IEEE-1394 Not working! ( Camcorder OT )

Edit My Images
Yes
I was hopeing someone here might have the same camcorder and vista

The sony usb streamer for the DCR-HC24 Camcorder doesn't support vista thus that won't work. Sony being the :bang::bang::bang: they are refuse to support vista via the usb streamer. Thus i'm left with firewire , however i plug the 4 pin in one side and the 6pin in the computer , turn on and nothing happens!

The IEEE-1394 controller is enabled and working in the system devices but nothing happens. In windows movie maker it says Import video could not find a compatible digital video device.

Have a look through the menus on the camera, see if there is an output option anywhere, might need to be set to 'PC' or it might need you to manually change it from usb to firewire.

Failing that I am not sure :(

The only option for changing output is USB streaming ( ON / OFF ). Glad i spent £3 and not 23 from pcworld :(

Thanks anyway Jimmy

I had exactly the same issue with the same camera.
I downloaded the IEEE 1394 driver and hey presto.
Allegedly although the PC says it is working ok the driver actuall is not part of the Vista standard install.
Also the Sony software that comes with the HC24 does not run in Vista either. I use Total Media 3 and it works fine.

I had this problem with the Sony DCR-HC 35 and tried everything to try and resolve it. It turned out that the firewire port on my laptop had packed up.

I was using it fine for a couple of weeks before this and then the next time I tried connecting I got the same messages as you're getting.

I took the camcorder down to my local PC World and asked them if they would try it on one of their laptops - they did this for me and it was recognised straight away. I don't know if you've tried it on another machine but it might be worth a try?

Alison :)

I had exactly the same issue with the same camera.
I downloaded the IEEE 1394 driver and hey presto.
Allegedly although the PC says it is working ok the driver actuall is not part of the Vista standard install.
Also the Sony software that comes with the HC24 does not run in Vista either. I use Total Media 3 and it works fine.

Even though the
mkchlt.jpg
is enabled , any chance of a link to this driver? Thanks

I had this problem with the Sony DCR-HC 35 and tried everything to try and resolve it. It turned out that the firewire port on my laptop had packed up.

I have two firewall ports on my motherboard , doubtful it's that but worth a try i suppose. Thanks

Right click on the driver and select update device driver...search automaticall and it shold find it ok.

Remove the driver first, roboot and then update driver. Vista doesnt always play fair.

Did that no change...

I then tried taking it out and putting it back in one port , again and again no change.

I then tried the back port , in and out numorus times(how rude :p) and it worked. Seems like a cable issue.

Thanks anyway Hawkmoon for all your help

Have you got anything else you can try the cable on to make sure that's working ok?

Alison :)

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It frustrated the hell out of me when mine failed.

Back