I got called a weirdo for carrying a camera...

I've not had any abuse yet actually, but I suppose it's all about how you look. For example, I'm a 20 year-old male student, so if some moron sees me with a camera, they'll probably think I'm a geek and leave me in peace.

As soon as I hit my 30s, 40s etc then at best we'll be perceived as weirdos, at worst terrorists or paedophiles!

Just wondering, how many ladies/women/girls (chose whichever term you find less insulting :D ) get accused of being paedos/wierdos?

I'm female, 21.. I don't think I look like your average pervert :confused:
Never had any insults, just some horrid youths one night when I was out with my camera, one said:
"lemme avvago wiv ya camra luv..."

Hmm.. now let me think... NO!

Beside that, not a peep!

You are all in a daft mood!...I was in Chester in Sept. taking pictures, and had not the slightest problem...

I'm just starting Photography, so no problems surrounded me yet. Haven't been out in public with the Camera yet, so can't get in trouble :p

You are all in a daft mood!...I was in Chester in Sept. taking pictures, and had not the slightest problem...

Chester is a Tourist city, and there are that many people there with Camera's we're just used to it.

Some cretins just love a ghost of an excuse to get all self-righteous and indulge in self-important bellowing. Tabloid-reading scum. Rule 303 for the lot of 'em.

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting to the forum but I suppose I should start somewhere.

I have never experienced any abuse whilst out and about with my camera,but on occasions have had some strange looks.

Im sure 99.9% of a photographers objective is to enjoy their hobby, without fear or hindrance from anyone and in particular the mindless minority,who think everyone carrying a camera is a paedophile or terrorist.

If someone approached me and called me a terrorist or a P****,not only would I be offended,but would be concerned for my personal safety.
Lets face it, in todays society,you only have to appear to look at someone the 'wrong way' to give them an excuse to attack you or beat you to a pulp.

Under the circumstances where a tog is called a P**** or terrorist, and you feel threatened or distressed, then why not, as is your right, use the law to protect you ?

Im talking about Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

It says
A person is guilty of an offence if he:
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Now correct me if Im wrong, but calling someone a paedophile or terrorist is abusive and insulting and if it is said to most people, particularly togs going about enjoying their hobby,then I would suggest that it would cause harassment,alarm and distress.

I for one would have no hesitation, if I found myself in a situation, in contacting the police.

In this time of advocating photographers rights re: being stopped by the police, why not use the law to protect us, from those who seek to tarnish us with the 'same brush'?

Some food for thought and I look forward to your thoughts

Cheers

david700

At least most of you guys are white British. Try being an asian in Britain carrying a camera. You'd think you had "Terrorist" painted on your forehead, the way people look at you!

I agree with whoever it was that said it is part of a modern malais. It is a similar situation to the rescue services being called to a cul-de-sac, whereupon the road is blocked behind them with cars and then the fire engine and crew are set upon.

You might think it is different, but it isn't - it is actually part of our hunting gene surfacing. The youths or whoever see someone a bit different, that makes them a target and the taunts are the beginning of the hunt.

I don't get any trouble, even shootin gon the street, simply because if someone comes up and asks/demands or starts pontificating I simply give them a response to suit - fro total arcasm to a "what the F*uck is it to do with you."

Just don't back down and tell them to bloody well b*gger off. :bat:

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting to the forum but I suppose I should start somewhere.

I have never experienced any abuse whilst out and about with my camera,but on occasions have had some strange looks.

Im sure 99.9% of a photographers objective is to enjoy their hobby, without fear or hindrance from anyone and in particular the mindless minority,who think everyone carrying a camera is a paedophile or terrorist.

If someone approached me and called me a terrorist or a P****,not only would I be offended,but would be concerned for my personal safety.
Lets face it, in todays society,you only have to appear to look at someone the 'wrong way' to give them an excuse to attack you or beat you to a pulp.

Under the circumstances where a tog is called a P**** or terrorist, and you feel threatened or distressed, then why not, as is your right, use the law to protect you ?

Im talking about Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

It says
A person is guilty of an offence if he:
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Now correct me if Im wrong, but calling someone a paedophile or terrorist is abusive and insulting and if it is said to most people, particularly togs going about enjoying their hobby,then I would suggest that it would cause harassment,alarm and distress.

I for one would have no hesitation, if I found myself in a situation, in contacting the police.

In this time of advocating photographers rights re: being stopped by the police, why not use the law to protect us, from those who seek to tarnish us with the 'same brush'?

