I'm Back! - New Version Added

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Yep, actually took some shots Saturday with a DSLR. Straight in at the deep end doing a job for a cafe. I've never done food photography and know htat this is a long way from perfect, but, hey, it's a cake!

10784233274_e976ae5cc9_h.jpg

Yep it's the chair that's bugging me to its a distraction, I also think the you would have been better having the entire plate in frame as it is you've just clipped the edges and also the tips of cutlery and I find that frustrating

I agree about the plate and cutlery - full inclusion would have been better in my opinion, not so much worried about the chair as it's a table setting. Must be a decent shot though, as it's made me want some cake.

hi dean nice shot one very small niggle, theres a light or something between the tines of the fork (on the spoon ) looks like the fork has a bit of carrot stuck in it.just a little niggle (y)

I shot them originally much wider to include the table and chair and the full plates. I've cropped them quite heavily at various stages as I wanted the cake to be the star, but there is definitely the option to pull back somewhat. I left the chair in for context really because it is part of the furniture of the cafe.

the light between the parts of the fork is a reflection of the carrot cake. :)

Thanks for all your input, I will look at pulling back a little.

Okay, taken your points on board and pulled out a bit and even taken the saturation down of the little orange reflection on the fork.

10797100845_4bd3ca395e_h.jpg

Less is more. Lose the napkin and the cutlery aswell as the chair.

Me likes them too and would really like to be able to take good foodie photos.These look great and allthough I think the comments at first seemed "to me" to be picky. I can see they really do make a differance when corrected.

Gaz

Yep, actually took some shots Saturday with a DSLR. Straight in at the deep end doing a job for a cafe. I've never done food photography and know htat this is a long way from perfect, but, hey, it's a cake!

10784233274_e976ae5cc9_h.jpg

the cake is fine but not enough depth of field...the cutlery is a bit cut off and not leading in sharply
and the chair...
did you use a tripod
its possible you could have rushed this though to get some idea of how to set up the shot
cheers
geoff

the cake is fine but not enough depth of field...the cutlery is a bit cut off and not leading in sharply
and the chair...
did you use a tripod
its possible you could have rushed this though to get some idea of how to set up the shot
cheers
geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for commenting. If you'd scrolled down you would have seen a different version added. As it is I'll respond to your crit anyway.

Actually, I took quite a bit of time to consider how I set up the shot. I wanted to present the cakes how the cafe sells them for authenticity,
which included having the table and chair in the shot, albeit out of focus. The pulled back shot down the thread a little adds some context.
Did I use a tripod? Why would I need to? The cake is perfectly and completely sharp and has the dof I wanted. I can assure you that there was no
rushing involved.

I'm not sure about the rushing comment. It looks like a lot of thought has gone into the image. I definitely prefer the edit. The colour and white balance seem spot one and the DoF for me is spot on. Nice one Dean.

I'm not sure about the rushing comment. It looks like a lot of thought has gone into the image. I definitely prefer the edit. The colour and white balance seem spot one and the DoF for me is spot on. Nice one Dean.

Cheers, Peter.

To much of the cake out of focus for my liking, would have liked all the cake in focus.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for commenting. If you'd scrolled down you would have seen a different version added. As it is I'll respond to your crit anyway.

Actually, I took quite a bit of time to consider how I set up the shot. I wanted to present the cakes how the cafe sells them for authenticity,
which included having the table and chair in the shot, albeit out of focus. The pulled back shot down the thread a little adds some context.
Did I use a tripod? Why would I need to? The cake is perfectly and completely sharp and has the dof I wanted. I can assure you that there was no
rushing involved.

good work!

cheers
geoff

Okay, taken your points on board and pulled out a bit and even taken the saturation down of the little orange reflection on the fork.

10797100845_4bd3ca395e_h.jpg
sorry i didnt see this...and it fits your brief
everything in order and captured in the frame

cheers
geoff

Its probably not the critique you are looking for but when I first looked I thought there wasn't a lot to interest me but the more I look the more delicious the cake becomes.

Im off to get a sandwich :)

Steve

Back