ID please - Juvenile Coot, Cheers guys,

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
I am showing my ignorance here, I feel I should know what this is but even with the help of my books I haven't made a positive ID, can anyone help please.
Taken early July this year so could possibly be a juvenile.

TJS_2543--July 11, 2014 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Is it a Moorhen chick?.
Cheers Lee. Its certainly possible, or even a Coot, they are both in the area, as are Great Crested Grebes, but its not one of them. The beak looks more like a Coot, but the colouring even for a chick doesn't seem to match up to anything I can find.

Look like a Coot to me, could be an (immature) American Coot …….. but should not be in the UK …….. where did you see it?

Last edited:
Definitely a juvenile coot :)

Be nice if it was an American Coot, but maybe wishful thinking on my part - there have been a few spotted in Ireland, not sure about the UK, this year
Probably just a normal "Euro" coot, (F. atra), especially with that white patch forming just below the eye, (see Collins Page 126 - 2nd Edition)

Sorry I cant oblige Bill, but thanks for all your help guys. I'm pleased it wasn't as clear cut though, it makes me feel better for not ID'ing it in the first place, even though I was on the right lines, but certainly not close enough (y)

Sorry I cant oblige Bill, but thanks for all your help guys. I'm pleased it wasn't as clear cut though, it makes me feel better for not ID'ing it in the first place, even though I was on the right lines, but certainly not close enough (y)

Here's a Red Knobbed Cote Trev - to show the "Coot" similarities

RK_C_1.jpg

Cheers Bill, if I see one in the UK I'll be delighted to post it here, but it might be a long wait. Its certainly similar to the Euro Coot and I guess could be mistaken from a distance.

Cheers Bill, if I see one in the UK I'll be delighted to post it here, but it might be a long wait. Its certainly similar to the Euro Coot and I guess could be mistaken from a distance.

It's a young Coot and you're an old Coot. The end!!;)

Possibly on the turn from juvenile Coot to first winter ?

I resisted a bald joke Trev.

Back