I need help with my flies!

Edit My Images
Yes
So, I got a Tamron 90 and have been attempting to click the passion and fascination for bugs and colour that I have in my head... HOWEVER, I don't seem able to get pin sharp shots or the lovely compound eye look!

I have to take shots using a tripod, as my hands are crook, and haven't used the onboard flash yet, tho my rig is a work in progress :D

So, please, any advice and thoughts. C&C of individual shots not required as I'm putting quite a few up and don't expect anyone to comment on each - but any thoughts of how to improve generally would be greatly appreciated - I know I have a lot to learn with shooting and processing :cool:

Whiskers on... by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

2a by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

fly fly fly by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

4a by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

5a by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

6a by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Naomi, your angle and composition is pretty good. I can't see your exif so can only guess you are not using flash with means you must be using the lens aperture quite open. you need to be using somewhere around f11 to give you a little more dof and a shutter around 1/200 with iso 100-200 for the detail. Flash will give you the ability to use these settings and give the eyes a bit more definition too. Also look closely at the focal plane and try and lay it on the subject to give you the most in focus. Keep at it as you are almost there. ;)
If you are using flash just dial in the settings above in manual mode. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alby

Thank you for looking and advice.

hmmmmm... where has my exif info gone? It's available on all my other photos shot with other lenses? :shrug: Guess I'll have to ask that question on another thread. Weird.

Yep, what you've said makes sense re the aperture.

Was shooting on macro scene mode most of the time which was taking the iso's down to 800 :puke: in daylight (hence graininess)

Changed over to AP and had to keep the aperture wide open (at f2.8-4.5) or else it was trying to shoot at 1/4 second or longer, and tried to hand hold but couldn't and unable to move the tripod fast enough to follow the bugs around <heh, it would be comical to watch methinks>. Will get my milk carton (aka AshMash rig) on the front to diffuse and try again when I can. The problem with the onboard flash is that it overheats the camera (when you take 50-200 shots a time) and then the flies have flown. :bonk:

My camera often tells me it's too hot... and shuts itself off for a while. Getting used to the tamron is strange too - the push pull switch feels uncomfortable to use on the body and shooting MF is tricky when you're hanging out over a bush whilst trying to avoid webs. All good fun tho - love MACRO!!!!!!!

Many thanks Alby!

Now to figure out what happened to the exif on all those shots :thinking:

Nice shots Naomi- the advice given is spot on

I shoot F11 @ 1/125th sec using my off camera flash- seems to work ok - or you could try difussing using tissue paper

Les

Ps- perhaps we should arrange a Macro Meet with the Sth Westers / Dartmoor Zoo mob:shrug:

Les :D

PPs should have bought a sigma 105 with smile detection lol

perhaps we should arrange a Macro Meet with the Sth Westers / Dartmoor Zoo mob:shrug:

Les :D

PPs should have bought a sigma 105 with smile detection lol

Hi Darlin' - was hoping you would pop by and let me know what you thought :)

Would love to meet up again - am pretty crook right now and not walking too well (you can imagine me with a tripod and camera a? leave alone the milk bottle on top)! :D I have a bunch of new stuff (including a 10stop) to use and can't get out. Just had a steroid injection an hour ago <yowzer> :puke: so hoping that will kick in and I'll be moving soon. Will give you a shout and get the gang together as soon as I can. Hope all is good with you.

heh - you can still detect my smile ;) now, do you reckon the smile detector works on bugs!

you put your left leg in... by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

;)

Last edited:
Never seen a bug smile- Buit if it would smile for anyone it would be you :p

Hope youre up and about soon and YES we WILL arrange a South West Bug shoot- wheres Gemma when you need her :LOL:

Les ;)

Ps and yes thank you all is good with me- just bought a new apartment in Taunton, Moving Thursday - I hate moving by the way

I concur - I struggled like hell when I first used the Tamron to get anything I was happy with, put the flash on and all thoughts of throwing it across the car park vanished.

Through glass as well as hand held
Butterfly-Farm-Stratford-18-06-L.jpg

Butterfly-Farm-Stratford-18-06-L.jpg

Tropical-Wings-01-05-11-069-L.jpg

Tropical-Wings-01-05-11-074-L.jpg

Heybridge-Basin-Maldon-30-04-L.jpg

Just keep at it and it WILL come together, I found around f/8 with flash gave the most pleasing results so may be worth a try.

.DAVID.

Ps and yes thank you all is good with me- just bought a new apartment in Taunton, Moving Thursday - I hate moving by the way

Oh gooood luck with the move - nah, you gotta think positively - IT'S EXCITING <repeat after me> "IT'S EXCITING MOVING, I'M SOOOOOOO EXCITED lalalaalalllala" ;) Ha - you're gonna be a townie! Oh my!

Hope to see you again soon :)

Just keep at it and it WILL come together, I found around f/8 with flash gave the most pleasing results so may be worth a try.

.DAVID.

Thanku David - yep, will try again when I can pick up the camera. Love your 2 & 3 there - ha, that bug in 2 looks such a hoot - he needs to be a character in a kiddies book :D Number 4 is like velvet with the most beautiful big brown eyes. Really lovely :)

Last edited:
Back