If you could design a DSLR....

who copied Minolta;)
No.
The Minolta system only activated AF as you lifted the camera to your eye (useless).
The Canon system activated the focus point you looked at. One's a half useful gimmick, the other is a game changer (at least it would have been if it worked for everyone)

The Panasonic G1 is very probably the closest camera to my ideal that I've ever had or used so with it as my base I'd add a FF chip and also have one with a top of the line MFT chip too :D Other than that all the new G1 would need is a top of the line EVF and some firmware upgrades like the ability to use auto ISO in all modes, the ability to specify a minimum shutter speeds and focus peaking.

Last edited:
No.
The Minolta system only activated AF as you lifted the camera to your eye (useless).
The Canon system activated the focus point you looked at. One's a half useful gimmick, the other is a game changer (at least it would have been if it worked for everyone)

So when you visually sweep the frame to check for intrusions or things you don't want does it change the focus point or keep it where you originally looked at?

If the Sony A77ii had better dynamic range and better battery life then it would be perfect. It's more like the Dynax 9 than the others have been (not tried any of the FF offerings). Dynax 9 is already the perfect film camera to me. Idiot proof and allows mid roll changes :)

So when you visually sweep the frame to check for intrusions or things you don't want does it change the focus point or keep it where you originally looked at?
If memory serves, you had to keep eye contact with the focus point for about a second, and once it was locked you could recompose, sweep the viewfinder etc.

The failing was that it didn't work for 'everyone' and it was almost completely useless for glasses wearers. But for those it worked for it was brilliant.

Last edited:
If memory serves, you had to keep eye contact with the focus point for about a second, and once it was locked you could recompose, sweep the viewfinder etc.

That's quite clever and useful then (y)

That's quite clever and useful then (y)
You can pick up old EOS 30's quite cheap if you fancy a play. I think the EOS3 had more focus points, but they're a tad more expensive nowadays.

The failing was that it didn't work for 'everyone' and it was almost completely useless for glasses wearers. But for those it worked for it was brilliant.

Had an eos 5, cracking body to use and I loved the eye control, it worked great for me.

For me I would like to see the canon f1n and a1 design, loved those 2 bodies as well, especially when the f1n was gripped.

Back