Icicles along a river

Edit My Images
Yes
Just the one pic, near Sedgewick. I am not too sure about this picture. It's ok, but nothing amazing I don't think.

The key thing that annoys me is the sky line and trees... and I can't do much about it whatever composition I get it seems! What do you reckon?

Hopefully the icicles will be there for a day or two more... so if anyone's got any tips for a better composition I can probably pop down again sometime :)

River Icicles by AshMashMash, on Flickr

I know exactly what you mean it looks to have great potential but the composition is not quite there. It looks like it may be dangerous getting closer to the edge. If safe I think getting into the water with wellies or better still waders you would be able to get a fantastic shot from this area. Bit cold mind:D

Hmmmmmmmmm

How deep is the brooke? I'm thinking, get your waders on and a stirdy tripod and set up half way out in to it....

Those icicles are amazing...should try and make the most of them

I know exactly what you mean it looks to have great potential but the composition is not quite there. It looks like it may be dangerous getting closer to the edge. If safe I think getting into the water with wellies or better still waders you would be able to get a fantastic shot from this area. Bit cold mind:D

Hmmmmmmmmm

How deep is the brooke? I'm thinking, get your waders on and a stirdy tripod and set up half way out in to it....

Those icicles are amazing...should try and make the most of them

I had this thought too, and really wanted to! But the water is deep, cold, and fast moving... I think it might not be a good idea :(

Neutral grad filter for the sky?

Good point... I maybe should have done another exposure for the sky (as I don't have an ND grad)... might have bought out some detail up there behind the trees...

How about getting down lower, and moving a bit to get something with a bit more detail in the immediate foreground. The large swathe of white in the lower right corner is so bright it attracts attention away from the icicles, hence getting lower to reduce it a bit. Also, getting lower will help to shrink the amount of dark river in shot a bit and increase the viewers recognition of the icicles as the main subject matter.

I would have to recommend another visit. Or selectively increase contrast on sky and above the stream, maybe crop half of the area above bank edge?

Perhaps... but it'd make the whiteness behind the trees, whiter?

How about getting down lower, and moving a bit to get something with a bit more detail in the immediate foreground. The large swathe of white in the lower right corner is so bright it attracts attention away from the icicles, hence getting lower to reduce it a bit. Also, getting lower will help to shrink the amount of dark river in shot a bit and increase the viewers recognition of the icicles as the main subject matter.

This was about as low as I could get! I was literally on the river edge... precariously. As you say, if the snow had more detail in it I think it would be more interesting - I did purposely get the snow/ice in on the right.

I shall probably give it another go when I get a moment...

All the interest for me is in the icicles on the left and the smooth water. I'm not sure I need to see the bank or the trees. If you zoomed or cropped right in on them you'd have something pretty special I think.

:thinking: Maybe it's just me, but I love the icicles in the foreground which grab you immediately but then the secondary 'hit' water that leads the eye to the beautiful light in the trees beyond, makes me want to follow the stream along and see what is out of sight. I know I can have odd taste at times, but I don't think the composition is off at all, its mysterious and intriguing and makes me want to see more. The only Bit I could 'lose' is the lower edge, maybe just a smidge too much bright white bank, but it's a very minor niggle :clap:

All the interest for me is in the icicles on the left and the smooth water. I'm not sure I need to see the bank or the trees. If you zoomed or cropped right in on them you'd have something pretty special I think.

Hmm... basically, I wanted to creat this effect:

:thinking: Maybe it's just me, but I love the icicles in the foreground which grab you immediately but then the secondary 'hit' water that leads the eye to the beautiful light in the trees beyond, makes me want to follow the stream along and see what is out of sight. I know I can have odd taste at times, but I don't think the composition is off at all, its mysterious and intriguing and makes me want to see more. The only Bit I could 'lose' is the lower edge, maybe just a smidge too much bright white bank, but it's a very minor niggle :clap:

^that! Haha. Thanks Yvonne, that's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for :) As you say, probably too much white in the foreground still though...

I have been down and looking at your position I hope you had someone with you, seriously dangerous, snow on top of ice down there, if you go in there is not alot of hope. Please be careful.

I like the image and composition, if you shot in RAW it will be dead easy to pull that sky back.

My shots are on my Facebook Page.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=314098&id=110186198803

I was being careful: the tripod was on the edge but I wasn't stood on anything slippery, it was pretty level and grippy where I was stood :)

I did shoot in RAW, but the whiteness is just whiteness isn't it?

Nice photos too!

Back