I thought i had decided but.......

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

After the replies to my other post i thought i had decided the kit i was going to buy....

Canon 5d MkII and Canon 24-70mm f2.8 non IS lens.

I went onto the internet this morning about to buy and sat and thought about what it would be like once i owned it and started to wonder.

This kit would cost me £3000 roughly.

For £1500 roughly half of the above cost i could get a Canon 50d with the 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens.

I dont think it would be half as good as the 5d , do you? or am i missing something?

Have you spent time handling either of these? I would not make a decision to spend £1500 or £3000 unless I was absolutely sure that I was happy with my purchase. Yes on paper you may have decided that each camera does what you want. You may find that you would actually prefer the menus and size of something else.

For me, the 5d MkII and 50d are used for very different purposes. Do you know what you want to photograph?

I don't want to put a downer on your purchase, but for me it's important to get a sense of perspective. If I was going to spend £3k on a car and at the last minute began to wonder whether it's the right one for me, that would clearly suggest not.

On the other hand - It's your money ..............................

Hi,

After the replies to my other post i thought i had decided the kit i was going to buy....

Canon 5d MkII and Canon 24-70mm f2.8 non IS lens.

I went onto the internet this morning about to buy and sat and thought about what it would be like once i owned it and started to wonder.

This kit would cost me £3000 roughly.

For £1500 roughly half of the above cost i could get a Canon 50d with the 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens.

I dont think it would be half as good as the 5d , do you? or am i missing something?

what do you intend to use the camera for? if it's for low light photography(weddings in churches,gigs etc...)i would think the 5DII would be the best option as it handles the high ISO's much better.

i'm not the most experienced tog by any stretch of the imagination(stop sniggerin' in the back please),but i would assume you would be making a choice based on your intended use(s).

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to be using it for portraiture, wedding photography (a few years to come) and then a bit of nature (long telephoto work)

I have handled both and found them to be very very similar in feel , but the 5d felt alot heavier (which didnt bother me)

Amy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to be using it for portraiture, wedding photography (a few years to come) and then a bit of nature (long telephoto work)

I have handled both and found them to be very very similar in feel , but the 5d felt alot heavier (which didnt bother me)

Amy

mmmmmmmmmm......for the wedding and portraiture work,i'd say the 5DII every time,but for wildlife(birds etc) you would need some seriously long lens to get great results from a full frame camera,which costs the earth.if cash isn't a problem,then thats the one i would go for,but if cash is an issue,then the 50D would be pretty good at getting the results you'll be after,plus have the benefit of more reach from your telephoto lens.

Wellit would be portraiture more than anything so perhaps a full frame is the one to go for then.

With the 5dMkII would the 24-105 F4 be good for low light wedding and portraiture? (i know its not as low as f2.8 for the 24-70 but having such a shallow depth of field would be harmful in some instances anyway wouldnt it)?

Wellit would be portraiture more than anything so perhaps a full frame is the one to go for then.

With the 5dMkII would the 24-105 F4 be good for low light wedding and portraiture? (i know its not as low as f2.8 for the 24-70 but having such a shallow depth of field would be harmful in some instances anyway wouldnt it)?

if your serious about weddings,then i would say the F/2.8 aperture is a must have.the DOF is very dependant on the distance between the lens and subject,an you'll not be that close to have such a negative effect on your shots..lots of wedding togs shoot at F1.4 or even F1.2 as and when needed.don't forget though,you can always "stop down" if needed,to get the results you require ;)

Well im thinking of weddings in say the next 2-3yrs so its not a done deal by any means. It s just what i want to aspire to eventually as i think i would enjoy it.

I did hold a Nikon D700 aswell but the viewfinder didnt seem as big as the 5dMkII and seemed magnified if that makes sense?

I agree with Stan on this. If you get a F2.8 lens for low light, you don't always need to use it and can always use it at F4 or 5.6 if you want to. If you have a F4 or F5.6 you never have that choice for low light - Unless you want to learn flash photography as well I guess.

I agree with Stan on this. If you get a F2.8 lens for low light, you don't always need to use it and can always use it at F4 or 5.6 if you want to. If you have a F4 or F5.6 you never have that choice for low light - Unless you want to learn flash photography as well I guess.

