Is my 7d mark ii sharp?

Can't see them. I don't have a Dropbox log in.

Cancel. I can see them now but I'm only on my iPad will have to look on a bigger screen later.

I can't tell you that it's "sharp as a tack", but it's close. For what it's worth, I met a chap on Tuesday with a new 7Dii (first time I'd seen one) and he said that he had to micro-adjust ALL of his L series lenses with his new toy to the dame degree. He said that it was definately an issue with the camera and not the lenses.

Just had a look at a couple of the RAW files, the main one looking at is 46.CR2, giving where the focus is shown just below the head looking at the shot in DPP I would say that is sharp specially given the dark conditions, the head is not as sharp as the body but you didn't focus on that part and with the 800mm lens which equals 1,280mm on the 7D will give some depth of field issues if not focused in the correct location, I think if you could provide test images with the 7D on a more open area, i.e signs, charts where you can gather better light I think it would help show better, also have you tried it with other lenses? Personally from what I can see there is sharp areas within the images, but frame filling a bird with a 800mm lens will bring along with itself quite a few DOF issues...

On another note I have been using the 7D Mark II mainly with a Canon 500mm f/4L IS & 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS and have found no issues at all regarding focus, it is simply nailing it every time. When the camera arrived it came with the latest 1.0.4 firmware (don't know if that would make any difference??) and I'm finding no AF issues at all, the camera is producing sharp results. If you want me to post some tests shots up or RAW's I can happily do that :)

Last edited:
Just had a look at a couple of the RAW files, the main one looking at is 46.CR2, giving where the focus is shown just below the head looking at the shot in DPP I would say that is sharp specially given the dark conditions, the head is not as sharp as the body but you didn't focus on that part and with the 800mm lens which equals 1,280mm on the 7D will give some depth of field issues if not focused in the correct location, I think if you could provide test images with the 7D on a more open area, i.e signs, charts where you can gather better light I think it would help show better, also have you tried it with other lenses? Personally from what I can see there is sharp areas within the images, but frame filling a bird with a 800mm lens will bring along with itself quite a few DOF issues...

On another note I have been using the 7D Mark II mainly with a Canon 500mm f/4L IS & 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS and have found no issues at all regarding focus, it is simply nailing it every time. When the camera arrived it came with the latest 1.0.4 firmware (don't know if that would make any difference??) and I'm finding no AF issues at all, the camera is producing sharp results. If you want me to post some tests shots up or RAW's I can happily do that :)

Looking at the same file, focus is on the birds neck area but the top of the wing looks sharper.

Looking at a few it seems there is area more sharp than the area you have focused on the neck but the shoulder and beak seem to be more sharp.
It seems the focus is a few mm closer than where you are focussing but that is a tiny distance over the length you are shooting at.

I cannot see what shutter speeds you are using - I noticed that from some of your recent postings that they were quite low, (1/30th on one shot and 1/200th on another)

Last edited:
Back