Is it actually possible to make photos look good outside...

The lighting looks fine, if it was all just natural light! I'd have left a little more room around the model in the first two though.

To really make outdoor photos pop though, a flash gun would be ideal...it gives you so much control over the lighting...a definite if you are going to do a lot of this :)

The lighting looks fine, if it was all just natural light! I'd have left a little more room around the model in the first two though.

To really make outdoor photos pop though, a flash gun would be ideal...it gives you so much control over the lighting...a definite if you are going to do a lot of this :)

It was around 4:30pm, starting to get dark which is why the lighting is all messed up.

Shame though, i couldn't leave more room around the model because the fabric wasn't big enough, it would've shown a weird fence at the sides if i did.

I need some dead serious c&c :)

Sorry, not qualified to give serious CC, but here are my thoughts :

Nos 1 & 2 looks pretty good.
Those white lights / dots in BG are distracting - quick & simple to remove.
No3 looks a bit washed out.
As purpleclouds says, flash would probably be good for improvement.

Sorry, not qualified to give serious CC, but here are my thoughts :

Nos 1 & 2 looks pretty good.
Those white lights / dots in BG are distracting - quick & simple to remove.
No3 looks a bit washed out.
As purpleclouds says, flash would probably be good for improvement.

No way, sorry but the whole point of these shots was to have a bokeh background and it's exactly what i got, so i'm quite happy with that ;) the lighting is not good though :(

Last edited:
don't shoot so late, and try and get them into the shadows a bit.

Take a look at getting Annabel William's portrait book, she really can use natural light and get some amazing results :)

I really like the first two, I think the background actually looks ace and the colours are really vibrant. I know it's not much help for right now, but if you're after the bokeh background you could get a 50mm lens, I managed to get mine quite cheap from a chap on here, and it's fabulous! It's worth getting one (especially if you're poor like me haha!)

xxx

I really like the first two, I think the background actually looks ace and the colours are really vibrant. I know it's not much help for right now, but if you're after the bokeh background you could get a 50mm lens, I managed to get mine quite cheap from a chap on here, and it's fabulous! It's worth getting one (especially if you're poor like me haha!)

xxx

I'm getting my 50mm soon and i can't wait, i heard bokeh results are amazing with those lenses.

Thanks for your comment :D

xSitara™;1335653 said:
I'm getting my 50mm soon and i can't wait, i heard bokeh results are amazing with those lenses.

Thanks for your comment :D

You can get great bokeh with most lenses. I can't see your images but longer lenses and getting close to your subject make a big difference - also make sure your subject is as far away from the background as possible.

You can get great bokeh with most lenses. I can't see your images but longer lenses and getting close to your subject make a big difference - also make sure your subject is as far away from the background as possible.

Oh what? My pictures aren't coming up :/

Ya, i'm gonna try that today more distance between the subject and the background.

To answer the question in the thread title. Yes, it is possible. The standard kit lens with the XTi is a pretty good lens.

Now where some might disagree ( yourself included) is the definition of "good"

Once experience and eye catch up to equipment better glass is in order.

Thats just my thoughts

Last edited:
xSitara™;1336569 said:
Oh what? My pictures aren't coming up :/

Says images have been moved or deleted

On the tighter portraits a reflector would be very handy. Puts just enough light back onto your subject's face and is controllable too. If you are on a budget you can use just a sheet of white card or you can also cover one with tin foil.

The lighting just looks a little flat because you are missing any kind of highlight/shadow detail and no catchlights in the eyes.

Hope that helps.

Hi xSitara,
I think these are a great start and I love the background in number 2.
If you still have time this morning before your shoot, do what AliB said and get your self a couple of bits of card and some tin foil.
They don't have to be huge, A4 will do.
Leave one plain and scrunch the tin foil up then wrap it round the other.
You can use them to bounce light back on to your models face.

Good luck for today...

On the tighter portraits a reflector would be very handy. Puts just enough light back onto your subject's face and is controllable too. If you are on a budget you can use just a sheet of white card or you can also cover one with tin foil.

The lighting just looks a little flat because you are missing any kind of highlight/shadow detail and no catchlights in the eyes.

Hope that helps.

Hi xSitara,
I think these are a great start and I love the background in number 2.
If you still have time this morning before your shoot, do what AliB said and get your self a couple of bits of card and some tin foil.
They don't have to be huge, A4 will do.
Leave one plain and scrunch the tin foil up then wrap it round the other.
You can use them to bounce light back on to your models face.

Good luck for today...

Great idea, i was thinking to do that and did actually try putting some tin foil on a some cardboard, honestly though it didn't work, but i am going to go ahead and use white card.

Yes Bablee, your equipment is adequate for you. At this stage you personally do not need expensive lighting and lenses. You, as the photographer are the creator of the image and to achieve better images you must develop your skills. Contrary to what a lot of people might think, throwing money at it is not the answer. In fact many people tie themselves down with so much equipment and over concern with technical matters that becoming a better photographer become even more difficult.
Keep at it and have fun.

Sam-D

Thanks alot Sam, this is why i made this thread to get answers and advice for my next shoot hopefully. :D

Back