Some food for thought and I look forward to your thoughts

Cheers

david700

Sadly David the police are little better than the public in many cases, your more lightly to be arrested than the person calling you names.

Welcome david700.

To be called a paedophile or terrorist in a public place would very up setting indeed, if it ever happens to me i will call the police and if i can i will press charges.

I call this utter humiliation. end off.

Del

My weirdest so far went something like this...

What ARE you doing???

Taking your photo

WHAT !!!

Well you are good looking and have a natural ability to strike poses which are appealing to me

W T F are you on about !!!???!!!

Look, it's simple, you are a cool looking female, the lighting is excellent, the background is un-obstructive and everything has fallen into place for some cool shots

Get out of here you Pervert!!!

Soz babe - but as you are 18 I'm totally at liberty to take photos of you whether they depict you in a sexual light or not, as it happens you are fully clothed so what's your problem?

My problem is that you're a Pervert wanting to take photos of me - you f-ing wierdo

I see what you're saying - but honestly, you're a pretty girl and deserving of a good set of photos

F-k you m8 - I'm outa here!!!

Okay - that's up to you - but you did pay for this studio shoot, do you want a refund???

:D

DD

Del - I agree - it is humiliation and no one should have to put up with being treated, as some people are.

Swanseamale47 - It is the duty of the police to respond, as soon as possible, to any person who suffers from an offence under the Public Order Act.
Whilst their are good and bad in every job, I would encourage, as is your democratic right, that under any circumstances I indicated in my previous post, that you contact the police,as soon as is possible.

No one should have to go about their daily life and be subjected to unwarranted abuse of any form and the law recognises that, which is what the Public Order Act is for.

Regards

david700

I find it a bit odd that folk have had as much trouble as they seem to have. I have been taking photos now for a great many years and now am often about with my camera.
I have never ever encounted any adverse reaction by any one and that includes mums with kids, I do always think twice now if there are children about, "and I ask" or tell people what I am about. Often I get the "Oh' if little jimmy is in the shot can you send me one, here is my "e" mail address". And I always do!.
Perhaps I have just been lucky.

The government's fear and paranoia propaganda is succeeding beyond it's wildest dreams. How long will it be before they announce that the public is deeply concerned by this threat to their safety and security (there are paedophiles and terrorists lurking around every corner), and is "demanding" action. Reluctantly, and as a temporary measure of course, cameras will have to be licensed and the owner will require a permit to carry/use them in public. Absurd? I don't know, but I'm afraid it may not be. After all, why would anyone object, unless they're got something to hide?

As for the police .....I'm afraid it's now part of their training. They get shown a video called "Oper***on Fairway" where every photographer is treated as a terrorist. I've seen it and it was frustrating to watch.

Operation Fairway
One of the key intelligence-gathering operations for the United Kingdom is Operation Fairway and is co-ordinated by detectives based within the Counter Terrorism Command at New Scotland Yard in London. The operation's remit is to detect, deter or disrupt terrorist activity and has particular responsibility for two operations: Lightning and Camion.

Operation Lightning – aims to identify terrorists carrying out suspicious or hostile reconnaissance at, or near, prominent or potentially vulnerable structures or buildings, including the highways infrastructure. Surveillance can include taking photographs and making notes about security measures such as the location of CCTV cameras.

Operation Camion – designed to collate information on potential acts of terrorism involving vehicle explosives. Focuses on the theft of vehicles that carry potentially hazardous loads, and also of liveried emergency vehicles or identifiable military vehicles which would not normally attract suspicion and be given access to sensitive or vulnerable premises because of their appearance.

To help raise awareness about operations Fairway, Lightning and Camion, detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command have given a series of briefings to staff in the East and South East region as part of an initial pilot scheme, more information about the pilot scheme to Traffic Officers can be found in the September issue of the TIM Magazine.

Trappe - what does this video discuss about photographers ? Interested to know

david700

Ok - I'm going to jinx this now but...

I constantly carry a DSLR (Often with grip/flash/big lens) and I've had only one problem so far & in this case the police were technically right.

When I travel the country I often spend time in cities taking candids, or asking the public to pose for me - they usually do with just a modicum of explanation:

'Excuse me being cheeky, but I've got a great idea for a cool shot - would you mind shifting that handbag and smiling at the camera? Here's my card for my website - drop me an email and I'll send you the pic'.

Here's a pic using exactly that method:
http://www.philhackettphotography.com/img/v4/p122982245-5.jpg

Often when I'm carrying around a camera in town people will say 'Oooh - take a picture of me! Alright I always reply and I get some interesting impromptu portraits.'

