B&W Humber Bridge Abstract

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
I recently posted this in the B&W shots thread but thought I'd add to this thread with it being architecture.

It was taken early one morning at the end of last year from the north shore.The flare from shooting into the sun was frustrating but I can live with it!

i'd welcome any feedback

Humber Bridge
by Buck_68, on Flickr

I really like it Adrian,and im not usually a fan of abstract stuff. Why didn't you pop over the bridge to the south side. Its only £1.50 now you tight Yorkshireman. ;)

This give a really good "giantic" feeling. The flare dosen't bother me, I actually quiet like the big arc to the right of the bridge. Nice shot!

Thanks Thomas - appreciate the feedback

I really like it Adrian,and im not usually a fan of abstract stuff. Why didn't you pop over the bridge to the south side. Its only £1.50 now you tight Yorkshireman. ;)

£1.50 - how much :D Yes, I must drive over and get some more shots form the south side. I would have on the day but I was heading to Spurn Point and was already a little behind schedule but have wanted to take these shots for some time!

You have to pay to cross it??

What a wonderful shot - there's nothing about it that I dislike.

Thanks Joe (y)

It's amazing trust after i saw this picture I was experimenting with the angle. Can you please share how did you manage this shot. This is not a straight shot as far as think.
Would love to know.

Hi Steve,

This shot is pretty much as it was taken on the day with me just raising the exposure slightly under the bridge and then converting to B&W

I spent about 15 minutes getting myself set up as "dead centre" as I could and using my 17-40 lens I wanted to get this abstract feel and non-typical view of the bridge. I was blessed with blue skys, some cloud and a bright sun which helped give the reflectio on the water and also the misty effect on the far shore.

From memory I was using my 0.9 and 0.6 grad filters as well as my polarising and I'm sure it is the stacking of all of these that led to the flare.

This give a really good "giantic" feeling. The flare dosen't bother me, I actually quiet like the big arc to the right of the bridge. Nice shot!
Yep, it's the sense of scale that nails this one for me. I love the tones, too. The way the far bridge parapet is disappearing into the haze is just great.

That means I pretty much did everything wrong to get that feel. So, you have any specific domain that work on.

Sorry Steve, I don't understand your question?

Yep, it's the sense of scale that nails this one for me. I love the tones, too. The way the far bridge parapet is disappearing into the haze is just great.

thanks Peter

Really, really good. The fact you can't see it's a suspension bridge makes it look even more spectacular.

Lovely shot. Spotted this earlier and meant to comment.
Would work really well as a long exposure too in my opinion.

Hi Aaron - I have along exposure but from a different angle but agree one from the same as above would have been good (Why didn't I think of it at the time .o_O

Hey I forgot a word there. I meant, do you have any specific niche, like travel photography, wild life etc.

My passion is landscape but I dabble in a bit of everything ;)

Very nice. I reckon a version with the sun hidden behind the bridge would work nicely as well (if it's possible from that viewpoint).

Hi James. Yes, it is possible. I've got another shot from a slight angle which I took to hide the sun behind the bridge. I couldn't stay later that day but a shot taken later in the day (at this time of year, midday is almost spot on) would get the sun directly overhead and out of view with a halo around the bridge. Will put that on the list for my next visit. :)

Love the perspective, great depth. My only suggestion would be to try and balance the vignette either side. It's a bit darker on the left which detracts.

A touch more contrast and drama. There may be a bit of lens flare on the right too? Still nice shot though.

Hi, I might try that. Yes, unfortunately some flare as I mentioned - I had a couple of filters and the polariser on the front so I was pushing it a bit!

Thanks for the feedback

Back