spend money on diamond encrusted cake toppers while complaining photography is a waste of money? Not those struggling to pay the mortgage. That's how I took it and it gave me a chuckle.

Exactly. Think the point of it has been missed and taken the wrong way by those who have had a sense of humour bypass

How is that any better? Photography is a luxury purchase just like anything else at a wedding. Just because some wedding photographers think they are owed a living doesn't mean you should mock people for making choices that don't benefit you.

How is that any better? Photography is a luxury purchase just like anything else at a wedding. Just because some wedding photographers think they are owed a living doesn't mean you should mock people for making choices that don't benefit you.

I didn't say it was better. Merely pointing out that at no point does it mock people who can't pay the mortgage.

Personally I don't think people put enough importance on the photography at a wedding. I got married 2 years ago and when I look at what is left of the day, in reality the only things that last past the day are the dress (boxed in the loft), shiny rings (not so shiny now) and the photos (of course the wife could be added to that list :) ). Granted we have lots of memories too, but these are enhanced by the photos.

At a rough average of 850 quid that's about 5 % of the average wedding cost excluding honey moon which is pretty serious if you ask me!

I think the point is to justify the cost. People think togs charge a fortune but when it gets broken down its not that much profit after all.

In order to justify the cost, or not, work out how much someone gets paid per hour (after expenses).

Personally I don't think people put enough importance on the photography at a wedding

It's not very important. The marriage is the important bit. When you read some posts here and on Photo.Net, you would think that weddings are arranged as photo sessions with everything else being of minor importance.

Steve.

Last edited:
It doesn't make that point particularly well, since it makes a big deal about equipment and training, both of which will serve more than one wedding. So it doesn't realistically articulate the cost of a wedding to a photographer.

I found it funny, thanks for sharing :)

It's not very important. The marriage is the important bit. When you read some posts here and on Photo.Net, you would think that weddings are arranged as photo sessions with everything else being of minor importance.

Steve.

Bang on. We have virtually no photos of our wedding day, doesn't matter. The end result is still the same, and the key memories are words and music not something to look at.

Steve.

I really don't see that at all; sit down and talk to any serious wedding photographer, we do it because we love doing it, if we wanted to arrange a shoot there's a lot better ways of doing it than at someone's wedding surrounded by hundreds of guests.

You see us talking about weddings and photography in the same sentences because (drumroll........)
This is a photography forum :D

Just like cake suppliers talk about cakes, hairdressers talk about hairstyles and products dress designers etc.....

None of us believe it's about "our bit", but we are a bit preoccupied by it, because it's what we do, and when we get together we like to discuss it sometimes.

If you don't want to read threads about wedding photography, pass them by(y)

I think the value of photography is hugely subjective, I love photography, its the thing above all else I am passionate about. I know how much work goes into creating wonderful images... But would I spank 2 grand on wedding photography? No way. Would I spend a grand? Not likely. I would rather spend that cash on a nicer or longer honeymoon (or new lens hahaha}- most of us on a finite income have to make these value judgements somewhere along the line and make hard choices.

And of course, some people just don't value photography at all, and that's fine too.

I think the value of photography is hugely subjective, I love photography, its the thing above all else I am passionate about. I know how much work goes into creating wonderful images... But would I spank 2 grand on wedding photography? No way. Would I spend a grand? Not likely. I would rather spend that cash on a nicer or longer honeymoon (or new lens hahaha}- most of us on a finite income have to make these value judgements somewhere along the line and make hard choices.

And of course, some people just don't value photography at all, and that's fine too.

No one asking you to,but to me the value of a good or great wedding photographer is very under value.
Me i cut back on the drinks bill :)

All that article proves is that some photgraphers feel vulnerable.

Can't believe all the serious comments on the link !!!

Couldn't agree more i am now going into the garden to quietly shoot myself in the head. Lol

If someone cracks a joke tells a funny story etc it isn't supposed to be dissected like a lab rat, if that were the case then 99% of humour then becomes null and void.

Read it, enjoy it, move on. Jeez!

It's an interesting discussion. Whilst we absolutely loved our pro wedding photos, all the ones we gathered together from guests (a few thousand photos) are just as important to us. We put together a nice album of the guest photos and I honestly think if we had lost our pro shots for whatever reason, we would be perfectly happy with the 'free' ones as a memory of our day. If a particular moment is captured the quality of that image didn't matter (within reason) to us.

Beforehand I wouldn't have dreamed of not having a pro, but looking back we could have quite happily managed without one...and this is coming from people who are passionate about photography.

Wow judging by some of the comments on this thread not many have actually shot a wedding!
When you break down the average price into the hours before the wedding prepping and checking equipment (which for any true pro will be far more than an slr and a couple of lenses) then the hours shooting the day and evening even before you get to the long dark hours spent infront of a monitor touching up and editing the 2000 plus images and that's in addition to the stress and responsibility of the most important day of the couples life I would probably be better of flipping burgers at mcdonalds lol

Back