I suspect, though, I might be helped by being tall, obvious and stomping around purposefully - I think that helps dispel any hint of being furtive.

As for the time I was stopped - it was silly but the police were technically correct. I was in an area that was public - a partially covered shopping area in London. They said 'Oooh don't do that - terrorism. Clearly if I was a terrorist then rather than go for a subtle point & shoot I'd lug 2.5Kg of DSLR about! Anyhow I checked and they were right as it is technically private property.'

Now I've said the above I can see me getting abused on the very next outing!

Phil

Hi all,
Reading these posts really upset me, it’s such a shame that the world is turning to this state, paranoia and thoughts of disgust everywhere you go, not just when you have a camera with you, even when I take my 8 year old boy to school, he gives me a kiss on the cheek and I give him a hug before he goes in, I feel like I’m being stared at by all the mum’s, it’s like if your not a mum dropping your kids of then you must be something else !

But you can see these people who get on there high horses about parents who take photo’s of there own kids in a park, ranting and raving and then going to a studio to have there kid portraits done by someone they don’t know, but that’s fine…

As a budding armature tog, I will never let these sorts of sicko’s put me off the hobby I love!!

Bring on the revolution! ;)

Del - I agree - it is humiliation and no one should have to put up with being treated, as some people are.

Swanseamale47 - It is the duty of the police to respond, as soon as possible, to any person who suffers from an offence under the Public Order Act.
Whilst their are good and bad in every job, I would encourage, as is your democratic right, that under any circumstances I indicated in my previous post, that you contact the police,as soon as is possible.

No one should have to go about their daily life and be subjected to unwarranted abuse of any form and the law recognises that, which is what the Public Order Act is for.

Regards

david700
David I don't know what the police are like in your area, but where I live it takes them ages to respond to a serious car accident, the ambulances are there long before the police pretty much every time. On the occasions I have called them (sometimes for fairly serious things) the response varies from about 40 minutes to several days (seriously) I hold little hope of a quick response just because someone called me a pervert.
Your right in saying it's their jobs to protect us togs from abuse, but the fact is they are very thin on the ground and to them it's minor unimportant stuff, and goes to the bottom of the list. The chances are your average abusive person will be tucked up in bed by the time they turn up. Wayne

It is the duty of the police to respond, as soon as possible, to any person who suffers from an offence under the Public Order Act.

And it's worth remembering that police officers (and politicians and council representatives, etc.) are our servants, not our masters.

Steve.

Wayne - sounds like the 'Thin Blue Line' is somewhat thinner where you live.
Whilst appreciating that the police deal with all sorts of cr*p nowadays, It frustrates me that as a photographer, albeit an amateur/hobbyist - call it what you like, that people are inferring that the interest I follow and the people who share my hobby,are being viewed as some sort of subversives.
Now I can understand it if you live in, say North Korea or similar dictatorships, but we are mean't to live in the democratic west in the 21st century. Gordon Brown,Tony Blair,'Billy Bob Bush' and even Obama keep telling us we live in the 'free world' !!!!!!

I want to shout,when I carry my camera, IM NOT A TERRORIST, IM NOT A PAEDOPHILE, IM A PHOTOGRAPHER.

Be interested to see what the All Party Parliamentary Photographic Club would have to say on this matter.

Here endeth the rant !!!!

david700

Steve - quite right - they are public servants and also police by consent of the populace ie:all of us .

david 700

At least most of you guys are white British. Try being an asian in Britain carrying a camera. You'd think you had "Terrorist" painted on your forehead, the way people look at you!

Not really mate... I am black american, although I am 6'4" quite well built and covered in tatoos, so most people leave me alone :D

i dont see how people can complain about a photographer taking pictures in a busy street etc.

If it was a TV camera, they would most likely run up to it and act a fool, but not a camera!

The only time we have been called anything was when my camera was on our balcony on a tripod pointing at the moon..........a weirdo came out from some other flats shouting his mouth off with a mate, we just ignored them.............chavs.

The moon pic was pants anyway:LOL:

Just to be pedantic, you can't be arrested for that, just cautioned.

Steve.

You can be arrested for Breach of the Peace. A police officer can arrest if a breach of the peace is occuring or to prevent a breach of the peace that is likely to occur. To be cautioned, you have to be arrested first.

