Is This Worth It? - Nikon SB-900 Flash

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Was not sure where to post this but here seemed a reasonable option.

I am looking to get a flash for occasional use and came across a second hand SB-900, described as in good condition, for £80 - Is this a good price?

Alternatively can someone recommend a new non OEM flash that would work on a Nikon D90

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Milo

Hi All,

Was not sure where to post this but here seemed a reasonable option.

I am looking to get a flash for occasional use and came across a second hand SB-900, described as in good condition, for £80 - Is this a good price?

Alternatively can someone recommend a new non OEM flash that would work on a Nikon D90

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Milo
That seems like a good deal. I use Godox speedlight, as I like how they operate, and all their lights work from the one trigger, and they are all a very reasonable price. If your just getting a flash for occasional use, I would get the SB900. What camera are you using ?

Hi Tel,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am using a D90 at the moment

Best,

Milo

Reactions: TG.
Hi Milo,

That does seem like a good price but the 900 did have reported overheating issues.

I have two 910 which resolved that issue and I got my first one for £100 and the 2nd for £120.

Both are great even though the first is a little dinged up.

James

Hi Milo,

That does seem like a good price but the 900 did have reported overheating issues.

Yes I had forgotten about that, and indeed I did have that issue on a shoot, many years ago whilst using 3 of them.

The same place has a SB-910 for £130, described as in excellent condition

Is this also a good price?

I’ve had an Sb900 for over 10 years.
Don‘t get hung up about the overheating issue, especially since you mentioned “occasional use”. It’s only a problem when used intensively ie many many flashes in quick succession. I’ve never encountered the problem. It doesn’t damage the flash, it simply stops it functioning until it cools down

i think I paid about £320 so, if fully functioning, it looks like a good deal.

Second the recommendation for Godox - a TT685II-N in your case would give you a much more versatile flash (IMO) plus the possibility to trigger other off camera (Godox) flashes.

A year ago I'd shot about a dozen frames with a flash in the preceding 35 years. Now I'm flash mad with the badgers at night.

Keep an eye on eBay & Amazon for deals.

My mate uses the SB900, it has overheated but only once or twice and he's been really hammering a at the time, its used every day and normally it's fine on weddings, it's only when he really pushed it itgets hot, even then mostly it's fine.
If your dust using it now and again I wouldnt worry.

If occasional use, then SB-900 will be grand. The SB-910 didn't completely fix the issue - the resolution came with the SB-5000.

So, unless you want to copy the paparazzi in a film, the SB-900 will be grand - £80 is a good price.

If occasional use, then SB-900 will be grand. The SB-910 didn't completely fix the issue - the resolution came with the SB-5000.

So, unless you want to copy the paparazzi in a film, the SB-900 will be grand - £80 is a good price.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

Best,

Milo

Back