Internet speed is driving me crazy

just to be clear, no ISP promises any set speed. its always an "up to" figure.

id get on to your ISP though, could be a fault on the line. as someone else said post your SnR and attenuation stats from your router.

Actually with BT for a long time they have promised a minimum service level in the contract I've agreed too..

Our service from BT is very good. I can't remember the last time it failed and gives us about 6-7Mbps download.

What really annoys me about BT is it appears we have been hung out to dry as far as fibre optic is concerned. About 4 years ago the BT website said they planned to bring fibre optic to us within about 18 months. Now their site says -

"We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet. You might consider co-funding fibre access in your community."

This is in London and we live less than 1.5 miles from the exchange and about 0.25 miles from the cabinet.

All of this is even mare annoying when the TV seems to be full of BT adverts for their broadband packages.

Dave

You all have much better speeds than most of us here.
After many delays they seem to have enabled the exchange but it''s 3 miles away so still on ADSL forever I expect, as they refuse to put a fibre cabinet in outlying villages.

Having said that on good days I get 4MB down and 0.4 up - this means we don't even qualify for a proposed token system(?) for satellite BB - not that I'd get it anyway as it 's crap.
A better solution for many locally might be 3G mobile except there's no mobile cover at all either and no chance in the future either despite all the fake promises of 95% coverage.
They will no doubt 'achieve' that by further subtle changes in the way the existing coverage is shown.
It has already been magically averaged so good signal on hilltops where no one lives has been smoothed into the dale where there's no signal - so easy - and cheap!

It is astonishing really that after the war with limited machinery and resources almost every house was connected to electricity and phone - but now with fantastic machinery available it's impossible to put up a mast or lay two miles of new cable.

Last edited:
After many delays they seem to have enabled the exchange but it''s 3 miles away so still on ADSL forever I expect, as they refuse to put a fibre cabinet in outlying villages.

Having said that on good days I get 4MB down and 0.4 up - this means we don't even qualify for a proposed token system(?) for satellite BB - not that I'd get it anyway as it 's crap.
A better solution for many locally might be 3G mobile except there's no mobile cover at all either and no chance in the future either despite all the fake promises of 95% coverage.
They will no doubt 'achieve' that by further subtle changes in the way the existing coverage is shown.
It has already been magically averaged so good signal on hilltops where no one lives has been smoothed into the dale where there's no signal - so easy - and cheap!

It is astonishing really that after the war with limited machinery and resources almost every house was connected to electricity and phone - but now with fantastic machinery available it's impossible to put up a mast or lay two miles of new cable.
Can you not get some kind of microwave setup?

Not sure from quick skim if this was picked up by anyone else but you mention intermittent beep instead of dial tone, that alone would make your modulation element drop in the attempt of clean signal and may be caused by say having left a message waiting on an old answer service? Some of those notified waiting recordings by breaking the dial tone.....

One thing i would say about Plusnet,who i am with,their service has gone down hill a bit since getting their own servers & giving new customers free broadband for a year.:(
They are not the same anymore in my opinion,customer service has dropped a lot,my contract ends next month,not sure if i will move on or not.:confused:
I used to recommend them to everyone,but not anymore i,m afraid.:eek:
I have been with them for almost 5 years.

Last edited:
Nope just a domestic contract
Dug out the paperwork and found that yes the domestic contract does have a minimum speed....35Mbps on a signed up 76Mbps.

Just imagine going into the pub and asking for a pint and the landlord serves you ⅓ - ½ a pint instead. Or only getting 2 litres of petrol when you filled up with 4.54 litres (1 gallon).

You would have legal redress on that.

BT Con artists.

Virgin are offering upto 200mb in my area......that's 200 more than I'm getting haha

I had a similar issue and after I had a new line fitted, umpteen filter changes, it turned out to be a fault on my next door but one neighbours line.

Hi All

Does anyone else want to pull their hair out when it comes to internet speed?

I'm with plusnet, and was promised well over 20mbps when I took the policy out. Now, for the ladt 6 months (if not longer) I've been experiencing really bad service.

Just sack them and go with someone else. Why you putting up with that for so long?

get yourself the new super hub from virgin it has blown my network away wow heres a screen shot from a minute ago.

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 19.51.50.jpg by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

The "super" hub is crap.. I have mine in modem mode and gone back to my D-Link router. It's fine as a modem, but as a gigabit switch and router it's pants. My server that backs up my back up server (yes I have back ups of my back ups) is in an out building with a 20 metre CAT6 cable run. All was well with the D-Link router... the Virgin super hub just kept throwing errors up all the time and my back ups kept failing. Relegated it to a mere modem, and went back to the D-Link... absolutely fine.

Piece of crap.

Last edited:
One thing i would say about Plusnet,who i am with,their service has gone down hill a bit since getting their own servers & giving new customers free broadband for a year.:(
They are not the same anymore in my opinion,customer service has dropped a lot,my contract ends next month,not sure if i will move on or not.:confused:
I used to recommend them to everyone,but not anymore i,m afraid.:eek:
I have been with them for almost 5 years.