How would using flash enable me to use f2.8 on a f4 lens?:shrug:

I notice you mentioned 'wildlife' further down the line, that being the case I would opt for the 5d MK II (I used to have a 5D MK I and it was fantastic) for the wedding/portraiture and then by the time you want to look at wildlife you will hopefully have saved up enough funds to invest in a 50d. Also, if looking at the second hand arena then the prices of the 50d may have dropped a little.

That way you have the best of both worlds if you can live with the compromise of sticking with portraiture and wedding shots initially.

Mark

it won't..but you will be able to get the shutter speeds you'll need with the smaller aperture that you may struggle to get without using a flash,or upping the ISO's really high,thus increasing lots of noise in your images...unless you get the wide aperture lens'.

i can't comment on the D700 as i've not used or held one.

It would allow you to shoot in low light with an F4 lens. You wouldn't be able to use F2.8, but at least you would be able to get shots you'd probably struggle to get without an additional light source.

Does that make sense?

So i would be able to use say iso 400 instead of iso 800/1600 as the light off the flash would mean more light in so less iso needed to get the light?

So i would be able to use say iso 400 instead of iso 800/1600 as the light off the flash would mean more light in so less iso needed to get the light?

(y)

As Stan said, you could also use a faster shutter speed with flash, which would help in eliminating camera shake.

Yeah , i understand all that.

ooh its a tough thing this photography is hehe

I use a 5D mk1 with 24-105 f4 lens for weddings and get superb results with iso 800 - 1000 during the ceremony (no flash). Usually getting 1/40th - 1/60th sec. With IS, this is fine for most shots. I really like the extra reach the 105mm gives for candids.

Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but.....

You want a body to do long lens nature stuff, portraiture and possible shots in poor lighting conditions. I think the 1DMkIII is going to be your best option. A good secondhand one and a 24-70 should come in well under your £3k proposed outlay.

Bob

Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but.....

You want a body to do long lens nature stuff, portraiture and possible shots in poor lighting conditions. I think the 1DMkIII is going to be your best option. A good secondhand one and a 24-70 should come in well under your £3k proposed outlay.

Bob

Hi,

The 1dMkIII isnt full frame is it? its a funny size between aps-c and ff am i right?

In your present position, I would go for the 50d now and invest our spare cash in good glass to cover the whole range. If your looking at weddings in a couple of years, that will give you time to save and the price of the 5d II's to come down in price. The 50d will then make an excellent back up camera which is definately required for weddings.

Hi,

The 1dMkIII isnt full frame is it? its a funny size between aps-c and ff am i right?

Yes, it's a 1.3x crop....half way between your desired portait body (5DII) and your long lens nature body (50D). It seemed a good compromise and handles poor lighting quite well.

Bob

In your present position, I would go for the 50d now and invest our spare cash in good glass to cover the whole range. If your looking at weddings in a couple of years, that will give you time to save and the price of the 5d II's to come down in price. The 50d will then make an excellent back up camera which is definately required for weddings.

Hi i was going to do that but then if im going for a crop body (50d) i couldnt buy the 24-70mm as that would be equivalent to 36-105mm which has no wide zoom then.

Yes, it's a 1.3x crop....half way between your desired portait body (5DII) and your long lens nature body (50D). It seemed a good compromise and handles poor lighting quite well.

Bob
I agree with this apart from handles poor light quite well, it handles poor light very well.:D

I had this same choice, I went for the 5Dmk2 and 24-70 Lens
Got them both for £2744 inc postage.

Im happy I did.

Hi,

Just had a full read of a review of the 24-105 IS vs the 24-70 non IS and there doesnt seem much in it apart from the f2.8 of the 24-70

Surely the IS of the 24-105 would let me shoot at lower iso than the 24-70 due to the IS which kind of kills the benefit of the 24-70 if you know what i mean?

The 1D MKIIn (2nd hand) or MKIII is a good alternative to the 5D MKII, best of both worlds with only a 1.3x crop factor and good ISO performance, has a better autofocus system than the 5D MkII, and a good 2nd hand one is about £1200/1400 for MKIIn or £2000 for MKIII.

Personally restricting your self to one lens is not a good idea, unless you already have other lenses

Portrait lens recommendations
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx

Wedding lens recommendations
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wedding-Lens.aspx

and for future reference, wildlife lens recommendation
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wildlife-Lens.aspx

Check prices
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Better get saving.

Hi,

Surely the IS of the 24-105 would let me shoot at lower iso than the 24-70 due to the IS which kind of kills the benefit of the 24-70 if you know what i mean?

IS will help compensate for you shaking but it won't help you if the subject's moving....the extra stop is pricelss then.

