Ideas related to hardshell camera cases.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I love hardshell camera cases. They look professional inside and out. However... the one I have now has the "pluck foam" insert and while it does the job ok, it's beginning to show signs of wear.

Does anyone else use these? I'd really like some custom foam inserts made specifically for my kit, but not really sure if anyone does this. Tried google, but not having as much luck as hoped for...

You have to buy the foam and then cut it yourself. It's a bit of a hassle and I never feel that I do it as well as anyone else but it does do the job. (y)

You have to buy the foam and then cut it yourself. It's a bit of a hassle and I never feel that I do it as well as anyone else but it does do the job. (y)

Bah. That's what I was afraid of... Cutting it yourself HAS to be better than that pluck crap though right? Would be nice, if I could just tell a company what equipment I have and they cut it for me! :D

What make is your case? I know that Peli do custom foam inserts as they are used for medical equipment etc..its in one of their catalogues somewhere. If it is a peli case might be worth giving them a call.

Would be nice, if I could just tell a company what equipment I have and they cut it for me!

And when you find them , be sure to let me know. :LOL:

Would be nice, if I could just tell a company what equipment I have and they cut it for me! :D

Wouldn't you end up needing a new insert every time you got a new bit of kit, or sold something though :thinking: :shrug:

I mentioned the other day that I could do this as I have the capabilities, and have produced custom inserts (not necessarily camera gear) as a day job for the last 10 years or so.

It got deleted but I think it was because it was in the wrong section.

I'm trying to work out a price structure at the moment before I start offering them for sale, but feedback on what you think would be a reasonable price would be good.

Apologies to mods if for some reason this breaks any rules that I'm not aware of.

Probably, but it's like that with the pluck foam too for the most part... Only thing is the pluck foam really doesn't stand up well to wear and tear.

But the pluck foam, you only "pluck" the space you need, so when you get something new, you can just pluck another hole :p for it...

I thought you could buy lumps of foam - I know that years ago (20 or so) our local market had a stall selling foam for furniture etc on it... Might be worth trying a furniture restoration store to see if you can buy foam with the right density/colour/size

I mentioned the other day that I could do this as I have the capabilities, and have produced custom inserts (not necessarily camera gear) as a day job for the last 10 years or so.

It got deleted but I think it was because it was in the wrong section.

I'm trying to work out a price structure at the moment before I start offering them for sale, but feedback on what you think would be a reasonable price would be good.

Apologies to mods if for some reason this breaks any rules that I'm not aware of.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=158767

:wave:

i think what matty is saying is if you want to sell these then you will have to cough money up for a advert to sell these unless it is basically used or virtually new still with reciept

basically if you are on about selling multiple of these units then you automatically become a trader so will then need to pay TP for trading and advertising

I understand this as a reason, but until I actually want to start offering these for sale then it is just a discussion, surely.
No point entering into something without doing some market research, which is all this is at the moment.

But the pluck foam, you only "pluck" the space you need, so when you get something new, you can just pluck another hole :p for it...

I thought you could buy lumps of foam - I know that years ago (20 or so) our local market had a stall selling foam for furniture etc on it... Might be worth trying a furniture restoration store to see if you can buy foam with the right density/colour/size

Lol. Yeah, you can always just pluck away, but what if sell a large piece of kit and get a smaller one? Just can't win. :( :D

I've found another place that just sells whole pieces of foam in whatever size you need, so I may just go that route and cut it myself.... Maybe.

I understand this as a reason, but until I actually want to start offering these for sale then it is just a discussion, surely.
No point entering into something without doing some market research, which is all this is at the moment.

I personally see this as market research only. Gotta know that the market is out there. :D

That link that was posted above had a price list... All in US but can convert. A custom cut for a Pelican 1600 looked to be in the $150-$170 range... which is a bit high for my taste.

I personally see this as market research only. Gotta know that the market is out there. :D

That link that was posted above had a price list... All in US but can convert. A custom cut for a Pelican 1600 looked to be in the $150-$170 range... which is a bit high for my taste.

I'd certainly be pricing them a lot lower than that!;)

Pluck foam eh, that could be nasty if you have had a few drinks. Nearly as dangerous as a pheasant plucker

Nice! You ship to the states? :D

I actually downloaded that CaseCad program and it won't even let me run it because it says it's a version that isn't compatible anymore. They must not be making much money off of the internet. lol

Yeah, same here. Oh well, sorry for the wild goose chase...

Just an update. Went with the Peli 1600 and (gag!) pluck foam...

I have an idea how to combat the wear and tear though. Would like your thoughts on this Slimboy. What if I plucked out the necessary space for my kit, then used a spray adhesive on the entire top and bottom of the plucked piece of foam? How do you think this would work? I don't see an issue and think the spray adhesive might hold up nicely. Thoughts?

you should test an area with the adhesive, some adhesives will eat foam.....
otherwise, sounds good.
in model aircraft, some people get foam or polystyrene, then cut it to shape with a hot wire (car battery and correct guage wire required. Not advising this without some good research though

you should test an area with the adhesive, some adhesives will eat foam.....
otherwise, sounds good.
in model aircraft, some people get foam or polystyrene, then cut it to shape with a hot wire (car battery and correct guage wire required. Not advising this without some good research though

Thanks for the tip on the adhesive eating foam... Will definitely test an area.

And I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity... I'd probably kill myself with the wire and battery thing. haha! Will do research on that though.

Why not try the divider sets that Peli do - they do them for the 1600 cases.
I've got a couple of them and they work well for storing odd stuff as well as Lenses etc.

Why not try the divider sets that Peli do - they do them for the 1600 cases.
I've got a couple of them and they work well for storing odd stuff as well as Lenses etc.

Thought about that, but don't really like the divider system.

I know Draper have released a range of cases.
http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/B2CCATDSP.pgm?task=next&grp=D&sgp=00&typ=000

And we also supply tools in cases with the foam cut to shape, I can find out where we get these from tomorrow.(y)

Spence

I've found at on of places that will cut custom foams, but they are either crazy expensive or require a minimum order. :(

I'm doing research on the wire cutting myself though... Doesn't look that bad really. haha

Back