Ipad... for photography!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Was in PC world yesterday and have to admit the Ipad took my eye.

I've been after an interface for mobile web surfing and occassional email etc and photo back up, deleting on the move etc... would never do any processing on the move really... I've been looking at netbooks for ages but just never been convinced by them... I find the ipad a cool alternative!

Has anyone else got one... do you use it for photography... how do you find it.

I was worried id have issues getting it to talk to my camera but im told it should be ok... but im not sure yet... can it deal with raw files?

Any thoughts anyone... or am I better going for a good notebook instead? I would not want to spend more than £600

I use it for showing my portfolio, all my weddings are on there. Even the latest one that I don't have sample album made yet

It is intuitive to use, the screen is great and the screen size is where it is more a giant iPod touch.

I'm a sort of Apple fan so i know heaps about their products, i'll give you what i know of.
The iPad has a camera connection kit which you can buy in order to put SD cards and the such into the iPad. From what i know, the iPad does work with raw files. And the raw looks better than the JPEG, if you find that this is totally wrong if you get it, test it out as soon as you get it and return it. I would get an iPad partly because netbooks are slow and not very good. I've heard that Apple are going to Upgrade the iPad, possible adding a camera but making the UI and OS better which would be better for photography, the Upgrade is due for before the end of this year. Wether you want to wait for the better (and probably more expensive) version or just to ahead with an iPad or a netbook, you can always go for the older version of the iPad if you don't like the upgrade. I don't have an iPad so i don't know exactly everything, sorry if i haven't been a lot of help. Hope that's helped you out a bit though. ;)

If the ipad update and released before Xmas I'll not only eat my hat but buy you one. There are parts of the world where the iPad hasn't even been launched yet and only been launched here 8weeks ago in the uk. It's sold over millions of units, what reason are there for an update after 7 months of release? A yearly update next April is more likely, logical and in line with their schedule with the iPhone update.

The only reason people think there will be one before end of the year is they dont want the first gen and wishing the 2nd is around the corner when in reality is that it is 10 months away on these shores.

Last edited:
Has anyone else got one... do you use it for photography... how do you find it.

It has transformed how I interact with clients in the studio. Ipad is now used for all of the following:

• Showing and choosing examples / styles before a shoot starts
  • Across the room posing guide
  • Booking Viewings
  • Taking Credit and Debit Card Payments
  • Contact Sheet at Viewings
  • Price List at Viewings
  • Updating my task manager at viewings
  • Keeping kids / models entertained whilst they wait on make up artist to finish friends hair etc

Sounds crazy, but I would now be gutted without it. I am going to get a second one as I want all staff to be able to use one.

Gary.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if there was a new one this years. iPhone & iPod get the yearly update, Macs tend to be updated more regular than this.

It has transformed how I interact with clients in the studio. Ipad is now used for all of the following:

• Booking Viewings
  • Price List at Viewings
  • Keeping kids / models entertained whilst they wait on make up artist to finish friends hair etc

Sounds crazy, but I would now be gutted without it. I am going to get a second one as I want all staff to be able to use one.

Gary.

Which app do you use to take payments Gary?

Does anyone know...

Can I review .RAW files straight from my camera on it via a USB connection with the camera kit? EOS5d Mk 1

Can I edit photos on the move on it? Will canons DPP work on it? Is there an alternative RAW editor for it?

Does anyone know...

Can I review .RAW files straight from my camera on it via a USB connection with the camera kit? EOS5d Mk 1
Yes

Can I edit photos on the move on it?
Limited, but yes

Will canons DPP work on it? Is there an alternative RAW editor for it?
Not really. There are loads of editing apps, but I'd not recommend trying to do much more than crops and a bit of contrast. Edit's also don't modify the original RAW file so it's fairly safe.

Ah. Could you give me some more info? Is it a service provided by your bank?

(sorry to hijack the thread!)

You need a business bank account first and foremost, and then you need a merchant bank account. Once those are in place, do a search for Virtual Terminal. We used to use PAYPAL but it's "card holder not present" only....

