Critique Inveraray castle

Very nice Steve.
No.2 for me - the dark area in the bottom right hand corner is somewhat distracting in the first.
Very nice nether the less.

Reactions: ST4
Lovely shots Steve - I actually prefer the first with the positioning of the castle slightly to the right and the mountains/rocks behind being a little more in shot (y)

#2 is good as well and has the better unobstructed reflection of the castle... so there's pros and cons for both for me... lol :D

Last edited:
Hi Steve, Both shots are very good with the first being my favourite. I prefer the composition and the reflections are more complex which I like very much. As for the dark area in the bottom right I feel it gives the shot a bit of depth and doesn't bother me in any way.(y)

Only my opinion of coarse.

George.

Not bad photos, but not up to your usual high standard.
Inveraray is a great place. Never been to the castle, but it looks like it would be worth a visit.

Not bad photos, but not up to your usual high standard.
Inveraray is a great place. Never been to the castle, but it looks like it would be worth a visit.

What a fantastic looking castle.
Like the idea of the reflection hasn't quite worked in either due to the lack of water, everything else looks great to me.

Winter rain will fill up the river and a lower sun will give the light to make this sing. I'd agree it's just a bit hard light wise.

Bob, Inveraray and loch awe are close. See/shoot both
Hi Steve, Both shots are very good with the first being my favourite. I prefer the composition and the reflections are more complex which I like very much. As for the dark area in the bottom right I feel it gives the shot a bit of depth and doesn't bother me in any way.(y)

Only my opinion of coarse.

George.

I think you need some shadows just to give a little contrast, a lower sun would cast more shadow. Time of day. It's everything

Last edited:
Winter rain will fill up the river and a lower sun will give the light to make this sing. I'd agree it's just a bit hard light wise.

Bob, Inveraray and loch awe are close. See/shoot both

I think you need some shadows just to give a little contrast, a lower sun would cast more shadow. Time of day. It's everything
We go to Inveraray a couple of times a year. Stay at the George hotel.
My pal had a caravan on the shores of loch awe for years. Done a lot of fishing on the loch from his wee boat. Can be dangerous though, as the conditions can change very quickly.

We go to Inveraray a couple of times a year. Stay at the George hotel.
My pal had a caravan on the shores of loch awe for years. Done a lot of fishing on the loch from his wee boat. Can be dangerous though, as the conditions can change very quickly.

Ah the George. Happy memories of that place and the food. Mmmmmm.

I bet it can be dangerous- weather can get tricky up there. I love loch awe, I'd drive up there before work to shoot morning golden hour at kilchurn castle then head into work. Always feels good to get out in the country as the day just starts and breathe that air and feel the tranquility and open space around you.

Ah the George. Happy memories of that place and the food. Mmmmmm.

I bet it can be dangerous- weather can get tricky up there. I love loch awe, I'd drive up there before work to shoot morning golden hour at kilchurn castle then head into work. Always feels good to get out in the country as the day just starts and breathe that air and feel the tranquility and open space around you.
You're making me want to go now. I'm off this week, but got a lot of diy jobs to catch up on.:(

You're making me want to go now. I'm off this week, but got a lot of diy jobs to catch up on.:(

The weathers a bit crap the now. Get a half decent morning, get the golden am hour and shoot from the bridge.

Last week had some great mornings, then was your time. Keep an eye on the forecasts and nab a morning.

Back