iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of the things I was wondering too. Sure, there's an SDHC reader, but I only use the SDHC slot on my D300s for recording video. I still use CompactFlash for the stills.

I would hold my hopes up for it shooting RAW though. I might consider configuring my camera to shoot RAW+JPG though and have it put the RAW files on CF and the JPG files on SDHC automatically. That way I can at least do quick reviews of the images with clients quickly on a display better than the camera's built in LCD.

That would mean I'd have to fork out for a faster (probably much more expensive) SDHC card though. I only went for a 16GB class 4 SDHC card as the D300s only uses about 3MB/sec (or thereabouts) for recording HD video.

How about if the adapter just read usb? No need for particular card models then, just usb from camera to iPad

How about if the adapter just read usb? No need for particular card models then, just usb from camera to iPad

The camera kit actually comes with 2 cables/adapters. One is a dedicated SDHC reader. The other contains a USB socket for connecting to your camera.

What I was wondering were the capabilities of that USB socket. Can it only be used with a digital camera? Will it only work with cameras that connect using USB Mass Storage Mode? Will it only work with cameras that use P2P mode? Will it work with both?

If it'll work with USB Mass Storage Mode, will it then work with any USB card reader of any format? Will I be able to hook up a USB hard drive with its own external power source?

There's so little information about the camera connectivity kit yet, that's why I haven't decided whether I want one of these or not. Because if it ends up being too limited, it's not going to be much use to me.

I do find it quite interesting reading the responses to the iPad, kind of reminds me of the slating Apple got over both the iPod and the iPhone, guess those are doing allright now!

My major disappointment with it is the storage capacity, I was hoping to have something I could take as mobile backup for after a wedding. As it is I think it will make an incredibly slick portfolio presentation unit and for that reason alone I will almost certainly be buying one, would much rather take that than my laptop when visiting clients!

I don't give a toss about the camera, I would like flash but it's not really a biggie for me, the multiple apps would be a bonus. Other than that, as a unit to have around to house to grab and have a quick flick around the net and maybe watch a tv episode or read a book, it looks spot on.

I do find it quite interesting reading the responses to the iPad, kind of reminds me of the slating Apple got over both the iPod and the iPhone, guess those are doing allright now!

My major disappointment with it is the storage capacity, I was hoping to have something I could take as mobile backup for after a wedding. As it is I think it will make an incredibly slick portfolio presentation unit and for that reason alone I will almost certainly be buying one, would much rather take that than my laptop when visiting clients!

I don't give a toss about the camera, I would like flash but it's not really a biggie for me, the multiple apps would be a bonus. Other than that, as a unit to have around to house to grab and have a quick flick around the net and maybe watch a tv episode or read a book, it looks spot on.

you need more than 64gb for the photo's you've taken at a wedding? Do you take over 3000 photos at a wedding?

Er, no thanks, as with recent apple launches, no doubt there will be "revolutionary" improvements in connectivity and functionality. The lack of USB, or other interface, support sucks pretty hard, no on-board camera, flash support, incomparability with service providers' standard SIM cards all stack up to making this look like another expensive white elephant from the Apple stable.

you need more than 64gb for the photo's you've taken at a wedding? Do you take over 3000 photos at a wedding?

Not currently, but I don't shoot any video at the moment. I do know people that carry 70gb's worth of cards with them (eh Mondo ;) )

It would also mean I can't use it for much else. No biggie, and as said I will almost certainly have one. Would have just liked a 160-200gb drive in there.

Not currently, but I don't shoot any video at the moment. I do know people that carry 70gb's worth of cards with them (eh Mondo ;) )

It would also mean I can't use it for much else. No biggie, and as said I will almost certainly have one. Would have just liked a 160-200gb drive in there.

well video storage is another thing altogether, if videoing a wedding I think even 70gb would be small especially in 1080p

why do you predict a thread closure? theres no heated exchanges on the horizon

That's one of the things I was wondering too. Sure, there's an SDHC reader, but I only use the SDHC slot on my D300s for recording video. I still use CompactFlash for the stills.

I would hold my hopes up for it shooting RAW though. I might consider configuring my camera to shoot RAW+JPG though and have it put the RAW files on CF and the JPG files on SDHC automatically. That way I can at least do quick reviews of the images with clients quickly on a display better than the camera's built in LCD.

