How to Take Stunning Pictures On TV

i am surprised that people are surprised that it was rubbish to be honest. But....

relationship with the subject

Three very important points. How many of you lot would foul up at least one of the above? come on be honest!

Was slightly surprised it was very much the "art" of taking a photograph not the technicalities of how to actually take a photo. Then again, I am just glad there wasn't a 'celebrity' in there....or a nazi shark.

A very big let down, and a shame really cos they could potentially have weekly shows with hints and tips and how to take 'stunning' photos, like a top gear style program but photography, imagine it now, all the latest news and rumours, new kit reviews and test, weekly guests could be pro togs, famous togs, celeb togs, events the list is endless! Any tv producers reading this give me a shout lol

I thought it would be abit more technical to be honest, i'm pretty sure nobody mentioned ISO, shutter speeds or anything like that onceand that's what you need for a solid foundation in photography. Maybe it needs to be abit longer felt like it was squeezed in a little be because thirty minutes isn't a great amount of time. But i don't take much of an interest in portraits so hopefully some of episodes to come will be a little better.

Tonights is repeated on 19.09.10 at midday according to my Freeview EPG.

HTH

Crap no settings explained, and IMHO you can learn more on here in less time than that episode lasted, very disappointed.

I doubt the members of this forum were the target viewing audience..

.. given some of the questions about photography I regularly see on non-photography forums I think this was at a level that could be understood by the majority. Anything that encourages a camera owner to stop and think about the shot they're taking is positive.

The number of people that don't shoot on auto is a small and statistically insiginificant proportion of the camera owning population. Anything too technical would gon straight past most people - and it would be next to impossible to cover these details for every phone cam, compact, bridge and entry-level DSLR on the market.

Overall I thuink this is a positive programme for the hobby of photography on tv.. and BBC4 can be left to deal with the art of photography.

I think for absolute beginners, or rather, people with an idea of how to use their camera on auto, looking to improve their pictures, the program was probably just about pitched right. I think they did use too many technical terms without explaining them, such as 'expose for the bright areas' and then not explaining what or how was a bit silly - so perhaps this episode should have been further into the schedule but I do wonder if they are actually going to explain any of that stuff anyway. My feeling is they will concentrate the series on shooting a theme without necessarily explaining the knowledge needed to shoot it effectively. We shall see.

:bang: Was soooo looking forward to seeing it... then I go and bloody miss it! Forgot to whack it on record cause I was confident I would remember to sit down and watch it!! :bat:

I have to agree, for the first episode, it was a bit bland that my mind started thinking I wish my teacher was as nice as the ballerina... :p

The only thing missing was a disclaimer at the beginning telling viewers that the show does not attempt to replace the need to read the manual... There was no mention of recomposing when subjects were off centre and also about DOF, especially in the shot of the ex-soldier with St Pauls in the background - I wonder who told the learner how to get the foreground and background to be in focus?!

I guess they could say that for the first show, composition and light is the key so will have to see how the rest of the series pans out. No pun intended.

I think for absolute beginners, or rather, people with an idea of how to use their camera on auto, looking to improve their pictures, the program was probably just about pitched right. I think they did use too many technical terms without explaining them, such as 'expose for the bright areas' and then not explaining what or how was a bit silly - so perhaps this episode should have been further into the schedule but I do wonder if they are actually going to explain any of that stuff anyway. My feeling is they will concentrate the series on shooting a theme without necessarily explaining the knowledge needed to shoot it effectively. We shall see.

Got to agree, do not think we are going to get any technical stuff.?????

focus, ISO, apertures, shutter speeds, - you can learn a lot of that from a book - but they did end up with nice pictures - it did show composition and ideas to produce an acceptable editorial portrait. 7/10

I hated the live view thing as well - and the pro was using a Canon - come on - I thought this was a serious programme . . . :)

Last edited:
I think the biggest con was calling it "How to take STUNNING pictures."

The only sensible thing the photog said was that you should take lots of pictures to capture the one shot which stands out.

Which is what I've always said about photographing kids - a few pics might give you a record - lots of pics give you the chance to get that special shot.

But I'm afraid it follows the general tone of "Dumbed-down-ness" so prevalent these days on many programmes.

Given everyone seems to have been given Panasonic Lumix cameras to use, I think it's likely to be one giant advert personally.

Agree with most: disappointing. Had this on Sky+ but stopped watching at the interval and started reading this thread instead. Not sure I would even show this to my GCSE students.

Did anyone catch it today?
I put it to record a while back, totally forgot

is a good show for a beginner (like myself) to watch

only made better by the beautiful Suzie Perry
199470_1.jpg

(just for those who don't know who she is, or if they want to gawk at her :p)
(i'm lucky enough to have met her by where I park in birmingham, near their offices in Digbeth :D)

this weeks episode was on Portraits, there is 6 eps in total

it comes on Tuesday @ 7.30pm channel 5

(sorry if a repost, I did look, bet I missed it)

i just watched it, very simple, give little tips, most people will know nearly all the bits, but good for the beginner :)

Thanx for the link for five demand or whatever it's called. To be quite honest, even if I was a complete noob, I'd rather watch stuff on youtube, much more helpful than this crap. What did they actually teach here? F' all IMHO.

Thanx for the link for five demand or whatever it's called. To be quite honest, even if I was a complete noob, I'd rather watch stuff on youtube, much more helpful than this crap. What did they actually teach here? F' all IMHO.

Is it that bad? Not seen yet but I imagine it's just amateurs with compacts learning about the rule of thirds?

I guess they could say that for the first show, composition and light is the key so will have to see how the rest of the series pans out. No pun intended.

But the problem was they didn't even explain it. They mentioned composition and light but not how!

My partner is an secondary school art teacher but not at all knowledgable on photography and she'd set watching this as homework for some of the kids. She has always wanted to learn and be better at photography but she even said how rubbish it was and that she learnt nowt watching it. She now has to go in and apologise to the kids for making them watch it :crying:

I was a bit surprised that nobody commented on the fact that they took all their pictures the wobbly way - holding the cameras at arms length and looking at the LCD screens.

I was also disappointed, and shouting out what pictures I would have taken.

If I wanted a 'funny' photo of the guy with metal legs, for example, I'd have taken a shot of him from behind actually buying the ice-cream.

Anyone else rather sceptical about the apparently amateurish nature of the guys on the show whose chosen shots then just happen to be actually really good?

It mentioned the 'rule of thirds', but didn't really go into much detail as to why it works, or give other examples.

I was hoping for a more technical programme than this, but maybe that will come later, and it's still nice to know that you're doing the basics right!

Back