You really need to shop around to get the best deal. I can reply in more detail later - baby shoot starting in 20 min....

Gary.

Yes

Limited, but yes

Not really. There are loads of editing apps, but I'd not recommend trying to do much more than crops and a bit of contrast. Edit's also don't modify the original RAW file so it's fairly safe.

Can you tell me how... I.E ... If I just hook up the camera with the camera hook up kit and will I see them as raw files on the screen in the photo section ... or do I need an app?

If so what app...

Im just thinking if its like my PC then you cant see RAW files on the windows explorer viewer and I need to do it in DPP...

Sorry a bit of a technophobic... Im sure its all very easy...

• Booking Viewings
  • Price List at Viewings

Gary.

Gary, do you use any specific apps for this, or just ical etc...

Can you tell me how... I.E ... If I just hook up the camera with the camera hook up kit and will I see them as raw files on the screen in the photo section ... or do I need an app?

If so what app...

Im just thinking if its like my PC then you cant see RAW files on the windows explorer viewer and I need to do it in DPP...

Sorry a bit of a technophobic... Im sure its all very easy...

You don't need an app to transfer and view the images, it's done by the built-in software. Hook up the camera or the card and it will give you thumbnail previews of the images, you then select those that you want to import or just import the whole lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuW7Exs53bc
Takes some time, but then you can view/edit them to your heart's content. The apps you may need would be for the editing (eg. Filterstorm, Photogene, etc)

Copying back onto your pc from the ipad can be done from windows explorer.

Last edited:
Looks like you guys need to split out another thread in "Business" for taking payments.

Back to the iPad - I bought a WiFi model just before my recent holiday out to the USA. The idea was to use it for all my email, browsing and photo backup/edit/posting whilst on the move.

The only fly in the ointment was the seemingly total unavailability of the Camera Connector Kit which is a pair of USB and SD card dongles that plug in the bottom of the iPad and enable you to connect your camera/card and grab the pictures into the iPad. Luckily and after some persuasion and blagging, I managed to get one in the Apple store in New York otherwise the thing would have been useless for photos.

Anyway, having been an initial sceptic, I am now a confirmed addict. I use an app called Filter Storm for all the picture editing and it is actually remarkably capable. Quite pleased with it and it's only a few quid.

Not sure about the RAW aspect of things. I was taking pics in jpeg mode. I did take some in RAW+Jpeg and the iPad seemed to understand this, and I think the edits via Filter Storm were applied to the jpeg copy. Probably best to shoot raw + jpeg in your camera to be sure.

Display of the pics to the family whilst on the holiday was excellent, and the iPad is a super way to show slideshows.

All in all, I'm now addicted to the little thing.

Thanks Guys... You have confirmed what I wanted out of the Ipad... Im going to go for one...

But what size... Im thinking the 32GB?... what have people got that use it for pics... remebering that its for on the move rather than long term storage... Im thinking now... would I get away with the 16GB... or maybe the 32GB would be better as I could put my music on ti too!

Reading again though... Can I just check as its not clear from Delk's answer...

Does it recognise RAW files without any extra software?

M

Thanks Guys... You have confirmed what I wanted out of the Ipad... Im going to go for one...

But what size... Im thinking the 32GB?... what have people got that use it for pics... remebering that its for on the move rather than long term storage... Im thinking now... would I get away with the 16GB... or maybe the 32GB would be better as I could put my music on ti too!

I bought the 32GB and TBH I wish I had the 64GB and I don't use it for photo's yet either! I would suggest the 32GB over the 16GB any day, but I don't know how deep your pockets are!

Def gonna go for the 64GB... just after a final confirmation from someone....

Can it handle RAW files without any additional software... and these can be viewed on the photos programme that comes with it as standard... if I buy the photo kit!

M

Just looking at another post from today, the NEF RAW isn't brill, but drop box seems to help sort that out. I see you are Canon, so should be OK out of the box, with the adapter, importing RAW is supported and viewing is native.

