In the garden yesterday

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
These were captured hand-held in our garden yesterday with a Sigma 105 macro on a Kenko Teleplus Pro 2X teleconverter on a Sony A7ii, with a Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash. The nominal f-number (set on the lens/camera) was f/45, giving an effective aperture down to f/132 at 2X magnification.

The raw files were batch processed in DXO PhotoLab and then Silkypix, with Lightroom then used for image-specific adjustments and export to 1300 pixel high JPEGs. The AI Clear method of Topaz DeNoise AI was used in batch mode on the JPEGs.

There are 1300 pixel high versions of these images and another 60 or so images from the session in this album at Flickr.

1651 06 2020_06_13 DSC03242_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1651 17 2020_06_13 DSC03302_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc

1651 34 2020_06_13 DSC03395_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc

1651 49 2020_06_13 DSC03444_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc

1651 52 2020_06_13 DSC03458_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc (1)

1651 53 2020_06_13 DSC03462_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc

1651 55 2020_06_13 DSC03464_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc

1651 64 2020_06_13 DSC03478_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-DNAIc (1)

Lovely set Nick great detail .

Very good, I have loads of woodlice but I never see them doing that. The aphid is really good, they are surprisingly difficult to photograph in my experience.
I was thinking if you want more invertebrates in your garden, why not tell your wife that you want organic fruit and vegetables?
A lot of fruit is good - for a short time sadly - for pollinators. I think runner beans are also good.
The only ever time I photographed a bee fly in flight was on apple blossom.
I would try to get the following :-
dual family apple tree with different pollinating seasons for the two apples
currant/gooseberrry
raspberries
blackberries.

Good luck

Very good, I have loads of woodlice but I never see them doing that. The aphid is really good, they are surprisingly difficult to photograph in my experience.
I was thinking if you want more invertebrates in your garden, why not tell your wife that you want organic fruit and vegetables?
A lot of fruit is good - for a short time sadly - for pollinators. I think runner beans are also good.
I would try to get the following :-
dual family apple tree with different pollinating seasons for the two apples
currant/gooseberrry
raspberries
blackberries.

Good luck

Thanks David. And thanks for the suggestions. I put my toes in the water yesterday but didn't get much joy. I may have planted the seed of an idea though. Sometimes these things take a while to mature. We'll see.

To add to that, Bees love Lavender I have a small lavender hedge and when it blooms (on the verge now) It gets covered in bees. Frog hoppers like it too, it also gets a good covering of "Cuckoo spit"

To add to that, Bees love Lavender I have a small lavender hedge and when it blooms (on the verge now) It gets covered in bees. Frog hoppers like it too, it also gets a good covering of "Cuckoo spit"
Good point - although it needs sun to attract them. You could try to sell lavender (and rosemary) for cosmetic and cullinary reasons - if attracting bees is not enough reason.

We have lavender. It does get a lot of bees. For some reason I don't get on too well with photographing those bees.
You could try putting some sugar solution in some of the flowers. My problem with bees, is that they like lots of heat - and I don't like it. I find photographing in the heat tricky. Ideally I would want a place with lots of sun and lots of shade so I can go from one to the other.

Superb detail and fantastic set.

Thanks Bryn.

View: https://youtu.be/wfdUlVYvfJU?t=171
He says its Tracing paper sandwiched between plastic, guessing to stop it getting wet.

I tried several variations on that theme, with the flash heads a long way back like he has them, which is good for diffusion, and a single layer like he uses. Having the flash heads so far back is not good for flash power requirement though. Presumably he uses rather more sensible (a.k.a larger) apertures than I do. I couldn't get as good a combination of diffusion and recycle times as I can with some other setups.

I tried several variations on that theme, with the flash heads a long way back like he has them, which is good for diffusion, and a single layer like he uses. Having the flash heads so far back is not good for flash power requirement though. Presumably he uses rather more sensible (a.k.a larger) apertures than I do. I couldn't get as good a combination of diffusion and recycle times as I can with some other setups.

I'm working on versions that are in between both. He states on the 25mm video he uses f4 f5.6, i tend to use f8 f11. I know you are somewhat higher.

I have noticed that my yongnuo 568 ii is deciding to choose it's own power, which is annoying when trying to test things :ROFLMAO:

I'm working on versions that are in between both. He states on the 25mm video he uses f4 f5.6, i tend to use f8 f11. I know you are somewhat higher.

Just a bit. :D

Mind you, with the 25mm he is at at least 2.5X, for which f/5.6 is f/20 effective (and 5X is f/32 effective).

I have noticed that my yongnuo 568 ii is deciding to choose it's own power, which is annoying when trying to test things :ROFLMAO:

Not good. :(

Back