Iceland: Oh dear, oh dear! :D

Edit My Images
Yes
Day two of my 10 day self-drive tour of Iceland, and I only got myself stuck going up off-road! Even makes me laugh now! :D

IMG_4185-Flickr by virmin78, on Flickr

Enjoy! :razz:

Last edited:
We were on our way up to see the glacier at Sólheimajökull, and I sadly made a bad decision in the storm that we had, and ended up stuck! :/

It was well worth getting stuck in the end though, the glacier was fantastic! I've got over 1,200 photographs to go through yet, and hopefully we've got a good few goodies! :)

After this, I learned quickly to keep the power up and plough through the snow and not let it drag us off the track! :D

Weather looks the same as when I was there about 5 years ago. But would still go back someday. We never hired a car we just used public transport which did not get us off the main routes.We will look forward to seeing more of your Iceland images.

Ended up calling 112, and the police arranging for a truck from Vik coming to pull us out! The guy didn't ask for any money but, he seemed happy to be offered 2,000 ISK for his trouble! :)

After the drag back by a few metres, I kept a very hard-left, and ventured deeper along the tracks, crossing streams (ahem!), and deeper into the mountains. I did call a few people before the emergency services but, they all said, because of the storms that we were having, they'd cancelled all of their vehicles that day... we were the only nutters to be out that day! :O

We were up at 4am this morning to get our flight back (very reluctantly!) but, hopefully, we'll trawl through the pics over the next few days and get the better ones up on Flickr ;)

We're already planning our next trip for next summer! We've pegged some places to stay around the country from this trip, and will plug the gaps. Bit peeved that I didn't get to play with all my toys (filters, etc.) and had to take quick shots between storms, etc. but, was an amazing trip nevertheless. Iceland in winter cannot be explained, it has to be experienced ;)

Back