HP5+ Dynamic Range question

Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a rough idea of the dynamic range of HP5 from shadow to highlights? I have just taken a photo where the difference is 3.5-4 stops and wondered whether any compensation in development would be needed?

Probably a daft question but I dont develop my own so don't have a clue!

Thanks.

Depends on the speed rating of the film and your developer, and then on scanning/printing methods, equipment and chemicals. You should be fine with that range, as long as you develop for the right time.

Generally you get three stops of underexposure and four of overexposure from zone V (middle grey), so you should be fine, yes. If you were developing yourself I'd recommend that you dilute 1+3 or something, with ID-11.

Nope, definitely no need to process differently! But for future reference it would be a pull. Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights ;)

generally you would only alter the developement time if you had under or over exposed the film ,not just because it had a wide difference in light ( stops ), but just be aware that if you over develope you will kill any detail you ( had ) in the shadows .

generally you would only alter the developement time if you had under or over exposed the film ,not just because it had a wide difference in light ( stops ), but just be aware that if you over develope you will kill any detail you ( had ) in the shadows .

I'm not sure about this! Over development doesn't affect shadows as much as it does highlights, in my experience. For a low contrast scene I tend to expose for the shadows +2 stops and over develop by a few minutes (three or so). Shadows nearly always come out fine, give or take a small amount of detail and meter errors and so on. Highlights continue to develop long after shadows do.

Back