In America - Does anyone want anything?

Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I'm currently out in the Washington DC area of America for three months with work. Does anyone want anything?

Looking at Amazon.com, B&H, DigitalRev etc quite a few items are cheaper out here when you take in to consideration the UKP to USD exchange rate.

Happy to have things shipped to my hotel while I'm here - drop me a PM if you're interested.

Mods - sorry if this is the wrong section!

Andy, honestly right now prob better off buying from Amazon.de or .Es as euro rate is so good can knock around 25% of UK prices and at least match US prices with some manufacturers being fine with EU purchases on their warranties e.g Tamron. Great offer from you though :)

Andy, honestly right now prob better off buying from Amazon.de or .Es as euro rate is so good can knock around 25% of UK prices and at least match US prices with some manufacturers being fine with EU purchases on their warranties e.g Tamron. Great offer from you though :)

That doesnt really apply to everything though.

Agreed but the fact UsD is as poor as it has been for a long time means any gains over the reduced € pricing right now is very minimal if at all (at least on the 'virtual' shopping I have been doing over the last week)

Agreed but the fact UsD is as poor as it has been for a long time means any gains over the reduced € pricing right now is very minimal if at all (at least on the 'virtual' shopping I have been doing over the last week)

$1.47 to £1 is STRONGER than it's been for years!

But the whole point of buying in USD is to get a cheaper price, if you only get 1.47 to the pound and the cost of a lens is $1000 then you pay £680 if as it was 6 months ago it was 1.7 then it was £588 for the same lens!

Example Tamron 10-24 is $499 Amazon.com and €409 Amazon.de so equiv costs are £339 from US or £290 from EU whereas 6 moths ago would have been £293 from US @1.7 and £327 from EU @ 1.25

I am not an FX expert but that's pretty clear to me that buying from EU now is better than buying from US?

Does the OP know this forum has tens of thousands of users?!

All goods would be liable to duty and VAT on entry to the UK.

But the whole point of buying in USD is to get a cheaper price, if you only get 1.47 to the pound and the cost of a lens is $1000 then you pay £680 if as it was 6 months ago it was 1.7 then it was £588 for the same lens!

Example Tamron 10-24 is $499 Amazon.com and €409 Amazon.de so equiv costs are £339 from US or £290 from EU whereas 6 moths ago would have been £293 from US @1.7 and £327 from EU @ 1.25

I am not an FX expert but that's pretty clear to me that buying from EU now is better than buying from US?

I totally agree, so why on earth say "..the fact UsD is as poor as it has been for a long time.." when it is actually stronger?

What I should have written is £/USD is as poor........ My point was to Twists comment, not to be having a trading discussion on the strength of the dollar :)

Customs officer... is that a 70-200 2.8 in your trousers or are you just happy to see me?

Well this blew up :p

1) Not paying - you cheaky whatsits!
2) Just saying if there're deals on the 2nd hand market like B&H that you can only get if you're US side - happy to help.

Lol, very generous offer although if you were paying too I'm sure you would have more interest ;)

Back