I need a good kick in.....

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
So, my OM-D E-M5 arrived yesterday and I've not even opened the box.

Currently have a GX1, have also owned many DSLRs and M43 bodies over the years. Thought I needed to upgrade but not even sure I can be bothered anymore!

There is a continual debate in my head about DSLR vs M43 (as I'm sure there is in a lot of peoples)
There is also a debate about whether the GX1 does everything I need and is a perfect small package with my prime lenses
There is another debate about going all out and buying an E-M1 and 12-40
But that starts questions about spending a large sum and can spend the same money on a DSLR instead
Struggling with whether I even enjoy taking photos anymore and can an iPhone suffice
Then I come back to the E-M5 being the best all-rounder M43 (having owned 2 previously)
Then a GM1 jumps into my head as it would be even smaller than the GX1
And when I'm not looking a Sony RX100M3 pops up (I had a M1 before)

In amongst all of that I haven't taken many pictures recently and the ones I have taken were with my 5D2 borrowed from work!

Argh. Might return to amazon and think a bit longer !

Last edited:
Pmsl, I think you have just spoken for about 75% of us.

I'm pretty sure I enjoy looking at a camera on my desk more so than using one... @XFile2708 and @damianmkv are just the same. :D

He might be speaking for 75% of the regular contributors to the equipment threads, but my guess is he's speaking for about 2% of photographers. These are not photographic problems, with the greatest of respect they're the ramblings of a guy who wants all the shiniest toys but doesn't really have an interest in playing with them (by his own admission).

The 98% of us are taking pictures.:snaphappy:

Get a bridge camera. Does everything. One lens. No faff. Size of a DSLR so it looks manly enough to walk around with too ;)

Alan. As you we'll know I have been in the same boat as you for as long as I can remember. We have a psychological problem with buying gear, some call it GAS but I think it's more serious than that. Once a new camera has be bought then I'm already thinking of the next purchase. I think for me it's the 'thrill of the purchase' and not buying something for the job needed. I do also strive for perfection in IQ which does not help as I wonder if this camera or that camera will be better.

I have been trying pretty hard to stop this. I decided to just go M43 and it was fine for about 2 weeks but after watching some brilliant tutorials on post processing I decided that I needed a bigger sensor. So I bought a Canon 60D and a couple lenses. So now I have the DSLR and a panasonic GF1 (still brilliant!) GX1 and the stunning E-M5.

The M43 gear has it's place as I am happy with how it performs within what I do. The DSLR is kinda 'on test' to see if I need APS-C and will come to a decision after my holiday. This is really just for landscape / scenic photography. The prob is that I may 'need' full frame for this so will have to test the E-M5 against the 60d to see how much I can edit the files in Lightroom.

I know in my head that it's what you take that's important and I do try and forget about the equipment. It's hard but I'm getting there.

I think your right Andy, its the thrill of the purchase, and striving for the perfect camera for your photographic needs ! It also it gives you a chance to see for yourself "is this new camera as good as the reviews say it is", or "is this better than my current camera" etc... I've done it recently myself, I've got a 5D, so have full frame covered and use it mostly for studio work, I also have an X10, which is has great IQ, handling etc.., but just doesn't have the depth of field I wanted in a compact, smaller camera, so I went for a Fuji X-A1. That's a superb camera, and ticks almost every box except AF speed, which if was faster would be perfect. I did try a GF2 before the X-A1, but I couldn't get on with the m43 format, and the noise performance at high ISO wasn't great :-(. So hence the Fuji, now recently I bought a Canon EOS M, which can take advantage of the canon glass I have, as well as be a compact mirrorless system for days out with the family etc.. but IQ isn't quite as good as the X-A1, and leaves me wanting more !! And the AF speed is faster than the fuji, but not by much. The hunt goes on !!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I enjoy looking at a camera on my desk more so than using one... @XFile2708 and @damianmkv are just the same. :D

I enjoy looking but I enjoy the results of what I've taken more. I'm only holding off going MFT because I don't think they'd be anywhere near as good as I'd want in terms of AF speed for Motorsport. As soon as the manufacturers get that sorted, I'm up for a change.

I many ways i love photographers who have GAS,it bring onto the market a lot of s/h gear that i couldn't otherwise afford to buy,plus it also keep the price down of new gear the more they sell the less the manufacturing costs.

Please keep buying :D

So, my OM-D E-M5 arrived yesterday and I've not even opened the box.

I've watched you chop and change over the years and I hope I'm not quite as bad :D Whatever, I don't see any real harm in it if you can afford it but if it's getting to you then I suppose you should settle on something.