Bob

if you got someone to run accross the room, and you took a picture, with f2.8 and f4, adjusting the shutter speed to suit, there would be less movement shown in the f2.8 as you have a faster shutter speed.
IS can only stop the shake of the camera, not of moving things in the shot

I agree with one of the earlier posts, in that for where you are now, and what you want to do now, a 50D with 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens is the best starting point. The weddings thing, which is 2-3 years away, can wait for now but trying to work it into the equation is compromising everything, and not least it is likely to cost you an extra £1,500 which could be very well spent on a couple of very good extra lenses, big flash etc.

This will take your photography forward in big steps, now, and into new areas, whereas a 5D2 with only one lens is really quite limiting, even if it is perfect for weddings (at some time uncertain time in the future). Also, the 5D3 will be along before then.

If you do want to change to full frame eventually, a 50D with that lovely lens will sell on here in five minutes for good money. Note one of the advantages of crop format, with that lens. It has a perfect general purpose range, but is also f/2.8 and has IS. It's very sharp and a 50D will show it at its best :)

Hi,

I have decided what i am going to get..

The Canon 50d (£809), Sigma 12-24mm Wide lens(£599.95), Canon "L" 24-105mm F4 IS lens(£749.99), Canon 50mm F1.4(£289.00), Canon 580EXII flashgun(£329.50) making it a total £2777.44 which leaves me £222.56 for some memory cards and a half decent tripod.

At least that way i have a full range of lenses from 12 through to 105mm and can be saving for the L 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 over the next 2 years.

Also then i could transfer the 24-70, 70-200, 50mm f1.4 and 12-24 wide to the full frame and just keep the Canon 50d+24-105 F4 as a backup/holiday camera.

Sound the right thing to do?

Amy x

Sound good?

Amyx

I recently bought a 5d Mk2 but haven't had a lot of time to really test it. I've used it with 24-105 and 17-40, both "L" lenses and although IQ is great I'm not seeing a big difference from images shot with the same lenses on my 40D. Perhaps time will tell.
Some reviews I read on the 50D stated that to get the best out of the camera, use the best lenses available because the sensor will pick up any imperfections in cheaper lenses.

Hi,

The Canon 50d (£809), Sigma 12-24mm Wide lens(£599.95), Canon "L" 24-105mm F4 IS lens(£749.99), Canon 50mm F1.4(£289.00), Canon 580EXII flashgun(£329.50) making it a total £2777.44 which leaves me £222.56 for some memory cards and a half decent tripod.

At least that way i have a full range of lenses from 12 through to 105mm and can be saving for the L 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 over the next 2 years.

Also then i could transfer the 24-70, 70-200, 50mm f1.4 and 12-24 wide to the full frame and just keep the Canon 50d+24-105 F4 as a backup/holiday camera.

Amy x

Sound good?

Amyx

You may be able to get individual items cheaper from individual outlets. However, if you're going to buy the full kit from one shop ask, nay DEMAND, a better deal. That's a lot of cash to be splashing in one go!

One thing to be wary of, although it may not worry you, is that the 24-105 shows barrel distortion at the wide end, say from 24mm to about 30-ish. Apparently the 24-70 doesn't, but I haven't seen it myself.

Check out this link, it will give you some idea of what you could save if you shopped around, although it looks like you got the best prices individually

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html

but if you buying them all together see if you can get the a good deal on a carbon tripod + head and CF cards.

I have decided what i am going to get...

Amyx

In principle with the 50D, yes. Personally I would swap the 24-105 4 for a 17-55 2.8, to gain wider coverage and f/2.8 - 24mm isn't wide at all on crop format I would be forever changing lenses but that's a personal thing.

All lenses suffer from things like a bit of distortion, CA and vignetting from time to time, but if you buy Canon lenses you can run them through DPP (Canon's free Raw processor) and it automatically knows what lens you've used, at what f/number and focal length etc, and corrects it. Brilliant feature it is, too. Unique to Canon I think :)

Hi,

Amy x

Sound good?

Amyx

a very sensible option. much better than talk of 5dmk2/1dmk3 with one lens (y)

Good choice, Give Kerso a try, You will get everything MUCH cheaper and nearly everyone on here will vouch for him including myself (y)

Ive heard good things also but would worry about warranty as they are usa imports.

Has anybody bought off kerso and then had a problem and been able to get it fixed under warranty?

Amy

Back