I Got an A!!!

Some very much deserved self congratulations. A fantastic set of images.

DB

Balloon was hung from my washing line in bright sunlight and shot with flash to light the balloon but not the background.

No fancy triggers, and continuous shoot is no use as the flash will only fire once without recharging. So it's just timing it all correctly for the one shot.

John

I can tell you must of worked very hard for them pictures and thats showed off. There really great. Well done!

I may have a go at trying to recreate some of them :)

I have just dug out a party ballon pack guess what im doing this evening.

well done great set cant wait to see your what next pictures!

Michael.

Awesome work! Well deserved A. :)

? You say it was Bright sun and your flash was brighter then the sun so you got a black background?
How many stops can a Speedlites 580 be over a bright sun?
So how did you bust the balloon?
I am intrigued now

It's not so much to do with the power of flash. More to do with the exposure being too fast for daylight to appear.

The balloon was shot at 1/800th with f7.1 so that the daylight was massively underexposed and just went black. Flash was then set in high speed sync mode to light correctly for these settings.

Balloon was burst with a scalpel blade stuck in the end of a brush shaft, then cloned out in PP.

HTH and is clear enough?

John

Last edited:
How did you do the first one? Can't seem to get my head around how the background is so very very black, but the colours on the ball and on the water spray are so vibrant. They are beautiful pics.

Ignore this post...i've just read the answer further up......still can't get my head round the darkness of the background ***!

Last edited:
First one is shot against a black bed sheet, - 1/100th at f18, again underexposing the ambient light.

The ball is backlit with a flash gun from each side.

John

All very striking, tennis ball is something I've never seen before.
I'm not surprised at all you got the A. I guess that's the best you can do? As in there is no A* or A+? You were robbed if there is!

Tennis ball is obviously spinning, it was dipped in water and then spun!

Anyone guess how it was spun?

John

well as no-one has guessed any chance you can tell us?

I love shots 1-9 but don't think the light trail quite fits in with the rest of them (although in a different context would be a good shot in it's own right)

some really good images there Congrats

Cheers guys for the lovely comments. It only goes A,B,C etc. theres no + or -

It was a full time HND course of which these images came from my second and final year.

The tennis ball is infact spinning on the spot, all that was needed was a drawing pin, elastic band and some kind of stand/hook.

Put the drawing pin through the centre of the elastic band and into the tennis ball. Hang from the hook, wind up and hey presto! Dip it in water and let it go. Pretty simple really. Though I though it was quite ingenious lol

John

Excellent set. Really well done!

...prefer the left slant than the right , must be something to do with reading, (left to rught), just flows better,...

That's it exactly. Most of the western world reads from top-left to bottom-right. Hence line going diagonally from TL to BR viewed by someone who reads that way will give the viewer the impression of order and calm. Line going the other way (BL to TR) introduces drama and perhaps unease.

George.

Back