I doubt I'll ever go back to DSLR's and I see no significant difference between MFT and APS-C and as I see those as the sweet spot for hand held shooting I think I'll probably always have one or the other and at the moment it is MFT but I don't like the FBW no marking no feel lenses so I also own a Sony A7 and some real lenses :D so I think I'm sorted :D I have MFT for when I want the smallest kit (G1 and GX7+20 or 45mm with 14-42 and 50-200mm there if I want them) and A7 for when I want the best quality I can get from FF and an old lens.

For me a big leap was realising that as long as my pictures aren't going to be printed 6 feet wide and viewed from one inch away on a gallery wall the humble Panasonic G1 was good enough at all but the highest ISO's and from then on the only real issues for me were EVF quality and light output in very low light, the highest ISO settings and FBW lenses. My GX7 and A7 fix these things between them and I don't think I'll be buying a camera body for a while.

I have been trying pretty hard to stop this. I decided to just go M43 and it was fine for about 2 weeks but after watching some brilliant tutorials on post processing I decided that I needed a bigger sensor. So I bought a Canon 60D and a couple lenses. So now I have the DSLR and a Panasonic GF1 (still brilliant!) GX1 and the stunning E-M5.

After a lot of comparison between my G1 and 20D I decided that there's no significant difference between MFT and APS-C and no need for me to consider sensor size when choosing a camera with either sensor. Newer MFT and APS-C sensors will perform better than my creaking old kit but looking at the reviews there still doesn't seem to be a whole lot in it and the much talked about DoF issues are non issues as far as I'm concerned.

One thing that would sway me towards MFT rather than an APS-C DSLR is lens choice and quality at the widest apertures as if you're looking at Canon or Nikon the APS-C lens choice is thin and arguably MFT lenses are often better wide open than similar APS-C or FF DSLR lenses.

Damn - only one of you gave me a virtual kick in so far (y)

I thoroughly enjoy the research phase, but the buying, bought, not actually what I wanted, disappointed phase afterwards is the stark reality that if I just got on and relaxed about it all, went outside and took some pictures it wouldn't actually matter what camera I had - in fact there is nothing wrong with the GX1 I have already for the sort of photos I like to take - 'like' being the word that is used loosely, as I'm sure deep down I do enjoy and like taking photos - it's just there is a whole load of white noise which is stopping me enjoying the actual process of taking the photograph.

I'm lucky to have disposable income and just happen to have latched onto photographic kit as an outlet for it. I don't smoke or drink or have kids so I gotta have some vices, but clearly buying loads of cameras is not the best one to have :)

I'm going to pop over to amazon in a mo and complete the returns request and make a concerted effort to fully utilise the current gear.

When I have proven to make good use of it, and found its limitations, I may allow myself to buy a new bit of photo gear.

Last edited:
if you're a good photographer then you should feel free to buy whatever you want,but if like me
your skills are wanting then you should concentrate on becoming a better photographer.
i went through a mad period buying and selling then said STOP>ENOUGH.
learn to use what I've got i said to myself,then when I'm recognised as a top British Photographer I might,might
treat myself to a new lens:).
Have fun

in most things I have done I have always purchased, self reviewed and sold if not for me, at one point I had 17 guitars; I have been through every camera system at least twice, phone after phone after phone, stacks and stacks of hifi separates. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I enjoy it; have I lost money? no doubt but probably not as much as people might think but that isn't the point, its enjoyable and for me the best way to find out what I like best.

Nice one David.ive never had that many guitars at the same time but if i were to calculate how many I've owned around 130 i guess:)

To me the photograph always come first i love being out their with my camera,but i would be lying if i said i didn't like my gears and trying out different cameras :)

in most things I have done I have always purchased, self reviewed and sold if not for me, at one point I had 17 guitars; I have been through every camera system at least twice, phone after phone after phone, stacks and stacks of hifi separates. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I enjoy it; have I lost money? no doubt but probably not as much as people might think but that isn't the point, its enjoyable and for me the best way to find out what I like best.

One of your old guitars still resides with me @strumstrum

I'm the same with gear always thinking what's next, even before a new item is delivered!

