is this repairable?

Name
keith
Edit My Images
Yes

broken by keith_r_rutherford, on Flickr

or more importantly, is it worth repairing? i was out this morning in a park shooting a friend and his girlfriend, set my camera down on a bench and when i lifted it the strap snagged on the back of the bench. fell to the ground and broke just above the mount as you can see :crying:

the optics are fine front and back and the camera has a bit of mud on it but i used a 50mm for the rest of the shoot so all was well.

has anyone had this kind of damaged repaired by sigma and if so how much would they be looking for. the lens was bought second hand from ffordes and is the older 24-70/2.8 ex dg (not the newer macro/hsm), so reasonably cheap in the scheme of things

Does it still mount and everything work as it should? If so, I'd remove/superglue offending bits and keep it as a fair weather lens. Given its market value, I doubt it would be worth a professional repair - which I suspect will cost £100+

the zoom ring doesn't move at all, and sigma quote £52.99 per hour for repairs plus the price of the replacement parts! starting to think that the only option will be a new lens, the mrs has actually given her blessing to this! so i may just take her up on that offer before she changes her mind lol

only sigma have the answer, give them a shout. theyll probably want to see it and quote, there is a small charge if you dont want to proceed for the return cost.

they repaired my 120-300 under the service tarrif with no extra charge for parts that ended up coming from HK.

Yup, I'd go new lens in your position too. You will also get a decent price for a spares or repairs listing on ebay. Lots of people out there who can repair without the need for going to the repair centres and then sell on as refurbs for profit.

Yup, I'd go new lens in your position too. You will also get a decent price for a spares or repairs listing on ebay. Lots of people out there who can repair without the need for going to the repair centres and then sell on as refurbs for profit.

i hadn't even thought about selling it for spares/repairs! that might be worth thinking about to recoup a little of the costs of the new item

Thank god for photo insurance eh, just claim

Back