Image of Moon Via Telescope

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Well the sky tonight offered some clear patches so connected the camera to my telescope and took a few of the Moon.

moon-oct-c.jpg

Thanks

Nice shot. My son has been trying to get some shots like this with the same setup using his 2x Barlow lens, but is failing, any tips on settings?

Last edited:
Nice shot. My son has been trying to get some shots like this with the same setup using his 2x Barlow lens, but is failing, any tips on settings?

The camera is connected to the telescope via a standard T adapter for the Nikon no other eyepiece or barlow lens is used. As for camera setting these work really well, Focus Mode: Manual - AF-Area Mode: Single - Shutter Speed: 1/640s - Metering: Center-Weighted ISO settings I start off with ISO 400 then work down to ISO 100 for best results.

Thanks for comments all.

Nicely done Anthony.. what scope do you have, I'm guessing something like a large reflector ?

Rocket, a barlow is basically a teleconverter for a scope. However, the distance between the lens element and the sensor means you will get more than 2x focal length increase. Focusing becomes the biggest bug bear when you start doing that, it becomes far more delicate. If you've got liveview, use that and zoom all the way in to focus.

Last edited:
The camera is connected to the telescope via a standard T adapter for the Nikon no other eyepiece or barlow lens is used. As for camera setting these work really well, Focus Mode: Manual - AF-Area Mode: Single - Shutter Speed: 1/640s - Metering: Center-Weighted ISO settings I start off with ISO 400 then work down to ISO 100 for best results.

Thanks for comments all.

Thanks for the details. its all quite new to him, not a lot of practise as there has been a lack of decent weather conditions. so will pass on your details to my son and hopfully he will get something better than he has thus far..
regards.

Rocket, a barlow is basically a teleconverter for a scope. However, the distance between the lens element and the sensor means you will get more than 2x focal length increase. Focusing becomes the biggest bug bear when you start doing that, it becomes far more delicate. If you've got liveview, use that and zoom all the way in to focus.

Thanks John. I haven't spent no time with him myself, but know he was having problems focusing. At one point he got a decent shot but because of the range he was only able to get half of the moon....No live view on his D80...
Telescope is Skywatcher Reflector D=130mm F=900mm
Regards.

Last edited:
Nicely done Anthony.. what scope do you have, I'm guessing something like a large reflector ?

I have a Skywatcher 150P Newtonian Reflector pier mounted within my custom built roll on roll off skyshed, it really is a nice scope the views of the Planets such as Jupiter and Saturn are amazing. Now I have set things up I shall be doing plenty of deep space imaging wont get the same results as a astro CCD camera but still rewarding and a challenge at the same time.

skyshed-roof-on.jpg

Nice setup Anthony... That on an HEQ5 ? Good luck with the deep sky, it is challenging.

Rocket, I think you should be able to focus without the barlow (but I'm not sure). Remove the end cap from the drawtube (where the EP's go), I think there should be a T thread there directly. That'll make quick a difference for the moon, 900mm, it'll fit nicely.

Nice set up Anton.

Nice setup Anthony... That on an HEQ5 ? Good luck with the deep sky, it is challenging.

Rocket, I think you should be able to focus without the barlow (but I'm not sure). Remove the end cap from the drawtube (where the EP's go), I think there should be a T thread there directly. That'll make quick a difference for the moon, 900mm, it'll fit nicely.

Thanks John, It is hard witout the barlow, he has tried using just the T mount, but its hard to focus in. Looking at Antons capture, next moon we will get out there.

Back