Each to their own. If its not getting you in financial trouble or hurting anyone then is there a problem?
I stumbled on a blog site by a photographer called Olivier Duong the other day, he describes himself as an 'ex gear addict' and wrote a bit about his experiences.
Interesting read for some maybe, if nothing else itll distract you from buying any more gear for 30mins!
http://www.f-stopeight.com/the-self...-addict-how-i-started-breaking-free-from-gas/

Oliver Duong is a great guy. He produces a fantastic on line magazine with a few others caller Inspired Eye. http://www.theinspiredeye.net

It' mainly for street photography but it's a good read and the images are great.

would you like me to look after it ( and a lens ) until you decide ? I'll only take a few shots - it would help me too

Thanking you kindly

Yes it is nice to have/use nice gear, but as long as YOU get enjoyment from using them or just looking at them I can't see a problem.
I used to have a motorbike and got as much enjoyment out of looking at it as well as riding it.
JohnyT

I used to have a motorbike too (quite a few over the years!), and enjoyed taking it to bits, cleaning it, then rebuilding it as much as riding it!!
Luckily i don't have the same thing with my camera's! :LOL:

Guilty as charged when it comes to chopping and changing. I've liked some aspect of every camera I've owned, but in the end there was always one niggling and relevant fault to my needs. In the end, I figured I should accept the fault that was least troublesome. For me, that was the 'weight and size' argument. So, I ponied up for a full frame 6D and 35/2. It's perfect, except for the size and weight... but I can live with that now as I realise I value ultimate image quality, shallower DoF and high ISO noise more. No more equivalency calculations, no more 'what if's', and for now, no more GAS.

Do you know, the only time I was really happy with my gear was when all I had was my Lumix TZ6. It had no manual control so I upgraded to a Canon 40D and some glass and I have been chasing 'perfection' ever since.

Perhaps I should just get a decent compact and leave it at that? I do admit I get a kick out of using either my GF1 or GX1 with just the 20mm f1.7.

Perhaps less is more!

Do you know, the only time I was really happy with my gear was when all I had was my Lumix TZ6. It had no manual control so I upgraded to a Canon 40D and some glass and I have been chasing 'perfection' ever since.

Perhaps I should just get a decent compact and leave it at that? I do admit I get a kick out of using either my GF1 or GX1 with just the 20mm f1.7.

Perhaps less is more!

I've wanted two things since going digital, a digital SLR but not the bloated monsters DSLR's have become and a more compact digital camera to replace the non SLR film cameras I had. The A7 fills the former role and GX7 + 20mm f1.7 the latter and so far I've only removed the 20mm to test out the 45mm :D so the 20mm has been on the camera for every real world shot.

OP, it sounds like planning the next photo shoot should finally take a clear priority

Get a bridge camera. Does everything. One lens. No faff. Size of a DSLR so it looks manly enough to walk around with too ;)

From about 200m I might get confused for a fraction of second on an odd occasion. If it quacks like a duck it must be a duck.

I am very interested in the A7 as it is a small full frame camera with stunning IQ but would have to totally give up on M43 which I have had for about 5 years. If there were a better lens selection then I would probably get one but at the moment there is nothing in the lineup that I want. If the 35mm was f1.4 then I would be interested but it's f2.8 which is not what I want in a ff lens. So for now it' m43 for me. :)

I have an A7 and still own two MFT cameras but although that number may drop to one at some point I can't see myself giving up MFT as I think that FF and MFT (or APS-C) compliment each other quite well.

Guilty as charged when it comes to chopping and changing. I've liked some aspect of every camera I've owned, but in the end there was always one niggling and relevant fault to my needs. In the end, I figured I should accept the fault that was least troublesome. For me, that was the 'weight and size' argument. So, I ponied up for a full frame 6D and 35/2. It's perfect, except for the size and weight... but I can live with that now as I realise I value ultimate image quality, shallower DoF and high ISO noise more. No more equivalency calculations, no more 'what if's', and for now, no more GAS.

Interestingly the 6D (and 5D before it) are the only two cameras which I've fallen in love with. I still think the 6D is just about perfection (for me) other than it's bulky size and weight (though still small and light compared to other full frame DSLRs).

I really like the m43 concept although I prefer the output from the Fuji cameras, so am likely to swap my Olympus gear out shortly to fund another lens or two for the x-e1. I *might* then finally have a small system that I'm happy with to complement the Canon. Although evfs still suck :D

I did have a 6D myself and found the IQ to be as good as I have ever seen. I also love how well I can edit the files in PP which is where I spends a lot of time. I already have a couple Canon EF lenses so getting a 6D rather than an A7 would be the answer. Hmmmm perhaps a 6D and a simple M43 camera will do the trick.

One good thing about owning so many cameras over time is the fact you can look back and see which we're best.

One other thing is that I have big hands so do find most small cameras uncomfortable to hold and fiddely to use. Perhaps I'm destined to use dslr's till the end of time :D

Last edited:
Ok, so the EM-5 has gone back - got to love Amazon. Filled out the returns online, stuck the barcode to the box, 5 mins later I was handing it in at the local collect+, 30 mins later I had an email saying my refund was processed and has been applied back onto the card less £3.99 return P&P.

So it cost me 4 quid to have their unopened camera sitting in my lounge for 3 days !

Back