IC1396 - Elephants Trunk nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Something a little different. I know that there are some astronomers on here that will enjoy seeing this.

The Elephants Trunk nebula is loacated about 2400 Light years away in the constellation of Cepheus.

This image is a total of 12 exposures, each at 25 minutes than stacked to get the maximum amount of data from the image, totalling 5 hours of exposures. This is taken specifically with an astro camera, with it attached to a telescope.

IC1396 in Ha by swag72, on Flickr

Very nice Sara, that with the Atik ? The details look great, and the noise levels are nicely controlled for only 12 subs.

Hi John, Yes that's the Atik 314L+ and at -7 degrees as my ambient is well over 20 degrees at the minute. I have really struggled with some issues of late but think I may be getting there. It's all your fault you know!! :D

I've heard you mention that ... ;)... one day... I'll get an astro cam... but yeah, -7 is sure gonna help on the noise front.

That's very impressive:)

Awesome, well deserved for the ammount of work you put in. :clap::clap:

Very nice work (y) I'm always in aw of these type of photo's as I know the work that goes into them, I'm sure the recently announced Canon 60Di is going to be of interest to you (y)

Matt
MWHCV

Thanks Matt - I don't use DSLR's anymore for astro imaging. I found that it was just too hot for them out here in Spain and I was constantly battling the noise as the sensor temeratures were just so high.

fantastic stuff as always Sara (y)

Thanks Nigel.

I've done a colour version of this now - Still not quite right, but gives you an idea of what's possible in astro imaging

Hubble palette IC1396 by swag72, on Flickr

Thanks very much everyone. This was a big challenge to process and now have edited to get a more classic 'Hubble palette' without the redish tinge to it. I very much enjoyed capturing this and processing it, if only I found daytime photography so fun these days!!

Thanks Sarah - The colour one is my favourite too!

IMO definitely worthy of sending for print. I was going to say it would make a great screensaver or desktop wallpaper too, but I don't think I'd get any work done looking at it all day :LOL:

BTW I wonder about it every time I read one of your posts. What's the insect in your avatar pic? I'm fascinated every time I look at it.

I'm not sure how well it would print to be honest as the camera is only 1.4MP and only produces images about 1300px in the long side.

The insect in my avatar is a dragonfly up rather close!

:clap: cracker...I'm more impressed that you took a photograph of something 2400 Light years away, if you know what I mean!

2400 Light years away is just :nuts:

Cheers.

:clap: cracker...I'm more impressed that you took a photograph of something 2400 Light years away, if you know what I mean!

2400 Light years away is just :nuts:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - Mind boggling when you think that the light that I captured on my camera left the nebula 400BC (give or take!)

Back