Is the D90 still worth getting? (as my first DSLR)

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Right… i was all set to go purchase the D5100 on the weekend. Went to jessops, had a play with D3200 and D5100 both practically felt the same didnt prefer one more than the other but with the slightly lower price tag the D5100 ‘was’ the one. Then the assistant pulled out the D90 which instantly felt right in my hands, much bigger and sturdier and felt like a proper DSLR!! Now i had a problem, the D90 i know is a much older camera and as this is my first DSLR it needs to be a good investment and one that i wont want to upgrade in a few years time. Im a competent photographer albeit not a regular one and now cant decide if really the D90 is abit 'old-hat' to be using for the next few years and should i invest in more up-to-date technology? i dont need video, shoot mainly landscape and looking to get more into HDR & macro. I aware the D90 is a perfectly able camera, Im simply after the one which will produce the better pictures and the one I can continue to grow into. In an ideal world id buy the D7000 but this is over budget.

It's a great camera. I'd probably steer towards a D300 for the advanced features and buy a good used one for about £400 though to future proof a little.

You said it, it feels right in your hands. That's always the key decision for me. I had a D90 a few years back and it was a good camera then and still is now. Don't be too pre-occupied by the latest tech. The D90 will still deliver.

I chose D90 because of the bigger viewfinder with pentaprism, all the direct buttons (AF-mode, ISO and so on). top screen I enjoy to be able to see my main settings in a second. the D90 is a camera you can grow with.
The D90 is a great But, don't forget the size and weight difference. How a camera feels in your grip and how well it might balance future lenses are issues that you should examine first hand

Last edited:
The D90 is still an amazingly good camera.

I have just upgraded from a D80 to a D90 and cannot complain.

Love my D90 and although may upgrade to D600 soon, will probably keep it as it feels comfortable with its size, menu's etc. Plenty going cheap on here too, better to use any extra money on decent glass?

If it felt better in the hand than the other two you tried (D3200 and D5100) then it's worth going for. It's still a good spec camera for what it is and you can still print decent size pictures from it.

Only possibly downside to it is the ISO performance might not be as good as the other two but if you hardly shoot at high ISO I wouldn't worry about it. Judging by what type of shooting you said you would do I can't see any use for high ISO there so I think a D90 might be what your after.

I've had a D90 for 3yrs and still use mine even though I also bought a D700 a few months back.

I learned all my stuff with the D90 and think it makes a great 1st/2nd camera. I've now kinda outgrown mine but I seriously don't see anything currently in Nikons DX line up that will constitute as a worthwhile replacement which is a credit to the D90.

In todays market the D90 is fantastic value for money - better value than a few others in Nikons line up;)

Yes, the D90 is "old" but it was a class leading camera in its day and it doesn't stop being brilliant because Nikon release new bodies with high MP or other exteas. I too like the physical size and it has buttons not menus for most of the important settings, tge top LCD is useful. Furthermore the internal flash is a commander for Nikon CLS system and it has an internal drive motor so it can autofocus AF-D and G lens. Slower yes but cheap as well.

Buy one before its too late.

I got mine last years from Bestbuys closing sales for <£500 with the 18+105mm lens :) BNIB !!!!

In an ideal world id buy the D7000 but this is over budget.[/QUOTE]

Check out hdew cameras online, they sell the D7000 body for a verygood price...

D7000's going secondhand here for 500 these days with not many clicks.....not 'that' much more more than d90's at 350, but if its out of budget, its out of budget...
Would have another D90 though great camera....all depends where you're at and we're you're going....

Most definitely! Nearly sold mine recently to upgrade but decided to get some better glass and keep it.It really is a great little camera and very capable.:cool:

Thanks for all the advice! The D90 felt instantly right and with such cheap used prices i just wanted to make sure i wasnt buying something which has had its day and was beaten by the newer tech entry level DSLR's.

Budget wise i am looking at £500 so if there are D7000's going for that price i might just hold off as im not in any particular rush. Although i am beginning to 'itch' so the D90 might not be far away...

Back