Ifrared filters

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I'm thinking of having a go at infrared photography with my 550D.
I've been looking round the Internet for a 58mm round filter and it's a absolute mine field.
Can any of you fine people point me in the right direction/give me some tips? :)
It would be much appreciated
Cheers
Ian

The standard infrared filter is the hoya r72, though i have no idea about the sensitivity of the 550d. Most modern dslrs have quite a strong hot mirror that blocks a lot of the available infrared light. You're probably looking at quite long exposures.

The r72 lets through a small amount of visible light so you can do false colour images too. The cokin infrared filter lets through a lot of visible light and the 89b lets through only infrared. For starting out id recommend the r72.

I've done the test on my camera with a ir remote and I know my camera can "see" ir. Don't know how sensitive it is though.
I've also been reading about the Canon 18-55mm kit lens having quite a strong hot spot right in the centre when using a Hoya filter

You'll need a decent tripod too, as exposure times with an unmodded camera tend to be around the 15-20 seconds range.

You'll need a decent tripod too, as exposure times with an unmodded camera tend to be around the 15-20 seconds range.
Easily. If it is slightly overcast, you'll be up to a minute or longer.

The best combo I've used so far, was a Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit-lens. In bright daylight you're at about 1-5second exposures.

vulcan2912 said:
I've just checked your bag and the 18-55is has a known hot spot for ir.Worth thinking about before you drop the money on a filter.

Cheers
Gary

This is the only thing that's putting me off. Because that's the only wide-angle lens I've got.
Might save my pennies until I get a better wider lens (10-20mm)

Cheers for all the help though guys.
Might get some ND's instead

with my 400D and 1D mk2 i found to have to set the camera to effectively +7 exposure compensation for sunny days, if it is cloudy then it's just muckying around on the day as everything looks more dull. i'm guessing the newer cameras maybe a little more.

i would just go for the hoya r72 or cokin p007 (the hoya i find is a little bit stronger filter(less normal light)) but found setting up the shot with the cokin series a bit easier as you just frame up your shot then pop the filter in the holder.

Back