OK - I just switched my 1DIV to RAW, took a snap, stuck the SD card into the connector dongle doo-dah, and it imported fine. The pic was a CR2. It opens OK in the Photos application, and also opened in Filter Storm. No idea how it does that - very clever.

Go spend some money dude!

Oh, and I got the 32GB version which is fine for me. I've got a load of music on it plus 8 full length DVDs which I watched on my recent long haul flight, plus loads of pics. Go for 64GB if you can afford it - more is always better.

Sorry, was going to clear that up earlier. Handles raw perfectly fine, yes.

for me i see potential via these points;

ability to use a portfolio and if you show a client a portfolio on an ipad then it shows that you have style and class.

viewing sessions for clients to pick the images they want.

ability to hook it up to your camera there and then to check exposure on a big screen, the best would be a streaming app so you can view what you photographing via the ipad.

BRILL!!!! Thanks guys... I'm a bit excited about my purchase... off to get one from i store today! Thankyou!!! Think i'll go with the 32GB

M

Do not go for the 16gb, not worth it especially with the price difference. I went for 64gb... overkill at moment but sure I will start to eat into that quickly.

So, what will the iPad do that a decent laptop / netbook can't ...?

Ah. Could you give me some more info? Is it a service provided by your bank?

(sorry to hijack the thread!)

We used http://www.realexpayments.com at work and so far they've been excellent. Good drill downs etc and fast support. We bank with AIB but it shouldn't really matter who you bank with so long as it's a fairly major bank.

You can't add storage and it's not a replacement for the epson IMO.

Cheers Ray. Can you say why not? Obviously the total storage is much lower, but I think I could live with that (and use the PC for bulk storage at home). BTW, do these things integrate smoothly with a PC?

Another question if I may, what's the difference beween the iPad and the iTouch, apart from that wonderful big screen of course? And for that matter, does either of those do anything that an iPhone won't do?

It takes too long to transfer pics on sites thats why i don think it would replace an epson. Plus the max storage is only 64G, i have 90G of Cf cards...that doesn't fit into it and i don't have time to pick and choose pics on site.

So, what will the iPad do that a decent laptop / netbook can't ...?

a thing for me is that if you were on the bus/train and wanted to check your emails then all you do is pull out the ipad from your bag and have a go, it seems more convenient that even taking a netbook especially having to wait for it to load and its just bulky. getting out an ipad would be as simple as pulling out your phone.

the ipad as I mentioned in my previous post is an excellent digital portfolio and its better than carrying a bulky netbook that has a horrible screen compared to the ipad.

a thing for me is that if you were on the bus/train and wanted to check your emails then all you do is pull out the ipad from your bag and have a go, it seems more convenient that even taking a netbook especially having to wait for it to load and its just bulky. getting out an ipad would be as simple as pulling out your phone.

the ipad as I mentioned in my previous post is an excellent digital portfolio and its better than carrying a bulky netbook that has a horrible screen compared to the ipad.

Thanks Luke :) I reckon I need to have a look at one ... Must admit I'm tempted :cool:

Got it... went for the 64GB... and it is truely AMAZING!!!

"a thing for me is that if you were on the bus/train and wanted to check your emails then all you do is pull out the ipad from your bag and have a go, it seems more convenient that even taking a netbook especially having to wait for it to load and its just bulky. getting out an ipad would be as simple as pulling out your phone. "

This is exactly why it apeals to me... it replaces sooo many things and gives me sooo much!

Love it and only had it on for an hour

anyone got any other usefull photo apps to suggest... or any others for that matter!

Got it... went for the 64GB... and it is truely AMAZING!!!

"a thing for me is that if you were on the bus/train and wanted to check your emails then all you do is pull out the ipad from your bag and have a go, it seems more convenient that even taking a netbook especially having to wait for it to load and its just bulky. getting out an ipad would be as simple as pulling out your phone. "

This is exactly why it apeals to me... it replaces sooo many things and gives me sooo much!

Love it and only had it on for an hour

well you've convinced me now and I'm adding it to my list lol. personally I might wait and see what asus offer because I could get the same thing for cheaper so I'll have to wait and see.

Back