Is there any country more unsporting than the Aussies?

Actually, Ricky Ponting was a walker, and almost as honest and willing to as Gilchrist was! I remember occasions, and first page of a google search just on Ponting walking gave:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/12/15/what-to-make-of-ricky-pontings-walk/

Heh, I don't think walking off in disgust after almost falling over plumb in front, as he looks to check that the umpire is raising his finger, really makes him a walker. :D

To quote the man himself after he stood his ground in the World Cup when he was caught behind against Pakistan,

"There were no doubts about the nick, I knew I hit it,''

"But as always I wait for the umpire to give me out. That's the way I've always played the game.''

Quote from Ponting in 2011

"There were no doubts about the nick, I knew I hit it, but as always I wait for the umpire to give me out. That's the way I've always played the game,"

Effectively Mitchell Johnson was using his own version of bodyline when he went round the wicket to Carberry. He simply bowled at him and Carberry didn't know what to do with it. Not many 90 mph lefties in the uk to practice against.

Australia were simply too good in this test. They had a game plan, stuck to it and it came off. Different pitch, different game next. It will be interesting to see what the Aussies have up their sleeve if they try the same tactics and they don't work.

Plenty of time to turn it around. Or not!!

I like Broad. I think he's got a bit of fire in him and that's what England need. Just wish he was a bit more consistent.

Here, what's this about match-fixing in the lower football leagues of a certain country? Disgusting!

Hey, we can hope :) I'm sure I remember him walking, although maybe that was when he retired at 400 on 5 occasions. (We might stretch the truth a little too!). Maybe it's just coz I'm imagining another big win to the Aussies by Saturday? :p

OMG, match fixing?? Who can I place a bet with?

Yea, I mean what, that's the second test he's lost. Just awful.

Well, Boycott in todays Telegraph backs up my thoughts further up this thread. He has no balls, is negative and cannot captain a team. When things get tough you notice how good a captain or manager is and Cook is out of his depth, he has to take responsibility and make way for a better man.

Is there a better man? From what I have seen all of the senior players should take a long hard look at themselves and their approach to this series. I dont see anyone to step up to the plate. Certainly not Peterson who, like Boycott, plays for himself. Once again this country has believed their own hype when all was going our way. The series in the summer was far closer than the scoreline implied and, as with this series, a little bit of luck on australias part in the summer or englands part in this current series could have seen a different result to some matches. Lets not forget that australia have been on the rack and been bailed out by their tailenders on 3 occassions.

England have some good batsmen and bowlers. You dont suddenly become a bad player. For me the approach from the team leaves a lot to be desired. Its as if the attitude when things arent going to plan is to say sod it and have a thrash.

Anyone would be better than cook based on the stuffing we are getting. Broad maybe, or bell perhaps. Another joke of a performance. Why drop root who is young and keep carberry who is old?

Anyone would be better than cook based on the stuffing we are getting. Broad maybe, or bell perhaps. Another joke of a performance. Why drop root who is young and keep carberry who is old?

Forget Broad as a captain. He was quietly removed from it before. realistically youd have to look at Bell or Prior and Prior cannot be sure of his place, although I expect to see him back.

Petersen is a non starter. Selfish, and believes his own hype. I also think that the rest of the team would have issues with him as Captain. I thought Carbery would give some stability, he seemed to have the patience , if not to build a big innings, to graft and make the bowlers work for his wicket. I would give him a bit more time. What England need is a batsmen in the Boycott mould, who, although selfish would never give away his wicket. They need a cpouple of grafters whos are sound technically and are prepared to be patient. Too much chasing the wrong ball from the top order batsmen at the moment.

Forget Broad as a captain. He was quietly removed from it before. realistically youd have to look at Bell or Prior and Prior cannot be sure of his place, although I expect to see him back.

No one was questioning Cook as Captain when he lead England to victory in India. I would like to see him carry on and don't expect him to be dropped as Captain, I also do not see it all down to him. They have not planned well for the tour, simple as that.

Secondly I agree Broad would be a awful captain, not sure Bell would be any good either and prior looks like he has had his day. Bairstow while not a great keeper (Prior wasn't either when first selected) has show he is capable. He took a great catch today.

We have to sort out this mess before the early tests in the summer (I think its Sri Lanka).

Looking forward to seeing how the Aussies go in South Africa next month. Their bowlers look better than they were (not hard) but I think England made them appear far better than they really are. The Aussie batsmen look as weak as ever, relying on Haddin and the tail to save them constantly.

I expect the Saffers will kill them... but then I expected England to do that too. :D

There doesn't seem to be any sort of list for replacement captains. Prior is a busted flush at present. Bell isn't captaincy material. Broad doesn't fit the bill at all. Interestingly Michael Vaughan is making the case for appointing KP as vice captain. That might work as being the polar opposite to Cook, but as full captain? Perish the thought.

Its not just the team thats needs to be looked at. The coaches and support staff all need to be asking them selves whether the set up that we have is the right one. For gooch to say that he had never seen Bairstow backing away previously then you have to ask the question is he the right man for the job.

One good thing to come out of it is that Stokes gives the impression that he could be a good asset for the team.

Petersen as captain would be a disaster.

Although the Aussies have played well, the bowlers especially strong showing the benefits of accurate good length bowling, they are not without their own issues. Slightly masked by their dominance however.

For me it is hard to admire the aussie team due to the minority like Warner and Johnson who are complete ****ers. Bad sportsmen in defeat and bad sportsmen in victory. Always have been and always will be.

Guys, we have lost the first test, that is it, not the series, don`t be so downbeat.

England are a good team, they have not become crap overnight............I hope...........:thinking:

Ade can we be downbeat now:)

Back