Not particularly in disagreement (roughly 20 yrs with them here well f9 anyway) but what is the "getting their own servers" you refer to?

Having said that on good days I get 4MB down and 0.4 up

That's what I was getting before my exchange was FTTC enabled. To be honest it was fine, yes it's nice having the faster upload and on occasions where I need to pull down an ISO of an OS or something it's handy, but 4Mbps was fine for browsing, streaming video etc.

The "super" hub is crap..

Yep, the router bit of it has a very short timeout on TCP/IP connections, so things that have intermittent traffic, like SSH sessions, tend to get dropped as the NAT info gets deleted. It's rubbish (and really annoying).

Yep, the router bit of it has a very short timeout on TCP/IP connections, so things that have intermittent traffic, like SSH sessions, tend to get dropped as the NAT info gets deleted. It's rubbish (and really annoying).

Thought so. Can't fault it as a cable modem though. Been flawless.

That's some impressive speeds, There. got any rooms to rent? haha

The bargain basement virgin fibre service is pretty good too... just slower upload speeds... which I'm not arsed about.

Awesome ping times.

B1ts,Plusnet now have their own servers which they are in the process of changing customers over to their own servers just now,are you with Virgin now?.

In case anyone is not aware the new superhubs from Virgin default to blocking all vpn traffic. Can be easily changed but worth being aware.
That explains things. Please tell me more on how to unblock.

B1ts,Plusnet now have their own servers which they are in the process of changing customers over to their own servers just now,are you with Virgin now?.

Nope with plusnet been with them 20 ish years since the f9 days as I said in other post.
They have always had their own servers...They also have had their own dslam equipment at exchanges for years too if that was actually what you were talking about given this threads topic?

Just confused what you are meaning by "servers" in your context as unaware of them using 3rd party facilities for any server useage I know of (obv exc offsite stuff within backup/security frameworks) and would like to know if my data with them is not as it should / believed it to be....
Thanks in advance.

That explains things. Please tell me more on how to unblock.

Access the router config (router ip or hub name in browser address bar and the login credentials unique to your router, either by letter or sticker or plastic card of some sort, this is not the same as your wifi name or key btw) if you not familiar) and untick the block vpn traffic option, cant recall exact wording but was not a difficult find once realised it was blocking by default.

If you do some research you will see that plusnet used the BT servers,but now they have their very own.
If you check out plusnet cummunity you will see they are busy moving customers over to the PN servers.:)

If you do some research you will see that plusnet used the BT servers,but now they have their very own.
If you check out plusnet cummunity you will see they are busy moving customers over to the PN servers.:)
If you do some you will see plusnet were bought out by BT a few years ago.
That aside which servers are you talking of, web host...email....ftp/cgi etc etc?
My dites and email and ftp and cgi all reside on f9 hardware and always have, never a bt address used, would have left if they had not kept the seperate entity model as would many I guess.
Not looking for an argument just want to understand what you say is happening...will go look at their forums to see if I can understand thanks anyway.

Access the router config (router ip or hub name in browser address bar and the login credentials unique to your router, either by letter or sticker or plastic card of some sort, this is not the same as your wifi name or key btw) if you not familiar) and untick the block vpn traffic option, cant recall exact wording but was not a difficult find once realised it was blocking by default.
Ta. I'll have a play later.

Hi All

Does anyone else want to pull their hair out when it comes to internet speed?

I'm with plusnet, and was promised well over 20mbps when I took the policy out. Now, for the ladt 6 months (if not longer) I've been experiencing really bad service.

I have a smart tv, this doesn't work. A playstation, this doesn't work. My laptop, takes literally 40 minutes to upload 1 pic to facebook.

it's driving me mental.

just look at this for broadband speed!

not even 1 mbps download speed.

I'd be happy with 0.77, I get 0.5mbps and no prospect of it increasing. To be fair to BT they have never promised any higher speed but it's not reflected in the price they charge.

In your case when you've been promised 20mbps Plusnet should deliver 20mbps. At least Plusnet has call centres in the UK, my heart sinks when I have to call BT faults, they can't understand my accent and I can't understand theirs. :thinking:

Having said that on good days I get 4MB down and 0.4 up - this means we don't even qualify for a proposed token system(?) .

32 Mbps isn't bad for a rural location. If the treasury ever manage to correct their sums, then the rural roll out should help.

Has the original poster actually contacted Plusnet about this problem? What have they said?

In my experience they can often be excellent in fixing such faults/problems (although BT Openreach can be a pain for all sometimes). If the OP doesn't want to phone them, howsabout posting a query on their forum, they've just switched over to new forum software so things aren't settled forum-wise yet, but there's lots of helpful people there if you ask.

I'd give Plusnet a chance to fix any possible faults first as switching to another BT reliant ISP is unlikely to change much.

Last edited:
Back in the day I used Plusnet for quite a while and their customer service was good for a budget ISP.

Back