Ink cost of printing a 10 x 8

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know the real ink cost of printing a 10 x 8 on a Canon MG 6460 inkjet or the canon MG 7160? ... both can use the larger ink carts .. trying to decide if its worth it or to out source .. cheers

Irrespective of cost, outsourcing seems easier if you have a workflow where you remain in control of the results, ie use a lab who will print without intervention when requested.

It is not just the ink... There is the cost of photo paper, and you will want to print at least one every week or it will dry and kill the head. And I would want more ink colours and pigment based dyes to get the best results... And are you sure A4 is the biggest you will want? I thought about A3+ and realised I may want 24"x16" or 30x20" so I would be looking at Canon iPf6400 :LOL: - when I setup a printing business shop!

On the other hand a lab will charge delivery (£4 or more) but will be cheaper for conventional prints. It makes more sense for less frequent bigger orders

Thanks for replies .... I need to be able to print one off 8 x 10s I do have a couple epson 2100 for my larger prints but they are rather ink hungry.... I do have some done at a lab but postal cost would make it to expensive so thought a a4 printer could be ok ... also have a small canon for everyday use and have put a couple 6 x 4 through and am amazed at the result for such a cheap printer thats what got me thinking of a a4 printer ......

Like you daufirdas I would like a canon ipf6400 .. but its not likely to happen any time soon.. :-( .. see your in Bristol I was brought up in Shirehampton .. live in Australia now .. fond memories of Bristol ..

I saw an advert for Aldi photo doing prints 12x8 for 30p ish
Who wants to be first to try them out?

34p sounds ok but being in Australia doesn't really help .. :(

I can get 6 x 4 for 9 cents each and are really good but 10 x 8 are almost $3 each... that why I was interested in cost for printing a 10 x 8 myself..

Not sure what A$3= in £ but it's probably more than a home print would cost. Never costed prints done at home - for me, it's worth it even if per print is more than home cost, control and fast results are more important to me than cost.

I think there is something special with home printing as you have total control start to finish, plus you have a better choice in papers.

Not sure what A$3= in £ but it's probably more than a home print would cost. Never costed prints done at home - for me, it's worth it even if per print is more than home cost, control and fast results are more important to me than cost.

1AuD is about 55p , so 3 would be £1.65 - its hard to belive that a 10x8 would cost that much in ink alone, but you've also got to factor in paper, wear and tear on the pinter, your time and so forth

in the UK DSCL charge 50p for a 10x8 (so slightly less than 1AuD) but everything in Australia is more expensive - due principally to the cost of import. If you are having a lot done it may work out cheaper to have them printed in Singapore or HK and posted to you.

Last edited:
Yes seem like a big jump in price from 9 cent for 6 x 4 to $3 for 10 x 8 but its the best I have found also doing one offs so outsourcing unless local is out of the question...

nex7photo.... it is always special watching a print come out and seeing the final result....

and

just because I live in Australia doesn't mean I support them ... been here 40 years and could never call myself Australian.. :LOL: were not done yet but the fat lady is tuning up ...

Yup, I can hear Warney gargling in readiness for his rendition of Waltzing Matilda!

Watching a print emerging from the slot is better than opening an envelope of prints but not as magical as seeing an image appear in the tray. Less smelly too!

Back