Changing the subject slightly, I lived in Germany for a number of years until recently where the thought of someone being a paedophile simply for taking pictures is totally alien. People regulary take pictures in places where children are including swimming pools and no one takes any notice. I was recently at the Frankfurt Motorshow and I had my 2 year old son on reins. (Germans don't have reins and are very amused when they see this, likening it to having a child on a lead like a dog). Two guys thought this was really amusing and my wife told me they took a photo of me and my son. Can you imagine what would have happened if they had done that here :shake:

Rule 303 for the lot of 'em.

Works for me!

fondue_breakermorant_wideweb__470x303,0.jpg

and the real feller...

breaker_morant.jpg

My weirdest so far went something like this...

What ARE you doing???

Taking your photo

WHAT !!!

Well you are good looking and have a natural ability to strike poses which are appealing to me

W T F are you on about !!!???!!!

Look, it's simple, you are a cool looking female, the lighting is excellent, the background is un-obstructive and everything has fallen into place for some cool shots

Get out of here you Pervert!!!

Soz babe - but as you are 18 I'm totally at liberty to take photos of you whether they depict you in a sexual light or not, as it happens you are fully clothed so what's your problem?

My problem is that you're a Pervert wanting to take photos of me - you f-ing wierdo

I see what you're saying - but honestly, you're a pretty girl and deserving of a good set of photos

F-k you m8 - I'm outa here!!!

Okay - that's up to you - but you did pay for this studio shoot, do you want a refund???

:D

DD

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:woot:

Not really mate... I am black american, although I am 6'4" quite well built and covered in tatoos, so most people leave me alone :D

Im coming with you on the next photo shoot in that case !!!!! :LOL:

Cheers

david700

Im coming with you on the next photo shoot in that case !!!!! :LOL:

Cheers

david700

hehe :)

Seriously though, the only time I have ever even noticed anything is the wierd looks a couple gave me whilst walking their dog through the woods, and I was laying down trying to get an interesting angle on an old rotted felled tree.... thats about it really :p

I have had no problems myself whilst roaming the streets and footpaths in my camo gear, but then again we are all weirdos down here :LOL::LOL: On a serious issue though and I dont know if this has been done, what about contacting GMTV and get them to do a story on this :shrug: " Photographers fight back "
Lets tell em that it is those making the accusations that are the sad and weird people of this world :LOL:

hehe :)

Seriously though, the only time I have ever even noticed anything is the wierd looks a couple gave me whilst walking their dog through the woods, and I was laying down trying to get an interesting angle on an old rotted felled tree.... thats about it really :p

Been there !!! I spent about 15 mins taking pics of a bee on a flower in a local park - passers by looked at me like they should be calling for the men in white coats with straight jackets !!:bonk:(y)

david700

Just to be pedantic, you can't be arrested for that, just cautioned.

Steve.

OK. I haven't been back in the UK for very long, but I think it's an arrestable offence in Scotland, where I live. Someone else mentioned the Public Order Act, which seems to cover these situations too, and a caution might be sufficient to show Ms Mouthy the error of her ways.

I don't, entirely, blame people who start throwing unwarranted accusations around, and insist that you're not allowed to take photographs of them, their kids or whatever. Most people don't know very much about the law, and a lot of police officers don't either, but the state has encouraged this sort of behaviour and I still believe it has an agenda.

The police have a duty to take action against lawbreakers, and I am suggesting that it's time photographers, and others, started filing complaints against people who unlawfully harass or abuse them. Misguided or not, people have to realise that actions have consequences, and that they cannot recklessly accuse someone of being a pervert or a paedophile without risk to themselves.

I was in Guildford High street taking pic, of the Guildhall, when this women started to shout at me, for taking pictures of her kids, right mental she was, when I told her that I had not, and would happly show her the Pics on my memory card, she would have none of it, of course people gather, to hear her ranting on, luckly two women police officers come on the scene, having explained the problem, and checked my memory card, they tried to reasure the lady.. but she was having none of it.. stormed off calling me a bent pervert.. much to the amusement to all alround

What is happening in this country.

I've had something similar. It annoyed me so I summoned up my best indignant voice and said "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" and shook my head. I then politely pointed out that she was slandering me in public, and if she continued I would prosecute to protect my good name.

I think I left her very confused :D

Here's what I do: (really this time, not comedy Luger-shots to the knees)

If you get hassled, take out a notebook and demand their name, address and home telephone number for the purposes of reporting them for harrassment or even for your own records - most people will baulk at providing details.

If they are or were serious about complaining about your behaviour then they'll have nothing to hide as those details would have to be filed as part of the police report anyway...

If they refuse to provide you with details, then tell 'em to fark orf and mind their own damn business...

Back