IR photography

Name
Marac Andrzej Kolodzinski
Edit My Images
No
This is an area I want to get into and I really want to buy a Canon DSLR converted to IR so if anyone has any tips or knows of such a camera for sale please let me know. Also feel free to post some IR photos if you have any with a quick bit about how it was done.

Many thanks.

I have just bought a D700 so my old 2nd camera is now my 3rd camera. It will soon be my dedicated IR camera. Its a D1x and I think its going to be great. I will be taking it apart and doing the conversion myself. Really looking forwards to it :)

Damien Lovegrove has some interesting IR stuff on his website (Lovegrove consulting) and details of conversions.

I have been playing with the idea of getting an old 20D and DIY'ing it

I have a Cokin IR P filter that I can sacrifice but very tiny balls

I have taken the D1x apart to replace the rear screen (I later found that you didn't need to) so I know it is not too difficult it is just a matter of using the right tools and keeping everything spotlessly clean. BUT what about IR film? Where would I buy that then? Oh and where to develop it?

as requested heres some of my favorites taken with a d70 converted with a lifepixel filter, i have found you need a really really sunny day to get the good effects, plus it needs quite a bit of work in PP to get the finished article, theres no SOOC with IR :)

Brean_0331_133.jpg

Shugbourgh_Hall_0761.jpg

Shugbourgh_Hall_0785.jpg

Brean_0148_130_143.jpg

Brean_0617_135.jpg

WOW those are excellent I have tried to post in the wanted forum but I am not allowed yet so if any of you guys know of a Canon IR camera going then I will be all over it.

I have had a Canon 400D converted by ACS in Norfolk. Seems perfect.
I also have a Fuji 5700 converted by a bloke in Ireland, which is also fantastic, but I think he has stopped doing conversions.

I have also used an old Olympus Superzoom with a Cokin IR filter on the front - worked fine, although it was a bit limited with the 3.2 megapixel file size. There are some images on my flickr page taken with the Oly, butu I dont have any eaxples of the canon in use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8402826@N03/

Sorry for the multiple posts, I should have though of what I wanted to say then post - rather than machine gun you with posts.

I like IR for portraits - the images are a bit unusual, but still obviously of the subject. And depending on the lighting surface blemishes, spots, stretch marks etc, can be much reduced, or dissapear.

i like ir but havent had much chance to try it out yet. Looking to get out soon once the weather improves

Diffrent cameras are more or less sensitive to IR, the older ones tend to be more sensitive. Some of the old compact zooms are particularly good for IR if i remember correctly.

as requested heres some of my favorites taken with a d70 converted with a lifepixel filter, i have found you need a really really sunny day to get the good effects, plus it needs quite a bit of work in PP to get the finished article, theres no SOOC with IR :)

Brean_0331_133.jpg

Shugbourgh_Hall_0761.jpg

Shugbourgh_Hall_0785.jpg

Brean_0148_130_143.jpg

Brean_0617_135.jpg

Lovely pics Dave, can I be cheeky and ask roughly what it cost?.
Wayne

Back