IPAD FOR PP

Kev

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never used Mac, but recently been given an iPhone for work and I'm well impressed.
I'm thinking about buying my wife an iPad to use for web browsing and I'm wondering about using it for PP instead of; or as well as my PC.
Is the iPad suitable for photo editing and is Lightroom available for it? I guess from the reports that the screen quality is well up to the mark, but is the processing quick enough and is the touch screen easy to use or would a mouse still be needed?

cheers
Kev

Whilst the display may look impressive the iPad wasn't designed to replace laptop computers. It has a totaly different function and target audience.

As far as photo editing is concerned, the processing power is fairly limited, although a version of iPhoto is available I'm not sure it has all the features of the full Mac version, although I could be wrong here.

Neither Photoshop nor Lightroom are available for the iPad, plus there is no mouse option for the iPad, it's touch screen only I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info. I'll just get the basic version for her then.

cheers
Kev

I use Aperture on my Mac mainly, but if I'm messing around with a shot on my iPad/iPhone then I use Snapseed. You should try it on your iPhone (won't have to purchase again for iPad). It's a really intuitive piece of software and gets nice results. But overall, not to replace a Mac/PC for PP.

You might also look into Photosmith, which integrates tightly with Lightroom, and Filterstorm, which claims to run even on the original iPad. There's certainly no shortage, at any rate, and generally all very cheap, on the order of $3-5, with the exception of Photosmith, at $20.

Personally, I've used Snapseed, but I'm tempted to try out Filterstorm, as appears to offer somewhat more advanced control. (iPhoto's also surprisingly capable, but installing it on an iPad 1 is rather hacky; quite unfortunate Apple chose not to support the original model, given it does seem to run happily on one)

I've got both Filterstorm and Snapseed. I think I'm leaning more towards Snapseed, but having said that, any PP I do on my ipad is usually just a quick edit on a jpeg that I've transferred straight over from my camera. Anything that involves anything more than a quick tweak, I use the raw file and Lightroom/Photoshop on the PC. I prefer to have as much control as possible. It's a woman thing. Hear me roar. ;)

Iphoto is very good but only the iPad 3 will run it IIRC.

Photoshop Express is also very good, although it's very much cut down from the desktop versions.

straycat said:
only good for very basic holliday snaps imho.

I wouldn't say that, there are some very effective processing apps for iPad. I'm between houses at present and have been using an iPad 3 and iPhoto for the past few weeks as my pc is in storage and it's been more than adequate.

Last edited:
Back