If you get a pay rise...?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
If you get a pay rise, how do you react?

I had a phone call on Friday night from one of the bosses to say I was getting a pay rise and all I could think to say was "that's great" and "thank you". It was just a short call, maybe only 1 and a half mins, tops and we're only a small comapny of 8 staff. How would you react in that situation?

Difficult...

I'd text myself :)

We're always told via email, and respond in kind with appreciation.
I think your response was perfectly acceptable :)

If you get a pay rise, how do you react?

I had a phone call on Friday night from one of the bosses to say I was getting a pay rise and all I could think to say was "that's great" and "thank you". It was just a short call, maybe only 1 and a half mins, tops and we're only a small comapny of 8 staff. How would you react in that situation?

I think you reacted well and as it was obviously a spontaneous reaction - to say thats great and thank you - it's a genuine honest reaction :)

The real question you should be asking - "now what can I spend my pay rise on" :D

Congrats

Can someone explain the phrase "Pay rise"?

I received a pay rise this month actually. A fairly modest one in my eyes, but welcome all the same which was greeted with a "thank you, it's much appreciated". It had been on the cards for a while and discussed previously mind you so not a bolt out of the blue.

It's like 'pay' with yeast.
Nothing is actually added, it doesn't weigh any more, it just looks bigger.

I get one every year, union negotiates a deal for us and we vote whether to accept or not, if the latter union goes back to the table for more. For quite a few years now, they have been two year deals, whereby in the second year we get a percentage rise or .25% - .5% above inflation whichever is the greater. There is no-one we are obliged to thank for it, it just happens. I really must get my logbook done and handed in for a course I did 2yrs ago and then I could have another pay rise before the next one is due in November.

It's like 'pay' with yeast.
Nothing is actually added, it doesn't weigh any more, it just looks bigger.

Mine always weighs more once applied, so I'm not complaining. :)

I get one every year, union negotiates a deal for us and we vote whether to accept or not, if the latter union goes back to the table for more. For quite a few years now, they have been two year deals, whereby in the second year we get a percentage rise or .25% - .5% above inflation whichever is the greater. There is no-one we are obliged to thank for it, it just happens. I really must get my logbook done and handed in for a course I did 2yrs ago and then I could have another pay rise before the next one is due in November.

Just because you're not obliged to, doesn't mean you can't.

Just because you're not obliged to, doesn't mean you can't.
I'll send off an email to Bill Ford in November then, I'm sure his secretary/PA will appreciate it.

I had to sleep with the boss to get a pay rise. Good job I'm married to her!

:D

Thank you is sufficient I think :)

I got one out of the blue on my last day before Christmas just gone. Not much to say but thanks very much.

A good response tbh. (y)

What you now need to think about is.............. what extra work will they be expecting me to do! :D

I think the accepted response is to buy all your friends on Talk Photography a drink. Especially the person who discreetly pointed this out to you so that you wouldn't be embarrassed by committing a terrible faux pas.

Union and our work reps negotiate. They start low, we start high and we get what they had planned to give us in the first place which will be more than their first offer and less than ours. We never say thanks for the pay rise and never will.

NHS worker in Northern Ireland, so the term "pay rise" has been like a foreign language, for the last few years. Actually getting 1%, for this financial year, but they couldn't get it in our pay packets for April wages. Must be really difficult to work out 1%, especially with the new computer system, that they spent a fortune on! :eek:

Of course, with other changes this month, actual take home pay has decreased :rolleyes:

Just wish I had of stuck a few grand, on Leceister, at the start of the season :D

Union and our work reps negotiate. They start low, we start high and we get what they had planned to give us in the first place which will be more than their first offer and less than ours. We never say thanks for the pay rise and never will.

Charming.

I was called into the office this morning, first thought was Oh s*** what have I done now! Only to be informed that a pay rise would be in this months wages, not life changing but it's always good for wages to be on the rise, and a bonus over the monthly amount would be paid in six months time then on an annual basis, nice I thought since that wasn't mentioned during the interview.
Since this was truly unexpected my only responce could be thanks, very good and a big smile.

Last edited:
Charming.

We have just been forced to work 2 weeks extra for no pay. Some have been forced to work 2 weeks extra and taken a 4% pay cut. Others 5 weeks extra and a 7% pay cut. Given that we already work more hours than any office based staff then maybe you can understand why we don't feel the need to say thanks when we do get a pay rise. In fact if you want to be treated like a nobody go and work in the offshore oil industry.

The same where I work, except they also drag the negotiations out to Christmas as a way of encouraging people to accept (and have the back pay in time for Christmas). Unsurprisingly, no one thanks them.

"that's great" and "thank you".
Is exactly what I say. I'm the only employee and get told face to face, sometimes I'm not told at all and only know by looking at my bank account. It's given on the same date every year, so i know when to look for it.

NHS worker in Northern Ireland, so the term "pay rise" has been like a foreign language, for the last few years. Actually getting 1%, for this financial year

Well, that's 1% more than I'm getting...:(

Enjoy your wealth when you get it :cool:

Back