That would mean I'd have to fork out for a faster (probably much more expensive) SDHC card though. I only went for a 16GB class 4 SDHC card as the D300s only uses about 3MB/sec (or thereabouts) for recording HD video.

But why compromise and change your pattern for a device? There are a few devices out/coming out in the same format that have USB slots, allowing you to just plug in your camera and copy, then show the photos to your clients. This isn't a revolutionary device (it's not even a new format) which is why I think this device is so poor.

In this 1st generation, you are right, but next year/next generation, who knows? it is easily possible if you think about it.

A lot of people want a device for general things and not a computer. Teens, non techie people etc. My mum would be able to use this no probs, as the OS is so simple, and that is where this will succeed, several are talking of it as a tablet computer, it is not (in current incarnation anyways) but will have several people wanting to use it because it does essential things like the web and is easy to work with little possibility of crashing.

I think of the iPad like Sky Plus, many people couldn't programme a video or dvd recorder but love sky plus due to it's ease and use it all the time. Is it the most powerful/Best solution? Not technically no, but so many use it because it does what "most people" need it to do. This is where the major market for the iPad is.

Again, there are devices that have just come out/are coming out that do the same things except run proper OS's, everyone and their mother know how to use windows machines for example, no training and none of the issues this has. For a general internet device it is pretty poor at displaying the internet, compared to the other devices that are coming out that appear to be far better, all for a similar price (probably some lower and some higher).

I think the argument that it is a first generation is a little silly when you compare it to the other first generation devices.

why do you predict a thread closure? theres no heated exchanges on the horizon

Same reason the last thread which mentioned both WINDOWS / MS and APPLE / OSX got closed...it's not hard to find it :)

I think the one problem with this launch, is Apple have really failed to get across to the masses what this device is. It's a cool touch screen media player / browser with added functionality via the Web Browser and App store.

It confused me at first too, I thought it was a crazy device...but if you think about it in the context of viewing photos / movies / reading documents / web sites, and perhaps playing the odd MP3 - it's going to be awesome. If you expect a full blown OS (I did), then OBVIOUSLY you will be left scratching your head.

I kinda like it, but the price point and alternatives running Windows 7 on release date will dictate what I buy. I would prefer this running a full blown OSX, but lets face it - it would cost an obscene amount.

Gary.

I don't get why? Posts like this only provoke. This is a really interesting thread so far!

Not provoking anything, just stating what will be proven a few pages down if the whole "Apple vs MS" thing continues to kick off. Happened every other time, not sure how this will be any different.

G.

It may be that the 2nd or 3rd gen are OK, the iPhone is only just imho approaching the functionality of a good smart phone, sure it has a lot of cool apps, but how many of them are actually useful rather than being a diversion.

I own an iPod, but only so I don't cane the battery on my phone on long journeys without the ability to recharge it, the sound quality of my phone is slightly better than the ipod though.

But why compromise and change your pattern for a device? There are a few devices out/coming out in the same format that have USB slots, allowing you to just plug in your camera and copy, then show the photos to your clients. This isn't a revolutionary device (it's not even a new format) which is why I think this device is so poor.

Again, there are devices that have just come out/are coming out that do the same things except run proper OS's, everyone and their mother know how to use windows machines for example, no training and none of the issues this has. For a general internet device it is pretty poor at displaying the internet, compared to the other devices that are coming out that appear to be far better, all for a similar price (probably some lower and some higher).

I think the argument that it is a first generation is a little silly when you compare it to the other first generation devices.

aside from not having flash, how is this not the greatest mobile device for browsing the internet? what is better?

Not provoking anything, just stating what will be proven a few pages down if the whole "Apple vs MS" thing continues to kick off. Happened every other time, not sure how this will be any different.

G.

i don't think it will, this isn't an apple vs microsoft thread, it's about the iPad, there's gonna be a few apple vs microsoft points floating around but it's not going to be the main focus

Sorry this isn't for me, I'd rather spend the money on a new macbook, this is too limited and too expensive for what looks a lot like a digital photo frame, and I wonder how many screens are going to get broken?

i don't think it will, this isn't an apple vs microsoft thread, it's about the iPad, there's gonna be a few apple vs microsoft points floating around but it's not going to be the main focus

Hope I'm proven wrong then, it is a good thread. I am waiting on someone finding the golden nugget that is a Windows 7 Multi Touch Tablet, with a as big as or larger screen, in the region of £300 to £500 !

