iMac retina v Mac pro

Edit My Images
No
At present I have a late 2010 27" iMac which is very slow due to ageing 5400rpm HD and a newer 27" non retina iMac late 2013 (the thin new type).

I'm looking to move on my 27" 2010 and replace with either a retina iMac or a Mac Pro and a couple of Dell 4K monitors. These will be used for photography leisure and work (I'm a surgeon so treatment planning etc)

This would be my first Mac Pro and I like the sound of the parts being replaceable and fairly easy to access. I previously had an LCD issue with my 2010 and when it was sent away for repair I was down a whole computer.

Any input from current users would be great.

No I mean a Mac Pro with a 4K monitor. I would say some of our CBCT software is far more resource hogging than Photoshop or any media editing software so unsure of the over spec part. Also the fact that if a monitor failed I wouldn't be down my main computer but rather a spare screen can be purchased/borrowed to keep me going rather than what happened when the last time an iMac failed on me.

The retina iMac is lightning quick and the screen is simply awesome. Best purchase I've ever made.

Reduction in price recently too. Can't see you'd be disappointed!

The retina iMac is lightning quick and the screen is simply awesome. Best purchase I've ever made.

Reduction in price recently too. Can't see you'd be disappointed!

Do you know if they're likely to update the retina iMac soon? This is also something that I'm a little concerned about.

No I mean a Mac Pro with a 4K monitor. I would say some of our CBCT software is far more resource hogging than Photoshop or any media editing software so unsure of the over spec part. Also the fact that if a monitor failed I wouldn't be down my main computer but rather a spare screen can be purchased/borrowed to keep me going rather than what happened when the last time an iMac failed on me.

For that you need a pretty strong machine, a couple of xeon processors should do it. An imac would 'manage' it but wouldn't drive it as well as a pro.

If you are just using it to view rather than reconstruct images etc then an IMAC would be fine. for Agfa pacs stuff Imac is more than capable.

Have you thought about a used mac pro (very capable and savings would be substantial).

Well you never mentioned CBCT in you opening post but it would depend on the requirement of the software really.

I can tell you we've been swapping our older silver tower type pros out for i7, high ram etc macbook pros and for the most part they've been excellent. Unless the CBCT software needs a particularly pokey GPU (I.imagine it.may well do)?

Whenever you but a computer it's inevitable that it'll be updated soon. My advice is simply to stretch your budget as far as you can to get the faster processor and biggest ssd you can (the recent price drop helps) and enjoy the fact you've had it in the period you'd otherwise have been deprived of it if you wait for an update.

For that you need a pretty strong machine, a couple of xeon processors should do it. An imac would 'manage' it but wouldn't drive it as well as a pro.

If you are just using it to view rather than reconstruct images etc then an IMAC would be fine. for Agfa pacs stuff Imac is more than capable.

Have you thought about a used mac pro (very capable and savings would be substantial).

All good points, thanks for the response. I haven't considered a used one, this would essentially be a business purchase through my company therefore it makes sense to buy a new one.

If I do buy a Mac Pro it will be running 2 possibly 3 4K displays. I think for the possible 1K extra outlay against a top spec iMac the 6 core 3.5 Mac Pro seems a better option. When 5K becomes more mainstream I can always upgrade the monitors.

Last edited:
Whenever you but a computer it's inevitable that it'll be updated soon. My advice is simply to stretch your budget as far as you can to get the faster processor and biggest ssd you can (the recent price drop helps) and enjoy the fact you've had it in the period you'd otherwise have been deprived of it if you wait for an update.

Good point well made.

You could just buy a mac pro 'cause its cool and you need (read want) one' :D
:LOL: To a point I would agree but one of main issues I have is the reliability of the thing. I hear the new retina iMacs run pretty hot.

I never planned to buy a 2013 but 2 days before my Applecare ran out on the 2010 the GPU and LCD died on me. I kid you not, it took 6 attempts by Apple to repair the thing. It was back and forth for over 4 months at which point I just decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I wasn't really working with scans to such an extent then so work wise my laptop kept me going but if that was to happen now I'd have to resort to using the dire Microsoft things at the office. At least I know the Mac Pro is designed for heavy duty work, my workload is only going one way at the moment so makes sense to buy a professional based unit from the outset (and also look cool).

IMO buy the fastest, and best you can afford, because its going to last 'that little bit longer'.

I work in Audio, and although people say 'Oh, that doesn't need any of the power a Mac Pro has' , i can assure you, i can CRIPPLE a new Mac Pro easily, with less that 40 tracks of audio.

IMO - Get a Mac Pro.

IMO buy the fastest, and best you can afford, because its going to last 'that little bit longer'.

I work in Audio, and although people say 'Oh, that doesn't need any of the power a Mac Pro has' , i can assure you, i can CRIPPLE a new Mac Pro easily, with less that 40 tracks of audio.

IMO - Get a Mac Pro.
:plus1:

IMO - Get a Mac Pro.
without knowing the requirement of the software its a moot point really.

If you've got the cash for a pro and 4k screens then go for it, i myself went retina MAC as i like the 5k screen and it ticks everything i need in PS and Lightroom world. and looks neat too.
I did price up a pro but after adding good screens from Eizo it was near 4 grand. too much for me to swallow. The retina paired with a 1080P 27inch is more than enough for me.

Have you considered the older Mac Pro? A friend today just picked up a 2012 12 Core monster with 32GB Ram. It should keep him ticking over for many years to come.

Have you considered the older Mac Pro? A friend today just picked up a 2012 12 Core monster with 32GB Ram. It should keep him ticking over for many years to come.
The price of a very high spec older Mac Pro and a mid spec new one seems comparable. I would be getting the Applecare which is a big necessity.

The current iMac has a quad core i7 processor and can be spec'd up with 2 Gb of video RAM for about £2,200 or there about .This is very similar to the spec for the Quad core Mac Pro . The Pro only has 256 of on board flash storage although it can be spec'd up higher as can the iMac.

The iMac does have a faster processor available then the Pro 4GHz v 3.5GHz. Now you can get more cores in the Pro if you want to. However does your software make full use of the extra power available on the Pro ?.

Do you need 3 monitors.? I think the iMac will only support another monitor apart from it's own. Not sure about that as you may be able to have additional ones if they are Thunderbolt monitors. ( Ask Apple)

OK I understand your concern about reliability but my iMac is a few month off 6 years old and no problems . It will be replaced with a new 5K iMac in a couple of months. ( Just making sure that any new rumored Macs appear or don't in October) .

Back