Improbably good second hand price?

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't doubt MPB's general reliability based on what others have said, but what do people think of this Really Right Stuff Versa for £539? As far as I can tell, that's a top end RRS model (older generation, but still) that would normally go for something like thrice that cost. Still a bit steep for me, but £1000+ savings seems like one hell of a steal for a professional-level product, maybe too good to be true. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that tripods should be a pretty safe secondhand buy compared to cameras or lenses that have a lot more delicate moving parts.

The first one is a 34 and the second is a 33. If the 34 is the 34L I would consider it the better tripod and a steal; if it is the regular 34 it will pack smaller than the 33, but be a little less rigid; both go to 58". The 33 could also be the 33S (now discontinued), which IMO is too short at 50"; but it is also the stiffest tripod they've made in the TVC series. I would find out what the max height of each is.

You would be saving maybe $1k over new models, not over the original list price. Depending on what you want, the second/third(?) versions with the rubber padded top plate is the better choice over the current solid metal top plate (better vibration damping vs higher stiffness).

A used tripod is a good choice and a safe bet, especially for the high end stuff.

Last edited:
Back