Is it a good time to buy a D810?

Edit My Images
Yes
With the 850 now arriving is the D810 a good buy? probably used.
Currently have a D7200, which I'd keep for compact travelling duties. My main interest is landscape and similar.

I have been using a Contax N system, the NDigital, while ancient and low res and noisy by today's standard did have a lovely rendered to the images when you got it right....
I say did, as it gone pop. no images recorded now.... gutted.
So got me thinking to move on to a Nikon FF

Why would it not be? The camera will be still as good now as it was when released. It's only gear heads with deep pockets buy every new model that comes out. There's many a very decent photographer still using old D700 Nikons and it doesn't bother them - probably because they don't visit forums :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't questioning the camera's ability or quality, more from a value and value for money perspective of best time to buy.
Prices may drop a bit more perhaps as D850 takes over?
Perhaps consider a D800 as well?

Prices don't seem to have shifted much, even on older models. I sold my D800E for £1100 nearly 2 years back and I see the likes of MPB still sell "Good" condition used ones for that. That's what I would buy if I was going back FF, because it's not missing out on much that the D810 has to offer. I'd buy a nice prime with the difference.

I would hold off until the D850 is readily available, then people will upgrade there D810's forcing down the used price. I would guess the D810 used prices will fall to where D800 prices are now at about £900 - £1,000. If it turns out the D850 has a few technical issues it may prompt the rapid announcement of the D860 further reducing the values of the used cameras below it. The trend in used camera prices is always down.

D810's have tumbled a bit on value since the release of the D850. A high mileage one (think just over 100k shutters actuation) sold on ebay last week for less than a grand. I was pretty tempted I have to say. I bought one about a year ago and they seemed to be £300-£500 more than they are now. I would say that makes now a pretty good time to buy if it's what you're after.

I must have been looking in the wrong places, no wonder I never get a bargain! :facepalm::LOL:

Might be worth waiting till after Christmas/New year, can't recall if that's a better or worse time for a buyer but I assume the former.

I think once the d850’s are more widely stocked the price of the D810 will fall.

To be honest it a complete guess what will happen, fair too many other factors. If you can find a D810 for £1100-1200 for an excellent condition low mileage D810 for to a good buy. I can't see prices dropping below £1000 for at least 6-12 moths because the D800/810 bodies seem to keep their price better than others (it's taken the D800 5 years to get to £800-900) and the D850 upgrade is over £3500. that price alone is going to be put off a few D810 users if they don't really need to upgrade. As much as I've heard good things about the D850 is it going to be worth three times the price of what they would get for their D810? I can see a few D3(s)and D4(s) users moving to the D850 if they don't really need very fast FPS, it would be cheaper than buying a D5 as a replacement.

Generally prices will always drop but the difference now is new cameras are so much more new now than ever before. The higher new price would have transferred to the used market if it wasn't for grey prices keeping them down.

Don't forget if you do go full frame you will need to factor in the price of any new lenses, and also things like SD to CF memory cards and cable release will need to be replaced. The D7200 to D750 is a good move if you want full frame as it uses the same accessories.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, i’ll Keep an eye out for a bargain. That said I guess after Christmas could be better, 850 is at launch cost I guess and will stay like that till after Christmas rush and sales, then perhaps drop a little? I did make the mistake to compare 850 to 810 and 800. Reads an impressive bit of kit, mustn’t get tempted LOL.
Lens wise I have 50/1,4 D, 85 1.8D 70-300 and 80-400 as compatible. Plan to add a 24-85 and 20 prime.

I'm conscious of that, which puts me off 1300-1400 used which seems typical, which still could be a grey camera. Might wait to see if grey drops a little more and go for one.

Last edited:
The price has fallen a little but I agree with the comments about waiting until the D850 is more available, the D810 should fall further.
AF aside the D810 wasn't a huge jump from the D800/D800E which is probably why those held their value for longer, the D850 is a much bigger leap over the preceding camera.

Back