In-depth review of the Sigma 150-600mm S from LensTip

You can edit it... Under the advert is a link that says thread tools click that and then you can edit it.

Well that looks nice! A very positive review. If I ever go full frame there may be some hard decisions between keeping the 120-300 or buying the 150-600 S...

Is it worth swapping my Nikon 200 - 400 F4 for Sigma ?

Personally I think the Sigma (at 5.6 - 6.3) is too slow but it would give extra reach. Decisions decisions...

If you were to rent one of the Sigmas, I think we'd all be very interested to learn of your experience with them both side by side. I know I'd love to see how this compares to my usual Nikkor 300mm f/4D + TC14E - the extra reach would be very helpful, but only if it could match the Nikkor's sharpness. I suspect it's likely I'll wind up selling my 120-300mm f/2.8, and put that toward one of these, in the coming months.

I have the 120-300mm & suspect that it will also be going. I like it with the x1.4 (@f5.6) but thats only 420mm. I don't like it with the x2 (even @f8) so if I can get 600mm (@6.3 - better @f8) that I'm happy with then thats the lens for me.

Is it worth swapping my Nikon 200 - 400 F4 for Sigma ?

Personally I think the Sigma (at 5.6 - 6.3) is too slow but it would give extra reach. Decisions decisions...

That's my feeling on it too. With a 1.4 extender on the 120-300 becomes 420 f/4 and it's perfect but with a 2x at 600mm it's pretty soft. If the 150-600 maxed out at 5.6 and was a little faster at the short end it would be a potentially easier decision... f/2.8 at 120 and 300mm is very useful, instead you have f/5... Although better ISO ability of FF would reduce light issues...

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting but I think the S version will be too big and heavy for what I am after. Would be interested to see a comparison between these new Sigmas and Canon's 400mm F5.6L + 1.4X extender.

Will be interesting when images are compared directly between the S and the C versions.
I use the Sigma 150-500mm and 90% of my shots are hand held, as I like to wander around! Looks like the C version will be similar in size and weight to the 150-500,
but the S version is longer and heavier. so might struggle to hand hold. But if the S is going to be a big step up in image quality over the C, looks like I might have to use a monopod/tripod, and get a bigger bag!

I tend to use a monopod anyway and sling it over my shoulder. Hopefully it will be ip there with the 120-300 especially as you can you use the new 1.4x tele at it will retain AF (as long as your camera will af at f/8 ie 7d2, 5d3 and 1 series canons)

According to the Sigma website it claims to still autofocus on bodies capable of f.8 probably tricks the camera into thinking the max is f5.6 because otherwise it wouldn't AF at all at 600mm on any bodies

But if the S is going to be a big step up in image quality over the C, looks like I might have to use a monopod/tripod, and get a bigger bag!

I don't see anything that says there is any difference than basically 'build' for 'pro' use.
From the images I have so far seen from the 'S', I can't see any image quality reason to choose it over the Tamron which appears to be cheaper than either of the Sigma versions.

I don't see anything that says there is any difference than basically 'build' for 'pro' use.
From the images I have so far seen from the 'S', I can't see any image quality reason to choose it over the Tamron which appears to be cheaper than either of the Sigma versions.

The Sigma 150-600 'C' version is much more similar to the Tamron than the Sigma 'S' version, at least on paper. The 'C' model is not expected until next March, but compared to the 'S' it is smaller, lighter, cheaper, doesn't have weather-resistant build and has completely different optical design.

The Sigma 150-600 'C' version is much more similar to the Tamron than the Sigma 'S' version, at least on paper. The 'C' model is not expected until next March, but compared to the 'S' it is smaller, lighter, cheaper, doesn't have weather-resistant build and has completely different optical design.

That I had missed, but the only images I have seen are from the 'S' and I don't see them as being anything better than the Tamron ... however early days in terms of the images out there :)

I don't suppose any one has any idea when the Sport version is due?

I don't suppose any one has any idea when the Sport version is due?

I assume very soon. There are only two in the UK at the moment though - one for dealer demos and one that is currently doing the rounds with photo mags, starting with the most respected testers, obviously. I had it first, a couple of weeks ago ;) :D

I assume very soon. There are only two in the UK at the moment though - one for dealer demos and one that is currently doing the rounds with photo mags, starting with the most respected testers, obviously. I had it first, a couple of weeks ago ;) :D

Jealous....

I am wondering how this would do with birds on a 7d2 in my local nature reserve.

Back