Gary.

But why compromise and change your pattern for a device?
huh? How is it a compromise? what pattern do you believe I'm changing? I don't understand what you're asking here.

There are a few devices out/coming out in the same format that have USB slots, allowing you to just plug in your camera and copy, then show the photos to your clients. This isn't a revolutionary device (it's not even a new format) which is why I think this device is so poor.
But it is a revolutionary screen for such a device. It's an IPS display, which means that you don't get differences in contrast just as you scan your eyes from the top to the bottom of the display. It means three or four people can be crowding around it and all see the exact same image.

Well yes, but that is £5000 versus £500, surely if apple launched a device in that price bracket it would be just as amazing.

£5K ? I'm sure it was £1K on the dell uk Web Site...I may be mistaken.

agreed, they will both co-exist quite happily. Microsoft will continue to make products that fit well into buisness category and Apple will continue to make products that fit into the entertainment category. Apple will just grow and take share from microsoft in the entertainment and home use category but it won't take over the business space where microsoft will happily exist.

The education space however is a different place entirely where I think microsoft will lose share, not just to apple but to Linux. Schools are already getting fed up with paying so much money for operating systems they are looking elsewhere more and more. Ubuntu will gain more and more space in this field

OT really but although I agree slightly with you I don't think Apple will ever get a large market share the way they currently operate. In 15 years I reckon Apple will probably rise to around 15% of the market but then stagnate around that level (unless they opened OSX to other vendors). Windows will certainly loose market share, but not by a huge amount, mainly due to business and the jack of all trades it is. A lot of the loss microsoft make will probably be made up by something like Google Chrome OS (not the standard Linux flavours, including Ubunto), which will probably become the second larges OS (market share wise).

Have you seen the alternatives out there? Have a look at the Archos 9 for a start, has a 160GB HDD in there in a similar sized device. Also the HP slate that is being raved about, as well as a couple of Android devices.

For some reason Apple always get far more advertising than other companies. That in turn seems to make so many people not realise there are alternatives out there (iPods and iPhones are prime example of this, few people actually look around and try mp3 players of phones when they buy an iPhone, most just go in and buy without even trying!).

aside from not having flash, how is this not the greatest mobile device for browsing the internet? what is better?

Well for starters for the devices already out you have the Archos 9, which runs a full OS and so can run any web page you can run on a full PC, size wise it is practically identical and price wise £500, then you have the myriad of other devices coming in the near future, both with W7 and Android as well as a few other devices (have a look at one of the posts I made earlier in this thread showing them).

whats better about the web browsing experience?

• Screen Size
  • Flash Support
  • Speed for intensive sites (I presume)
  • Choice of browsers
  • Having a familiar UI (ie, firefox, chrome etc)

It's literally a PC in a screen, a full blown OS with all the same freedom you would get with a laptop and / or a desktop.

I'm not dissing the iPad one bit, but for those who want the freedom that having a proper OS offers, I can't see the iPad as a serious tablet contender.

Gary.

Well for starters for the devices already out you have the Archos 9, which runs a full OS and so can run any web page you can run on a full PC, size wise it is practically identical and price wise £500, then you have the myriad of other devices coming in the near future, both with W7 and Android as well as a few other devices (have a look at one of the posts I made earlier in this thread showing them).

I'm sure I read the Archos 9 fails at Multi Touch, although can't confirm...I see that as a biggie though.

you have the Archos 9

"We were really impressed with the optical trackball, which registered our commands really quickly. The screen, as the press release notes, is a resistive number, although the performance certainly felt like a capacitive effort, which gives it the option of using a stylus as well, rather than just your finger, so in that sense it's better, although multi-touch is out the question."

