Beginner I want to improve this image

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
I went down to clarence dock in Leeds last week to do some long exposure sunset photos after a wonder round and came up with this image.
I am still improving in terms of photo editing in camera raw etc but would like some advice on improving this image please.

Sunset at New Dock by robdphotographer, on Flickr

It looks good already, you could bring out more detail in the building facades and slightly darken the sky.
If you wanted to.

16206588272_ba8b5d4d62_o_1.jpg

Crop the sky, the top portion has no texture and does not add anything. This will also give the image a panoramic look which suits tall structures, gives effect of height. Assume a long exposure was used as boats appear blurred (along with water which was probably the effect you wanted). Could try losing brown building on left of image, building seems to lean(maybe parallax) but will offset tall building.

If you are looking for inspiration, take a look at viewbug. It is a really good photo site, I stopped using flickr once I found it. Plenty of truly amazing photographers and images that will make you want to go out and get that Magical shot.

Thought I might have a go.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is a slight vignette on the image and I placed two blue graduated filters on. One a darker blue for the very top of the sky and a lighter one beneath it.

Last edited:
If you are looking for inspiration, take a look at viewbug. It is a really good photo site, I stopped using flickr once I found it. Plenty of truly amazing photographers and images that will make you want to go out and get that Magical shot.

I already have a account on viewbug just dont use it often enough, won a few awards on it, i prefer to use flickr to show off work as well as my own website

There is no such thing as bad light, just what you do with it.
The shadow is good but is a little bright on the top end of the whites and blues.
Try reducing brightness by about 25% and boost the contrast a little.
Mess around with the individual channels in the histogram, particularly low end of red scale.
If you can get the building reflection on the right to really stand out, it will give an additional dimension.
Try to recall the colours you saw when you was inspired to take the shot, and bring out those vivid reds, pinks and oranges.
Don't be afraid to go overboard with the highlights, you can always start over.
Maybe even try creating additional saves at 2 stops above and below, then merge into HDR, will give additional data for the image to work.

Thanks guys, been at work today so shall have a go at a few adjustments here and there see what I think

Back