I want a new lens

Name
Jackie
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have 2 lenses: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS and a EFS 18-55MM. My only complaint is that I constantly have to swop them around.

I am looking to buy a lens that that would enable me to take fairly close up photos (like the 18-55mm) but also at least the zoom of the (55-250mm)

Does anyone used a Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS or a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS (Stabilised)? Any ideas of which lens would be worth adding to my kit?
:help:

Personaly if your only compliant is swopping the lenses I think you would be wasting your money on ethier of those lenses. once you get in to the habit of changing your lenses you can do it with out even thinking about it.

Stuart

The main problem with a do it all lens is IQ suffers at the extremes. I had a Tamron 28-300 4.5-5.6 VC and it was great from about 50-250 but soft at both ends. I also had a Sigma 18-125 which did the same.
Anything over about 4-5 magnification seems to do this, although Canon do a 28-300 L lens which I would think should produce some good images, but I haven't tried it. The only drawback is the price , getting towards £2000.
I've stopped looking at superzooms and got the same 2 lenses as you have already and am happy with the IQ of both. Maybe changing lenses occasionally is the best way.

I thought that was the whole point of a DSLR was to get the best lens for the job on the front of the camera.

You have two very capable lens there to use and I think going the other way 18-200 you will never be truley happy.

If changing lens for you in a PITA then mabey a bridge camera would suit your needs better.

spike

I have the Canon 18-200mm IS and it is on my camera all the time unless I'm taking specific photo's. It was originally bought out as a kit lens with the 50D, but didn't get very good reviews. However I use it on a 40D 10mp camera and I'm really pleased with the results. There is a little softness at the extremes, but that is easily rectified in pp. Also a bit of distortion at 18mm, but again the canon DPP software recognises the lens and corrects it if neccessary. Of all the lenses I own this is the most used and I certainly wouldn't be without it. I'm not sure of the second hand prices, but they are about £370 new at Simply Electronics.

Thank you for all the feedback.
It is a greatly appreciated. :geek:

Back