Iceland - Goðafoss ("Waterfall of The Gods")

Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst on a self-drive touring holiday last month of Iceland I visited Goðafoss, a 12m high waterfall, up in the north of the country. I decided it would be a good place to have a play with my 10-stop filter, and took a raft of shots, including a sequence of bracketed exposures using full manual (as I wanted more than three, to give me more options for a bit of HDR later!). I'd struggled with heavy snowfall and gales until this day!

Using 6 exposures, and toning as I wasn't too keen on pure B&W, here's the end result. Special thanks must be given to AshMashMash, for kindly taking care of a few imperfections which were detracting from the image :clap:

IMG_4740-6HB-Flickr-Ash
by virmin78, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd really like to see a colour version of this as I think that it looks rather flat. I'm not sure that the B&W tone works too well with snow as it is not dissimilar to a snow shot taken without any exposure compensation to make it look nice and white. Perhaps a little more contrast would make it more punchy?

I like the idea behind this, but the overall scene looks a little flat as Sara says (especially the left hand side), and a bit soft. The reflection on the left is blown and quite distracting, and the hill above it is really lacking in contrast

Compositionally I think it works well, my eye is drawn in a sort of circle around the image which keeps it interested

With a few tweaks I think this could be really good (y)

Back