Is it worth going from a .....

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
...Nikkor 70-300 4-5.6 to the same lens but with VR. I shoot a lot of track stuff and want something that will help the success rate of my photos. Id love a 2.8 300mm etc but just cant afford it right now.

Can anyone comment on whether the VR will significantly help my images?

I've had the 70-300 G, the ultra cheep one, and now have the VR version. There is a huge difference between the two.

But first, let me tell you that I - one of the rare few - find the G model to be fantastic. If you "learn" to use it within its' limits, it's a fantastic lens.

Where the VR version outshines it, it's sharper, faster to focus (a lot faster, I should add) and yes the VR does make a difference.

For the records, I went ...

Nikon 70-300G => Sigma 70-200/2.8 => Nikon 70-200VR => Nikon 70-300VR

Yes, I down-graded in the end, simply so that I can get better shots. The 70-200VR was too heavy for me to hand-hold, hence the 70-300VR allows me to hand-hold for prolong periods without overly straining my hand.

I can't talk about going from non-VR>VR versions, but I am really impressed with my 70-300 VR (happens to be for sale on the forums too :naughty:).

They are supposedly soft at the 300mm end, but unless you are pixel peeping, I really cannot tell the difference.

A great lens, but as I mostly do available light, I have found it's not fast enough so am moving to the 80-200 2.8 for the extra stops (had an original one-touch version 15 years ago and loved it too!)

I can't talk about going from non-VR>VR versions, but I am really impressed with my 70-300 VR (happens to be for sale on the forums too :naughty:).

A cheeky ad there, I like it!!:naughty::)

Thanks for the help guys. I do want to take my motorsport shots to the next level but cant afford thousands for a fast lens. Like I say Im just trying to work out if its worth spending 350-400 for the VR

Back