I just bought a Leica!

Which one??

I bought my M3 when drunk! Congratulations!

Who needs a lens. :D

I'm considering a Q2. But I might need more than one drink before I buy one

You'll need to make yourself available for the swearing in ceremony, I'll be back in touch with the date.

Meanwhile get acquainted :D (contains swearing)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqaGFVJPJRg
The funniest part of the whole thing was "Leica people I know are very normal people"....
If you need to say that and especially very normal part (as supposed to the rest of us who are just normal).... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was saving for the 100-400mm Olympus lens :eek:

My GP says I need to drink less but I let that go in one ear and out of the other. My Bank Manager just texted me the same advice, this could be serious :sneaky:

I have 30 days to make my mind up.

I was saving for the 100-400mm Olympus lens :eek:

My GP says I need to drink less but I let that go in one ear and out of the other. My Bank Manager just texted me the same advice, this could be serious :sneaky:

I have 30 days to make my mind up.

Honestly and please don't be offended but I'd send it back.

It's just my VHO and many will doubtless disagree but if I wanted a Leica I'd get a film one, RF, and just one lens, probably a 35mm. I've sort of been down that route with a Bessa R and 35mm f2.5 and it was a lovely thing but I've moved on. In some strange parallel universe where I simply had to have a digital Leica it'd still be a RF with just the one lens but even then I'd suspect I should have bought something else.

Again. Hope there's no offence but I'd send the £1,575 APS-C camera back and not invest in a lens for it.

But, you do as you like :D and if you do keep it I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it and some good pictures too :D

Honestly and please don't be offended but I'd send it back.

It's just my VHO and many will doubtless disagree but if I wanted a Leica I'd get a film one, RF, and just one lens, probably a 35mm. I've sort of been down that route with a Bessa R and 35mm f2.5 and it was a lovely thing but I've moved on. In some strange parallel universe where I simply had to have a digital Leica it'd still be a RF with just the one lens but even then I'd suspect I should have bought something else.

Again. Hope there's no offence but I'd send the £1,575 APS-C camera back and not invest in a lens for it.

But, you do as you like :D and if you do keep it I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it and some good pictures too :D

Alan, I never take offence at your advice. You are totally right of course, if money was not a thing to think about I would have a shelf full of Leica's and Olympus cameras and some 4x5 and who knows what else. I lost sight of my goal to own the 100-400 which I know will give me great pleasure when I get back to watching the motorbike racing live.

I truly would love to have a compact Leica in my arsenal with a nice Summicrom 35mm but now is not the time,

Given the deal I got I may see if I can move it for a profit on ebay for a profit otherwise return it.

Windows should invent a login pad that tests your alcohol level and then only let you view sites you can't buy things from :D :D

Alan, I never take offence at your advice. You are totally right of course, if money was not a thing to think about I would have a shelf full of Leica's and Olympus cameras and some 4x5 and who knows what else. I lost sight of my goal to own the 100-400 which I know will give me great pleasure when I get back to watching the motorbike racing live.

I truly would love to have a compact Leica in my arsenal with a nice Summicrom 35mm but now is not the time,

Given the deal I got I may see if I can move it for a profit on ebay for a profit otherwise return it.

Windows should invent a login pad that tests your alcohol level and then only let you view sites you can't buy things from :D :D

I have a Panasonic 100-400mm and it does seem to be a nice lens but it's a bit too much of a lump for me to carry about on the sort of aimless walks I take. I bought it for a couple of specific pictures I'd wanted to take for a long time but whilst walking in the park the other day with my 45-150mm I spotted some dragon flies and 150mm wasn't nearly enough and the pictures needed a crop in the region of 50%.

I don't know what you have in mind for a 100-400mm but I do think it's a lens that can be put to quite a few uses.

Good luck if you do get one.

I have a Panasonic 100-400mm and it does seem to be a nice lens but it's a bit too much of a lump for me to carry about on the sort of aimless walks I take.
The Panasonic 100~400mm is really quite compact in comparison to lenses of the same physical focal length range, designed for formats larger than M43.

Mine lives in a bag with a pair of GM5s fitted with the 12~32mm and the 45~150mm. When I really want to get close to a subject but can't get close, the big Panasonic lens is just about the best tool I've found for the job. As a carry around outfit it works pretty well for me and the weight is tolerable.

Cameras Panasonic G9 and GM5 A65 DSC03472.JPG

I have a Panasonic 100-400mm and it does seem to be a nice lens but it's a bit too much of a lump for me to carry about on the sort of aimless walks I take. I bought it for a couple of specific pictures I'd wanted to take for a long time but whilst walking in the park the other day with my 45-150mm I spotted some dragon flies and 150mm wasn't nearly enough and the pictures needed a crop in the region of 50%.

I don't know what you have in mind for a 100-400mm but I do think it's a lens that can be put to quite a few uses.

Good luck if you do get one.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Alan.

I do enjoy motorsports and like having a long lens for that (I used to use the 50-200SWD on my 4/3 outfit). Also local park wildlife as well.

I generally use my 12-40mm for aimless walks, along with a choice of vintage lens.

Good thing I don't get drunk these days.

It's a wise decision. I'm working on reducing the alcohol intake.

It's only the second time I have 'drunk bought' in the last five years or so. I think ;) Last time was an Olympus Pen for the wife but she didn't want a camera. I should have known given she had told me on a number of occasions "I don't want a camera". :D

The CL is an excellent little camera. The lenses are top notch and, with an M adapter, you can put any M lens on there. I downsized to a CL with 18-56 and 55-135 for my landscaping work and am very happy. And I also have a 90mm Leica M lens which gives a 135mm full frame equivalent and is boketastic.

The CL is an excellent little camera. The lenses are top notch and, with an M adapter, you can put any M lens on there. I downsized to a CL with 18-56 and 55-135 for my landscaping work and am very happy. And I also have a 90mm Leica M lens which gives a 135mm full frame equivalent and is boketastic.

I have to say it is apparent I make good choices when I am drunk. Olympus Pen F; Leica CL; the wife of 21 years ;)

Last edited:
I had a CL +18-55, great combo, only problem for ME....no IS....inside or out :(

BTW, I have an excellent lightly used half case going spare, should you be interested......

Thanks Dave. I have decided to return it as this is an impulse buy I should not have made. The longer it sits here in the box the more chance I'll cave and keep it. It is gorgeous.

Thanks Dave. I have decided to return it as this is an impulse buy I should not have made. The longer it sits here in the box the more chance I'll cave and keep it. It is gorgeous.

I'm sure it is gorgeous but if you wanted to spend an equal amount on other kit you could perhaps get kit as capable or even more so and within a larger system offering more choices. Having said that I'm as much for heart as head but maybe heart purchases do need a little thought too sometimes :D

Back