OT really but although I agree slightly with you I don't think Apple will ever get a large market share the way they currently operate. In 15 years I reckon Apple will probably rise to around 15% of the market but then stagnate around that level (unless they opened OSX to other vendors). Windows will certainly loose market share, but not by a huge amount, mainly due to business and the jack of all trades it is. A lot of the loss microsoft make will probably be made up by something like Google Chrome OS (not the standard Linux flavours, including Ubunto), which will probably become the second larges OS (market share wise).

Have you seen the alternatives out there? Have a look at the Archos 9 for a start, has a 160GB HDD in there in a similar sized device. Also the HP slate that is being raved about, as well as a couple of Android devices.

For some reason Apple always get far more advertising than other companies. That in turn seems to make so many people not realise there are alternatives out there (iPods and iPhones are prime example of this, few people actually look around and try mp3 players of phones when they buy an iPhone, most just go in and buy without even trying!).

someone else mentioned sky plus before. I think that comes in again here. There are other vendors that do TV, like NTL and virgin but have you ever used them? They suck. Sky have the best menu navigation system and the easiest product, it's a breeze to use. The other pail in comparison.

Sure there are other mp3 and mp4 players that are cheaper and maybe have more features, but in general they just aren't as nice to use as ipods. The menu systems, the little nuances that make ipods and iphone so great are missing from these other devices, thats what you pay for when you buy an apple mobile device

I disagree as well, not really the same format. Those devices have been around for a while and can't really be compared to slate machines.

Hope I'm proven wrong then, it is a good thread. I am waiting on someone finding the golden nugget that is a Windows 7 Multi Touch Tablet, with a as big as or larger screen, in the region of £300 to £500 !

Gary.

I was jut going to recommend the Archos 9 but then found out it doesn't! Have to wait and seee what the HP slate does then.:LOL:

huh? How is it a compromise? what pattern do you believe I'm changing? I don't understand what you're asking here.

But it is a revolutionary screen for such a device. It's an IPS display, which means that you don't get differences in contrast just as you scan your eyes from the top to the bottom of the display. It means three or four people can be crowding around it and all see the exact same image.

You mentioned changing how you record images on your cards for one. However the inclusion of a USB connection in the camera thing should hopefully remove that issue anyway and explain how you are going to get stuff on to it (if you can just plug in a USB stick).

How do you know the other devices aren't IPS? Some haven't had all their details released yet and the others I can't find the info on...

The Archos 9 did look attractive to me until I read about the multi touch bit too. The thing is, I don't *NEED* a full blown PC. I have 3 different laptops already.

I just need a few questions answered on very specific things (that'll get answered once I'm able to get my hands on one), and then I'll make my decision.

I have a particular need that the iPad, so far, appears it would fit very very well.

doesn't do anything for me. I find the only restriction on my iphone with internet is the size of the screen. the rest of the experience is no worse than using my actual computer but with the added benefit of touch.

That archos 9 has no multi touch so it's losing already

You mentioned changing how you record images on your cards for one.
Whatever device I use, unless I plan to go with a Windows based device running Photoshop CS4 or the latest Lightroom (which I don't), I would have to shoot RAW+JPG anyway. Unless you can show me a device that will natively display NEF files produced by the D300s.

All it's really doing is adjusting one menu option to say "While you're saving out your RAW, throw a JPG on the other card". The D300s has dual card slots, and this is just one way it allows you to work. It's actually probably LESS effort to shoot RAW+JPG, and throw the SDHC card into the iPad to display the images to a client. Certainly a lot faster than transferring all the raw files over and then having to wait for Bridge/Photoshop/Whatever to go through them.

It's not so much about storage/backup in this instance, but more about quickly being able to go through image after a shoot with a client.

How do you know the other devices aren't IPS? Some haven't had all their details released yet and the others I can't find the info on...

Considering the image quality is one of their bigger selling points, and that now the iPad has announced it's an IPS display, you think the others would be jumping over themselves to say "Hey ours is IPS too! ours also looks sexy!" but they're not. I've yet to see a spec sheet on a device other than the iPad that says it is, so I'm therefore going to assume they aren't. If they are using IPS and their specs aren't far enough along that they can let this information loose yet, then the device certainly isn't going to be released in a timeline that's compatible with my needs.

IPS display, Multitouch. 2 reasons right there why I haven't found a suitable alternative to date (or an impending one in the future). Certainly not even close to that price point anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back